Episode 169 - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie: LIVE!

182 replies to this topic

#41 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:14 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 18 August 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

The beginning is VERY slow. But now you have something to look forward to I guess?

I did the same thing as,Tom (clicked the Spoiler). I'm also only 1 1/2 episodes in and haven't been too impressed. I found the first episode to be terribly done. So far, the second is a bit of an improvement. I'm glad to hear it gets better!

ETA: Finn Jones is the worst! IF is problematic as it is, Jones doesn't help - at all!
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#42 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

this is actually the 30th anniversary, to the week, of this movie's release. is it just a coincidence that this is the week it got the HDTGM treatment?

#43 americancrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

Here is my theory about the spaceship at the beginning:

They finished the movie. Then, at some point, the MPAA or studio execs thought, "Holy shit, you can't have children drinking, fighting, being horny, etc.!"

So they simply added the spaceship in the beginning (which has no relation to the movie and could have simply been inserted in). Then, they could point to it and say "Those weren't children, they were aliens! So we're clear--they can get as drunk and as horny as they want!"

#44 americancrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

Also, is anyone else getting a Berenstain/Shazam vibe off of this episode?

My wife and I watched this about two years ago and I will swear up and down on anything holy that we did so because he had just listened to a HDTGM episode about this movie. I can't imagine why we would have watched it otherwise.

#45 americancrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

I am also shocked, shocked that no one brought up "tough toothpaste." That sounds like something that would be repeated ad nauseam throughout the episode.

#46 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

Since they didn't mention it in the show, the movie director Rod Amateau lost all his hair making was the original Mighty Joe Young.

#47 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 18 August 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Slight minor correction not of Paul but for his Wikipedia based information. In Japan the cards were called ぶきみくん Bukimi-kun which somebody translated as Mr. Creepy. In my opinion it's not really a good translation. Bukimi could translate as creepy or eerie, but it's the mister part that's really kind of inaccurate. In Japanese the suffix of -san after the name can be used for men and women regardless of age and is a pretty much one point translation to mister or miss. However, there are other post name suffixs that carry a more nuanced meaning that often doesn't translate in English. Kun is one of them. It's a term of affection or familiarity used mostly with young boys. We don't really do this in English. It would kinda be like calling a boy "Davie" instead of "David". Not really the same but close as we can get. The point is by calling them -kun you are denoting that they are children and not really applying the title or mister to them. Also important to note in Japanese there is no singular or plural, so the name refers to all of them not just one. Therefore in my opinion a better named would be "The Creepies" and not "Mr. Creepy."

Or... we go by the full title of the movie in Japan.
ダーティ・キッズ ぶきみくん Daati Kizzu Bukimi-Kun or Dirty Kids, The Creepies.
Posted Image

As a Big ol' Linguistics Nerd, I love this post. Also, my manager/dear friend might be moving to Japan so she and I have been having this EXACT SAME DISCUSSION about the use of suffixes in Japanese and how there really no analog in English. Nicely done.
"Lot of duck butter here at the lake today, eh Pack?"
"Quiff city, here I come!"
- The Wraith

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#48 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostCameron H., on 19 August 2017 - 01:14 AM, said:

I did the same thing as,Tom (clicked the Spoiler). I'm also only 1 1/2 episodes in and haven't been too impressed. I found the first episode to be terribly done. So far, the second is a bit of an improvement. I'm glad to hear it gets better!

ETA: Finn Jones is the worst! IF is problematic as it is, Jones doesn't help - at all!

I'm on episode 5 and enjoying it but I'm seriously lacking backstory because I only watched half of S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. But maybe that makes it more enjoyable since I'm not worried about whatever their personal stuff is? I do get a little bored at parts too, but whenever the Defenders are all together or their personal side characters hang out it seems to be more engaging.
Full disclosure, I find Finn Jones very attractive so his bland acting doesn't bother me as much. Also thank god Rosario Dawnson is the connective tissue for a lot of these worlds otherwise I would be very lost.

#49 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

I'm on episode 5 and enjoying it but I'm seriously lacking backstory because I only watched half of S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. But maybe that makes it more enjoyable since I'm not worried about whatever their personal stuff is? I do get a little bored at parts too, but whenever the Defenders are all together or their personal side characters hang out it seems to be more engaging.

Those are the best parts. There should've been a whole episode about all the side characters interactions at the police station.

The backstory I gave to my sister, who hadn't seen Iron Fist or Daredevil was "basically they want to to believe NYC is lousy with ninjas but I've never seen one and I lived here for 11 years. Also Danny Rand is the worst."

It was stupid to decide to come up with ways that each character becomes involved with the fight. Why not just have the earthquake or some large event and everyone comes running? It makes the first episode (and everything up until the end of 3, I think) very choppy and slow. I mean, obviously I liked the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones parts best because I love those two characters but every time it cut back to Iron Fist I was like "damnit."

If you don't like Iron Fist, like me,
Spoiler

#50 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 19 August 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

The backstory I gave to my sister, who hadn't seen Iron Fist or Daredevil was "basically they want to to believe NYC is lousy with ninjas but I've never seen one and I lived here for 11 years. Also Danny Rand is the worst."

