🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Origin Stories Bonus: Mackenzie Astin

Actor Mackenzie Astin, who stars as Dodger in The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, chats with Slashfilm's Blake Harris about sibling rivalry (with brother Sean Astin), becoming a child actor and how a counterculture phenomenon turned into such a horrible, horrible movie. Listen to more episodes of How Did This Get Made: Origin Stories on Stitcher Premium!

Paul, Jason and June did some healing. :(

ETA: Wanted to say, I used the sadface emoji because this made me tear up a bit. Love to Mackenzie and his father and brother and wife who all sound cool. Glad we don't have to add them to our enemies list like the Chopping Mall guy.

• Like 6

This was excellent ...Mac seems very charming.

Great interview. I wonder if he ever said to his dad, well at least I wasn't in Teenwolf Too!

This interview even has a surprising heartwarming moment when Mackenzie talks about how his brother Sean paid for his rehab. From one oldest brother to another, thank you for that wonderful bit of familial heroism, Sean!

• Like 4

This was a good interview. Astin was candid, forthcoming, and seemed genuinely grateful that someone took the time to hear him out. On the second hand, I'm not sure that Blake was ready for a Maron-esque confessional interview. Still, he held his own pretty well.

• Like 1

He seems like a good dude, and I was shocked that his dad is still alive. I thought he had passed years ago. This line talking about HDTGM is amazing.

"So the fact that there exists now, in this day and age, an opportunity for people to have that communal experience looking at, like, the worst possible fires ever [cracking up] with smart and funny commentary…that’s a good experience, you know?"

• Like 5