🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Quasar Sniffer

I appeared on a podcast about movies so I thought this board might also like to listen....

Hello fellow HDTGM compatriots! Recently I had the honor of being a guest of one of my favorite podcasts, Hellbent for Horror. If you listen to the Wrong Reel podcast, you might have heard the host, S.A. Bradley, as a guest himself on that show. What I love about Hellbent is that Bradley really digs horror and what makes it special. Along with some very personal connections he has to the genre, he gets into the psychological, social, and cultural aspects of horror. There are times when he gets intimate and profound, times when he can get into the business/budget part of horror, and then there are times when he will do interviews from film festivals. It's pretty fantastic.

Anyway, he invited me (John Arminio) and two other guests to appear on Hellbent for Horror's 50th episode, in which we talk about what makes a horror film a "classic," if a classic can still have an impact on audiences the way it did when it was first released, and what might be considered a "new classic." The new classics I chose to discuss were The Witch and Crimson Peak (ohhhhh, Guillermo :wub: ). I'd just really appreciate it if you Internet Denizens would give it a listen, since you are some of the smartest and most discerning (and polite!) movie-lovers on the interwebs. Thanks.

https://hellbentforhorror.com/2017/08/14/episode-050-diamonds-and-rust-and-modern-horror/

giphy.gif

• Like 8

Hello fellow HDTGM compatriots! Recently I had the honor of being a guest of one of my favorite podcasts, Hellbent for Horror. If you listen to the Wrong Reel podcast, you might have heard the host, S.A. Bradley, as a guest himself on that show. What I love about Hellbent is that Bradley really digs horror and what makes it special. Along with some very personal connections he has to the genre, he gets into the psychological, social, and cultural aspects of horror. There are times when he gets intimate and profound, times when he can get into the business/budget part of horror, and then there are times when he will do interviews from film festivals. It's pretty fantastic.

Anyway, he invited me (John Arminio) and two other guests to appear on Hellbent for Horror's 50th episode, in which we talk about what makes a horror film a "classic," if a classic can still have an impact on audiences the way it did when it was first released, and what might be considered a "new classic." The new classics I chose to discuss were The Witch and Crimson Peak (ohhhhh, Guillermo :wub:/> ). I'd just really appreciate it if you Internet Denizens would give it a listen, since you are some of the smartest and most discerning (and polite!) movie-lovers on the interwebs. Thanks.

https://hellbentforhorror.com/2017/08/14/episode-050-diamonds-and-rust-and-modern-horror/

giphy.gif

I'm looking for to it!

• Like 2

Everyone really should listen if only to hear Quasar's dulcet tones!

• Like 2

I listened to yesterday too.

it was an enjoyable listen! I enjoy horror movies so it was cool to hear a discussion on modern horror and classic horror movies (and how some do or do not still hold up today).

I'm on the same page as most of you on The Shining. I think it's a good movie, and still holds up and is re-watchable. But unsure if it really deserves to be considered one of the best horrors of all time, as many seem to think.

I am a weirdo who did also enjoy the Garris mini-series of The Shining.. It may be a bit cheesy, but I did like that it followed the book more closely. Especially since in the book/ mini-series the character Jack didn't start out as a madman right away.

I feel like with Kubrick's Shining.. Nicholson was crazy from the start and just got a little crazier being in the hotel.

In the book and mini-series I like that you slowly see Jack going into madness. It's more scary seeing a more sympathetic person turn like that... vs seeing someone who already wasn't far off from doing something terrible to his wife and son.

My sister told me to watch The Witch, since she really loved that one. I tried watching, but I don't think I was in the right mood for so I stopped only after watching the first 15 minutes. I keep hearing good things about it so I'll give it another try soon.

I also haven't seen Crimson Peak. But have seen that it's on HBO Go right now, so I'll check that one out soon as well. I did want to see it in theaters but I never got the chance to.

Anyway.. it was a fun listen. And I now have a little list of movies I want to check out :)

• Like 1

I also concur about The Shining. It's a fine movie, but not the best thing ever. I read the book before seeing movie and I was disappointed that it wasn't closer to the source material.

• Like 2

I also concur about The Shining. It's a fine movie, but not the best thing ever. I read the book before seeing movie and I was disappointed that it wasn't closer to the source material.

Man, I hated the book. I preferred the movie's dark pessimism.

• Like 3

Man, I hated the book. I preferred the movie's dark pessimism.

I did really like the book. I read a lot of King's books growing up and remember The Shining and IT freaked me out the most.

Know reading The Shining creeped me out way more than the movie did, so I always thought it could have impacted me more if it was closer to the book?