They're all working at Ninja restaurant.
Also, Frank Bruni's restaurant review is one of the funniest things I've read from the food section of the nytimes.

#51 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

As an IF (comics) fan, I think Jones comes off better in this than in his own show - but he's still far from perfect. Like, if you listen to his dialogue, you can tell he's supposed to be almost a comedic character, but he just can't pull it off. A good example is when Claire brings LC and IF together to talk. Coleen starts telling his story and it's the classic, "I can speak for myself, but but I end up repeating word-for-word what you just said" gag, but coming from Jones there's absolutely no humor or charm in it. It just comes out angsty and sounds like he's shutting his girlfriend up. But once you get him in Ninja Restaurant, he loosens up a bit.

I also loved him and Luke together. There's a shot of them side-by-side when they were fighting that made me very happy. I'd love to see them in a Heroes for Hire show. All I want, since we're stuck with him, is for Jones to lighten the fuck up.

Everyone else is great, though :)
Miami Connection (1988)

#52 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 19 August 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Those are the best parts. There should've been a whole episode about all the side characters interactions at the police station.

The backstory I gave to my sister, who hadn't seen Iron Fist or Daredevil was "basically they want to to believe NYC is lousy with ninjas but I've never seen one and I lived here for 11 years. Also Danny Rand is the worst"

Here's my only follow up question - why is Karen such a bummer?

Besides that, I think I'm caught up.

#53 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

View PostSaraK, on 19 August 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

Besides that, I think I'm caught up.

Oh, lord! I was making fun of her "breathe-talking" yesterday and nearly passed out - lol. She doesn't speak like that in real life, why would she make that choice?
Miami Connection (1988)

#54 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

I don't think they know what to do with Karen. I was really surprised when she didn't die in DD S2.

#55 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 19 August 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Also, Frank Bruni's restaurant review is one of the funniest things I've read from the food section of the nytimes.

True story: One of my boss's clients was coming into NYC and wanted to go to Ninja. And my boss asked me if I wanted to come along and I said no. I turned DOWN free food, which is the opposite of my general aesthetic.

I don't know. I liked that actress when she was on True Blood (confession: I stopped before things go weird.) But all they let her do is just like, cry and be afraid. She's there to cry. It's very unfair.

I was actually kind of upset when I learned she'd be on "Punisher" too. Because I was like "Oh great what horrible things will she have to endure with TWO superhero male friends/possible love interests."

I put up my non-spoilery review of THE DEFENDERS if anyone cares.

#56 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 19 August 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Great review, Elektra - as always :)

Miami Connection (1988)

#57 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Elektra - I was Tweeting Marc Bernardin that I thought Lewis Tan or Eka Darville would have been great as Iron Fist and some joker replied:

"Really what acting ability has Lewis Tan shown anywhere gives you an inkling he would have been good? His scene was the worst of the series"

Posted Image
Miami Connection (1988)

#58 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 19 August 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

As a Big ol' Linguistics Nerd, I love this post. Also, my manager/dear friend might be moving to Japan so she and I have been having this EXACT SAME DISCUSSION about the use of suffixes in Japanese and how there really no analog in English. Nicely done.

Thank you. Seeing as you have to use them at work and not as much socially the best advice I can give is don't always copy what people say. Japan has a lot of up down hierarchy type relationships and while it maybe okay for one co-worker to call another co-worker -kun or something similar, depending on where you fall it might not be acceptable to do the same.

View Posttomspanks, on 19 August 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

I now believe that's the second time I've seen that and still as confused.

I've been conflicted over watching the Defenders mostly because I didn't watch Iron Fist because of obvious reasons and I read that he's very critical to the story. I've come around to realizing I don't need to watch Iron Fist first, but still a little weary. I'll get there though. Also as a comic nerd with no Hulk, Doctor Strange, Namor and Silver Surfer these aren't the Defenders I want and think they should have just called it Heroes for Hire.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#59 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 19 August 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

...they should have just called it Heroes for Hire.

I totally agree, but I'm guessing that wasn't as marketable - not as punchy. It sucks, though, since now we'll never get a "true" Defenders movie. Even if you can't get Surfer or Namor because of rights issues (although I think Namor is theirs again), you could have easily put in Ghost Rider, Valkyrie, or just about anyone on this list.
Miami Connection (1988)

#60 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostCameron H., on 19 August 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

I totally agree, but I'm guessing that wasn't as marketable - not as punchy. It sucks, though, since now we'll never get a "true" Defenders movie. Even if you can't get Surfer or Namor because of rights issues (although I think Namor is theirs again), you could have easily put in Ghost Rider, Valkyrie, or just about anyone on this list.

That's true. I mean they want this to be the Netflix Avengers so they need that one word title. Although, this does make me think Hellcat was a Defender for a long time and she's technically on the show.

Here are my comic nerd question about the show, I'll take my answers in a spoiler tag.
-Do we get Daughters of the Dragon?
-Do Danny and Misty start dating?
-Does Trish ever become Hellcat?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)