🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 169 - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie: LIVE!

He worked on this film in designing the make up for the Garbagepail Kids.

Ooof, that's a credit you'd 'accidentally' leave off your resume. It's jobs like that which Alan Smithee credits were invented for.

• Like 3

Ooof, that's a credit you'd 'accidentally' leave off your resume. It's jobs like that which Alan Smithee credits were invented for.

Or additionally you leave it on and when asked about it claim you were given $100 to make them all and look how much you did with so little!

No, you're right. Alan Smithee all the way.

• Like 4

Who says the show pictures need to be taken on an LG flip phone?

So, there's an episode of the Cosby Show (link) where Rudy and her friends want to watch a movie called "The Gross-out Gang," and I'll be damned if it doesn't seem like a direct reference to the GPK Movie -- silly music and gross noises with very little actual dialogue heard. Even before I watched this movie, I remember thinking that Gross-out Gang had to be a GPK send-up. But no! Turns out that the Gross-out Gang is an actual thing:

gog-detail01.jpg

I mean, goddamn, how much of this does the world need?

• Like 4

"When we come to the audience, you can do your screaming then...question mark?" I kind of wanted Jason to go off on the people who were shouting dumb shit.

Like, there's a part of the show that encourages audience participation, and it's not the first half. People didn't come to the show to hear you shout nonsense; they want to hear the people on stage.

• Like 5

Omission: I was really hoping for extended discussion of the fact that one of the creators of the Garbage Pail Kids is Art Spiegelman, creator the famous graphic-novel Holocaust memoir Maus:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2012/03/art_spiegelman_tells_the_story_of_garbage_pail_kids_.html

Properly understood Garbage Pail Kids is clearly an elaborate metaphor for the impossibility of beauty after Auschwitz.

• Like 5

Or additionally you leave it on and when asked about it claim you were given $100 to make them all and look how much you did with so little!

No, you're right. Alan Smithee all the way.

I've always found the Troll and Ghoulies puppets/costumes to be strangely adorable, so these costumes being so off putting was a shock. I'm choosing to believe that they didn't give him much of a budget to work with considering this mess of a movie and how badly the original artists were ripped off.

• Like 2

Omission: I was really hoping for extended discussion of the fact that one of the creators of the Garbage Pail Kids is Art Spiegelman, creator the famous graphic-novel Holocaust memoir Maus:

Maus was part of the reason why Spiegelman bailed before the cards really got going, IIRC.

Spiegelman would later become the cover artist for the New Yorker.

spiegelman-cover1.jpg

• Like 2

I loved Jason's constant bewilderment over Foul Phil (the "straight-up baby"). I listened to the ep again just for those segments.

tumblr_inline_nhgk4rC2Xo1spcw3a.gif

• Like 1

Slight minor correction not of Paul but for his Wikipedia based information. In Japan the cards were called ぶきみくん Bukimi-kun which somebody translated as Mr. Creepy. In my opinion it's not really a good translation. Bukimi could translate as creepy or eerie, but it's the mister part that's really kind of inaccurate. In Japanese the suffix of -san after the name can be used for men and women regardless of age and is a pretty much one point translation to mister or miss. However, there are other post name suffixs that carry a more nuanced meaning that often doesn't translate in English. Kun is one of them. It's a term of affection or familiarity used mostly with young boys. We don't really do this in English. It would kinda be like calling a boy "Davie" instead of "David". Not really the same but close as we can get. The point is by calling them -kun you are denoting that they are children and not really applying the title or mister to them. Also important to note in Japanese there is no singular or plural, so the name refers to all of them not just one. Therefore in my opinion a better named would be "The Creepies" and not "Mr. Creepy."

Or... we go by the full title of the movie in Japan.

ダーティ・キッズ ぶきみくん Daati Kizzu Bukimi-Kun or Dirty Kids, The Creepies.

933037928.jpg

• Like 10

This is more horrifying that my Gomez Addams thoughts. That man has a Pulitzer Prize. This feels wrong.

P.S The Defenders came out today...

P.P.S. How are you today, Elektra?

I'm doing very well, Cameron! "Defenders" did come out today and I binged it all.

I think it was a gift to me personally that Elektra 2 kicked Danny Rand around like a little bitch at the end.

• Like 6

^ clicked on the spoiler even though I only got through 3 episodes (felt like a chore btw) and it was worth it

• Like 4

^ clicked on the spoiler even though I only got through 3 episodes (felt like a chore btw) and it was worth it

The beginning is VERY slow. But now you have something to look forward to I guess?

• Like 3

Ok, so the wrong Jon Lovitz, but this was a great episode. The crew wasn't necessarily phoning it in the last few, but they didn't seem too into the task at hand. Jason was in top Zouks form here. I love that Paul was super intense watching the movie. And June? She was on fire this episode. She was awesome.

Moving on, when is real Jon Lovitz coming on the show?

• Like 1

So, there's an episode of the Cosby Show (link) where Rudy and her friends want to watch a movie called "The Gross-out Gang," and I'll be damned if it doesn't seem like a direct reference to the GPK Movie -- silly music and gross noises with very little actual dialogue heard. Even before I watched this movie, I remember thinking that Gross-out Gang had to be a GPK send-up. But no! Turns out that the Gross-out Gang is an actual thing:

gog-detail01.jpg

I mean, goddamn, how much of this does the world need?

THIS IS A REAL THING? I was certain it was a parody of Garbage Pail Kids

I remember the Gross Out Gang from the Cosby show so vividly. For some reason, the way some character says, "I ate too many hot dogs" is etched into my brain and it's such a stupid reference that no one gets.

