Origin Stories Bonus: Mackenzie Astin

10 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,036 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

Actor Mackenzie Astin, who stars as Dodger in The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, chats with Slashfilm's Blake Harris about sibling rivalry (with brother Sean Astin), becoming a child actor and how a counterculture phenomenon turned into such a horrible, horrible movie. Listen to more episodes of How Did This Get Made: Origin Stories on Stitcher Premium!
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

This was utterly delightful! His giggles made me giggle along almost every time lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#3 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

Paul, Jason and June did some healing. :(

ETA: Wanted to say, I used the sadface emoji because this made me tear up a bit. Love to Mackenzie and his father and brother and wife who all sound cool. Glad we don't have to add them to our enemies list like the Chopping Mall guy.

#4 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

I wrote this review of GPK on letterboxd last week. Having listened to the bonus episode, I feel like I correctly predicted what life was like at home for the Astins.
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#5 LTL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

This was excellent ...Mac seems very charming.

#6 muttnik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

This was great, he laughs a lot like his dad.

#7 joshg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:17 AM

Great interview. I wonder if he ever said to his dad, well at least I wasn't in Teenwolf Too!

#8 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

This interview even has a surprising heartwarming moment when Mackenzie talks about how his brother Sean paid for his rehab. From one oldest brother to another, thank you for that wonderful bit of familial heroism, Sean!
"Lot of duck butter here at the lake today, eh Pack?"
"Quiff city, here I come!"
- The Wraith

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#9 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

This was a good interview. Astin was candid, forthcoming, and seemed genuinely grateful that someone took the time to hear him out. On the second hand, I'm not sure that Blake was ready for a Maron-esque confessional interview. Still, he held his own pretty well.

#10 ironicmerman

Sentient hot dogs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

He seems like a good dude, and I was shocked that his dad is still alive. I thought he had passed years ago. This line talking about HDTGM is amazing.

"So the fact that there exists now, in this day and age, an opportunity for people to have that communal experience looking at, like, the worst possible fires ever [cracking up] with smart and funny commentary…that’s a good experience, you know?"
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#11 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

I was shocked that his dad is still alive. I thought he had passed years ago.

Still alive. 87 years young. Not allowed to die. I believe he still teaches at Johns Hopkins. http://krieger.jhu.e...ory/john-astin/

Patty Duke has passed though.