Musical Mondays Off-Week 18 (Taylorannephoto's 2nd pick)

51 replies to this topic

#21 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 August 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

Alright y'all! I've been on a certain kick for a certain actress that I have loved since I was a kid so I would LOVE to discuss the incomparable...
Spoiler

I've loved Jane Russell for a long time myself.
Posted Image
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#22 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

I sense a pattern. Anita Loos did the stage production of Gigi and wrote the book of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."

#23 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 21 August 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

Epic pick, Taylor, and thanks for giving us an excuse to watch this! I've never seen any Marilyn either except for 'The Prince and the Showgirl', which prompted me to immediately shift my impression from Marilyn as a ditzy hack known only for her curves, to 'holy cow this woman is a straight up comic genius'.

I can't wait to get in to all the nuances of Marilyn!!!
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#24 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

And if we're REALLY gonna get into Marylin Monroe and if you wanna get SUPER DEPRESSED before you watch this movie, You Must Remember This, the definitive podcast on everything depressing about Hollywood, has you covered:

http://www.youmustre...ondes-flashback

http://www.youmustre...ondes-episode-7

http://www.youmustre...ondes-episode-8

Get those tears prepped!
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#25 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

I've brought up to Jackie Kashian that I could go on her podcast to dork out about Marilyn Monroe. I can genuinely dork out on everything Marilyn Monroe.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#26 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

Great pick! Looking foward to it.

Have not seen G.P.B. but "Some Like It Hot" (Also with Marilyn) is one of my Favourite movies of all time (And also I think is one of, if not, the best/funniest comedy movies of ALL TIME.) I have also seen "The Seven Year Itch" and it was also funny, but for me it didn't reach the perfection that is "Some Like It Hot"

#27 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostGood times2the Max!miliano, on 21 August 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

Great pick! Looking foward to it.

Have not seen G.P.B. but "Some Like It Hot" (Also with Marilyn) is one of my Favourite movies of all time (And also I think is one of, if not, the best/funniest comedy movies of ALL TIME.) I have also seen "The Seven Year Itch" and it was also funny, but for me it didn't reach the perfection that is "Some Like It Hot"

I just saw Some Like It Hot for the first time in June and it was hysterical! I haven't watched it since but GBP has lots of rewatchability for me.

#28 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 22 August 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

I just saw Some Like It Hot for the first time in June and it was hysterical! I haven't watched it since but GBP has lots of rewatchability for me.

I personally find it hard to rewatch Some Like It Hot... but that may be because of how I know the real life Marilyn story during that filming and how rude Tony Curtis was afterwards (he said kissing Marilyn was like kissing Hitler and that's just uncalled for dude).

#29 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 22 August 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

I personally find it hard to rewatch Some Like It Hot... but that may be because of how I know the real life Marilyn story during that filming and how rude Tony Curtis was afterwards (he said kissing Marilyn was like kissing Hitler and that's just uncalled for dude).

I was about to say, Tony Curtis was SO MEAN in all his interviews about Marilyn and the movie.

#30 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

View PostSaraK, on 21 August 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

I hope I can actually watch this one! Life has been hectic recently and I felt like I missed the boat on the last one. By the time I had time to watch it, it was this Saturday.

Yeah, I was in the same missed boat. I still have Gigi on my list, but I didn't get a chance to watch it last week.

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 August 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

Alright y'all! I've been on a certain kick for a certain actress that I have loved since I was a kid so I would LOVE to discuss the incomparable...

You were a big Jane Russell fan as a kid?
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#31 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 22 August 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

You were a big Jane Russell fan as a kid?

Le duh

#32 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

I've had a busy couple of weeks as well, including an unexpected funeral last Friday.

On that note, I LOVE Marilyn. I've been lightly kicking around an idea for a about a year of taking the generic elements of her film noir roles into one sort of tribute script. I'm so looking forward to to watching GPB

#33 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostEvRobert, on 22 August 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

I've had a busy couple of weeks as well, including an unexpected funeral last Friday.

I'm sorry to hear that. You have my condolences.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#34 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

Good to see you again, EvRobert, but sorry to hear about your loss.

#35 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:20 AM

I just watched "Some Like It Hot" for the first time earlier this year. While I thought it stood up I did not care for Tony Curtis. Jack Lemon is so charming and likable that the fact he's kinda being bullied by the "cooler" Tony Curtis I find a bit off putting. Then I go on to read about Tony Curtis some more and thought "This guy seems like a real piece of work."
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#36 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 23 August 2017 - 02:20 AM, said:

I just watched "Some Like It Hot" for the first time earlier this year. While I thought it stood up I did not care for Tony Curtis. Jack Lemon is so charming and likable that the fact he's kinda being bullied by the "cooler" Tony Curtis I find a bit off putting. Then I go on to read about Tony Curtis some more and thought "This guy seems like a real piece of work."

Omg I completely agree! Jack Lemmon is totally the highlight of those two!

#37 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

We talked about what everyone's favorite musicals have been recently, and I'm wondering what song everyone has listened to the most from the musicals we've watched. Is there one song that just keeps going around and around in your head?

For me, it's been "The Tango Maureen" from Rent (followed pretty closely by "I'll Cover You").

#38 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 23 August 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

We talked about what everyone's favorite musicals have been recently, and I'm wondering what song everyone has listened to the most from the musicals we've watched. Is there one song that just keeps going around and around in your head?

For me, it's been "The Tango Maureen" from Rent (followed pretty closely by "I'll Cover You").

While I enjoyed other movies we've covered more than HSM...a lot of them don't necessarily have the catchiest songs (or even memorable songs).
So to answer... I'd say "Get your head in the game" and "Bet on it" have been stuck in my head the most, lol.

Before HSM though, I think the other movie that had more songs stuck in my head was JCS. "Everything's alright" "Heaven on their Minds"...and any of the ones with Judas singing.

#39 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

View Postkateacola, on 23 August 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

While I enjoyed other movies we've covered more than HSM.

Well, that's just crazy talk...

#40 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

View Postkateacola, on 23 August 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

While I enjoyed other movies we've covered more than HSM...a lot of them don't necessarily have the catchiest songs (or even memorable songs).
So to answer... I'd say "Get your head in the game" and "Bet on it" have been stuck in my head the most, lol.

Before HSM though, I think the other movie that had more songs stuck in my head was JCS. "Everything's alright" "Heaven on their Minds"...and any of the ones with Judas singing.

I said to my wife the other day, in all absolute seriousness,

"I can't predict the future, and I don't know what's ahead, but I know one thing with absolute certainty: that at least once a day for the rest of my natural life, I will get at least one 'High School Musical' song stuck in my head."
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man