Reading horror freaks me out more than horror movies generally do. I like watching horror but it takes a lot more for them to make an impact / keep me creeped out long after the movie is over.

• Like 2

Thanks for listening and for your input everybody. I really appreciate it! I know this was not exactly a short podcast, in fact, I think it might be the longest episode of Hellbent For Horror ever. But if you like this episode, or at least the perspective on horror that it gives, I highly recommend this podcast. I might even describe it as a You Must Remember This for Horror, combining the historical, cultural, and personal into one narrative. Episode 49, for example, was a treatise on the history and cultural importance of Fangoria magazine. It was prrrrretty cool.

And as for The Shining, I think I enjoy the book and the movie with equal measure. I can definitely see why King might hate Kubrick's version, as Kubrick took something that was his, that was very close and precious to him, and took ownership of it. Also, Kubrick was pretty damn cruel to Shelly Duvall, by all accounts, on set. Why do that? I mean, I know "Why" he did it, but why be that person? If I just compare him to the way Guillermo del Toro treats his cast and crew on set, del Toro comes across like a big cuddly Mexican Movie angel by comparison. And you heard by Guillermo Feelings on the podcast.

• Like 3

Reading horror freaks me out more than horror movies generally do. I like watching horror but it takes a lot more for them to make an impact / keep me creeped out long after the movie is over.

Which I want to point out that I agree what y'all said about It Follows on the podcast. I watched recently and man... that one got to me. I was freaked out for a while afterwards. Thinking I had something following me. And maybe still occasionally pops in my mind every now and then if I'm alone at night..

• Like 2

So was Stephen King.

• Like 2

Anyway, he invited me (John Arminio) and two other guests to appear on Hellbent for Horror's 50th episode, in which we talk about what makes a horror film a "classic," if a classic can still have an impact on audiences the way it did when it was first released, and what might be considered a "new classic." The new classics I chose to discuss were The Witch and Crimson Peak (ohhhhh, Guillermo :wub: ). I'd just really appreciate it if you Internet Denizens would give it a listen, since you are some of the smartest and most discerning (and polite!) movie-lovers on the interwebs. Thanks.

https://hellbentforh...-modern-horror/

giphy.gif

Thanks for posting this. I'm always on the hunt for more podcasts. Movie podcasts? Great! Horror movie podcasts? More than great! I've got a 30-minute commute each way to work, so I'm going to load up on these tonight!

• Like 2

This was a really interesting listen. Everyone brought up stuff that offered some interesting perspectives on nearly all the movies I hadn't thought of. It's also going to get me to check out Martyrs.

I happen to still really like The Shining and attribute any personal loss of enjoyment to the diminishing returns of rewatching most things. Plus, few movies were as legitimately terrifying to me as the first time I watched it.

I also think Halloween still holds up quite well. As stated in the podcast, everything had ripped it off which might make it seem boring or old. But I think very very few movies that stole from Halloween did anything as good as Halloween even today. It still feels creepy even after all the times I've seen it.

• Like 3

1. I listened to the first episode of the podcast on the drive in today. I'm a fan. I think it'll be a good source for finding horror material that I hadn't encountered before.

2. My standby has always been Halloween. When I was a kid in the early/mid-80's, my brother and I would come home and sort our trick or treat hauls. On Halloween night, either Halloween 1 or 2 would normally be on television, albeit in the cable-friendly version. That would be on in the background when we were looking through our bags, and it always creeped me out. (EDIT: Thanks, mom and dad) I still love watching it. I liked Friday the 13th, but wasn't in love. Nightmare on Elm Street was decent, but it was never too scary to me. Halloween? That's the tops for me.

• Like 5

1. I listened to the first episode of the podcast on the drive in today. I'm a fan. I think it'll be a good source for finding horror material that I hadn't encountered before.

2. My standby has always been Halloween. When I was a kid in the early/mid-80's, my brother and I would come home and sort our trick or treat hauls. On Halloween night, either Halloween 1 or 2 would normally be on television, albeit in the cable-friendly version. That would be on in the background when we were looking through our bags, and it always creeped me out. (EDIT: Thanks, mom and dad) I still love watching it. I liked Friday the 13th, but wasn't in love. Nightmare on Elm Street was decent, but it was never too scary to me. Halloween? That's the tops for me.

1. Awesome! I am glad to intorduce you to the podcast! I hope it opens as many Horror Doors for you as it did for me.

2. I agree with you on Halloween. Although, like I said on the podcast, it's never going to be my favorite Carpenter movie, I think it will always be THE Slasher movie (even if it wasn't the first). I'd certainly rather watch it than the first Friday the 13th film. Nightmare on Elm Street I like... about equally, but I think that's a very different movie altogether, so I'd be hesitant to rank those two against each other. All three franchises, I think, with their cultural saturation and devolution into self-parody, have damaged the actual scare-factor of their originals.