• Like 2

The beginning is VERY slow. But now you have something to look forward to I guess?

I did the same thing as,Tom (clicked the Spoiler). I'm also only 1 1/2 episodes in and haven't been too impressed. I found the first episode to be terribly done. So far, the second is a bit of an improvement. I'm glad to hear it gets better!

ETA: Finn Jones is the worst! IF is problematic as it is, Jones doesn't help - at all!

• Like 4

Here is my theory about the spaceship at the beginning:

They finished the movie. Then, at some point, the MPAA or studio execs thought, "Holy shit, you can't have children drinking, fighting, being horny, etc.!"

So they simply added the spaceship in the beginning (which has no relation to the movie and could have simply been inserted in). Then, they could point to it and say "Those weren't children, they were aliens! So we're clear--they can get as drunk and as horny as they want!"

• Like 2

Also, is anyone else getting a Berenstain/Shazam vibe off of this episode?

My wife and I watched this about two years ago and I will swear up and down on anything holy that we did so because he had just listened to a HDTGM episode about this movie. I can't imagine why we would have watched it otherwise.

I am also shocked, shocked that no one brought up "tough toothpaste." That sounds like something that would be repeated ad nauseam throughout the episode.

• Like 2

Since they didn't mention it in the show, the movie director Rod Amateau lost all his hair making was the original Mighty Joe Young.

• Like 1

Slight minor correction not of Paul but for his Wikipedia based information. In Japan the cards were called ぶきみくん Bukimi-kun which somebody translated as Mr. Creepy. In my opinion it's not really a good translation. Bukimi could translate as creepy or eerie, but it's the mister part that's really kind of inaccurate. In Japanese the suffix of -san after the name can be used for men and women regardless of age and is a pretty much one point translation to mister or miss. However, there are other post name suffixs that carry a more nuanced meaning that often doesn't translate in English. Kun is one of them. It's a term of affection or familiarity used mostly with young boys. We don't really do this in English. It would kinda be like calling a boy "Davie" instead of "David". Not really the same but close as we can get. The point is by calling them -kun you are denoting that they are children and not really applying the title or mister to them. Also important to note in Japanese there is no singular or plural, so the name refers to all of them not just one. Therefore in my opinion a better named would be "The Creepies" and not "Mr. Creepy."

Or... we go by the full title of the movie in Japan.

ダーティ・キッズ ぶきみくん Daati Kizzu Bukimi-Kun or Dirty Kids, The Creepies.

933037928.jpg

As a Big ol' Linguistics Nerd, I love this post. Also, my manager/dear friend might be moving to Japan so she and I have been having this EXACT SAME DISCUSSION about the use of suffixes in Japanese and how there really no analog in English. Nicely done.

• Like 3

I did the same thing as,Tom (clicked the Spoiler). I'm also only 1 1/2 episodes in and haven't been too impressed. I found the first episode to be terribly done. So far, the second is a bit of an improvement. I'm glad to hear it gets better!

ETA: Finn Jones is the worst! IF is problematic as it is, Jones doesn't help - at all!

I'm on episode 5 and enjoying it but I'm seriously lacking backstory because I only watched half of S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. But maybe that makes it more enjoyable since I'm not worried about whatever their personal stuff is? I do get a little bored at parts too, but whenever the Defenders are all together or their personal side characters hang out it seems to be more engaging.

Full disclosure, I find Finn Jones very attractive so his bland acting doesn't bother me as much. Also thank god Rosario Dawnson is the connective tissue for a lot of these worlds otherwise I would be very lost.

• Like 2

I'm on episode 5 and enjoying it but I'm seriously lacking backstory because I only watched half of S1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. But maybe that makes it more enjoyable since I'm not worried about whatever their personal stuff is? I do get a little bored at parts too, but whenever the Defenders are all together or their personal side characters hang out it seems to be more engaging.

Those are the best parts. There should've been a whole episode about all the side characters interactions at the police station.

The backstory I gave to my sister, who hadn't seen Iron Fist or Daredevil was "basically they want to to believe NYC is lousy with ninjas but I've never seen one and I lived here for 11 years. Also Danny Rand is the worst."

It was stupid to decide to come up with ways that each character becomes involved with the fight. Why not just have the earthquake or some large event and everyone comes running? It makes the first episode (and everything up until the end of 3, I think) very choppy and slow. I mean, obviously I liked the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones parts best because I love those two characters but every time it cut back to Iron Fist I was like "damnit."

If you don't like Iron Fist, like me,

Jump to episode two when Cage and Rand fight. And then to the beginning of episode six when they find out Alexandra needs the Iron Fist alive and Danny acts like an asshole so the other three (who are the real defenders in my mind) team up and fight him.

Then Stick tries to kill him too, which is the only time I really root for Stick because he annoys me.

It's basically confirmed that he's the worst Iron Fist ever and he doesn't know what he's doing, which I appreciated. But at the end they act like he's learned a lesson (?) and is going to protect the city like Daredevil did. And I question his ability to do that. Like sure you WANT to protect New York but you also were supposed to protect Kun Lun and everybody died so...

Lucky for those of us who actually live in NYC, we will get season 3 of Daredevil before season 2 of Iron Fist so we won't have to rely on him. ;)

• Like 3

The backstory I gave to my sister, who hadn't seen Iron Fist or Daredevil was "basically they want to to believe NYC is lousy with ninjas but I've never seen one and I lived here for 11 years. Also Danny Rand is the worst."

They're all working at Ninja restaurant.

Also, Frank Bruni's restaurant review is one of the funniest things I've read from the food section of the nytimes.

• Like 3