• Like 3

1. Awesome! I am glad to intorduce you to the podcast! I hope it opens as many Horror Doors for you as it did for me.

2. I agree with you on Halloween. Although, like I said on the podcast, it's never going to be my favorite Carpenter movie, I think it will always be THE Slasher movie (even if it wasn't the first). I'd certainly rather watch it than the first Friday the 13th film. Nightmare on Elm Street I like... about equally, but I think that's a very different movie altogether, so I'd be hesitant to rank those two against each other. All three franchises, I think, with their cultural saturation and devolution into self-parody, have damaged the actual scare-factor of their originals.

Well, I have a long way to go until I get to your episode! I like to start at the beginning and go sequentially in most podcasts. With an hour in the car each day, it shouldn't take me long to catch up!

I only included the Nightmare series because of the time it came out. These three franchises were staples for my friends and I at just about every sleepover. Definitely a different animal than Halloween and Friday the 13th. I think I fall more on the slasher/suspense side of horror films than the Nightmare style.

Carpenter is an underappreciated genius. His music is great, and he's made some great films, though I've admittedly only seen about half of them. Tough to pick a favorite! They Live or Big Trouble in Little China are awesome.

• Like 2

Quasar, how did you get involved with this podcast? How much longer until you appear on a HDTGM episode? ;)

• Like 6

Quasar, how did you get involved with this podcast? How much longer until you appear on a HDTGM episode? ;)/>/>

I discovered the podcast when the host, S.A Bradley, guested on the Wrong Reel podcast to talk about Val Lewton and Tod Browning. I like Wrong Reel a lot, but it puts out like six hours of content a week so there's no way I can keep up with all of it. However, a discussion of those two film icons was one I could not pass up.

I found Bradley's contributions insightful and his perspective fascinating. Like ironicmerman, I went back to the beginning and listened to every episode. From there, I started an email and Twitter correspondence with Bradley and, after a while, he graciously asked me to be a guest on his show. So I owe it all to the wonders of social media, my nerdiness, and Bradley's patience for my opinions!

As for appearing on HDTGM, I won't lie, that would be a god damn dream, haha. I guess all I have to do is appear in some movies and TV shows, start my own improv collective in LA, and I will be almost there!

• Like 5

I'm about 10 or so episodes deep into this podcast. I'm hooked. This morning, I heard Bradley saying "yeah...yeah, yeah" during an interview. My first thought: this guy is like Marc Maron. Not sure why, but he really reminds me of Maron with his approach and interest level. Maybe with a little Matt Gourley sprinkled in.

• Like 1

That's a really interesting combination of podcasters, almost the yin and yang of each other. Bradley does have sort of a "seen everything" vibe, and that gives him some very strong opinions, which is where the Marc Maron comparison might come in. But then he does have an unabashed joy in and passion for all things horror, as well as film, which he does have in common with Gourley. Maron comes off not... particularly well-informed sometimes and a bit too reactionary for me, which I don't get from Bradley though.

• Like 1

That's a really interesting combination of podcasters, almost the yin and yang of each other. Bradley does have sort of a "seen everything" vibe, and that gives him some very strong opinions, which is where the Marc Maron comparison might come in. But then he does have an unabashed joy in and passion for all things horror, as well as film, which he does have in common with Gourley. Maron comes off not... particularly well-informed sometimes and a bit too reactionary for me, which I don't get from Bradley though.

I said Maron because, even though he does have the "seen everything" vibe, he still seems to show a lot of interest and wants to find out what makes people tick. Why they do what they do, why they like what they like. He gets the biography as part of the bigger picture. And you nailed it on Gourley. If you want to get into an ingredients breakdown, maybe I'd call it 2 parts Gourley, 1 part Maron?

Anyways, thanks again on mentioning this podcast! I'm eating it up. The only thing I need to do a better job of is keeping track of the films Bradley mentions. Does he have any resources that list films people should definitely see? Because I listen in my car, it's not easy to write these things down.

• Like 1

I am super-psyched you are enjoying it! It is always a joy to share stuff I am loving with other, enthusiastic individuals. As far as keeping track of movies mentioned, in later episodes, Bradley does start listing all the movies he talks about, though I am not sure which episode he actually begins that practice. For an example, here are his show notes for episodes 42 and 44, which are concerned with the same topic:

https://hellbentforhorror.com/2017/06/27/here-is-the-compete-movie-list-for-episodes-042-and-044/

• Like 1