Jump to content


Episode 169.5 - Minisode 169.5


119 replies to this topic

#101 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostCameron H., on 30 August 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

Even if they were the same age, it's still gross-o to watch little kids flirt. The weirdness was not just in your head.

Even if they were 18+ it would have been gross to watch because that dude was way over the top.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#102 Herself

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

Nine minutes in before giving up.

#103 muttnik

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

That clown sequence was really something else. I have a real problem with the goth kids. Not only do they accept the invitations to the MTV My Super Sweet Sixteen party but they attend, and not just to stand in the corner smoking and judging/laughing. I didn't know wearing dinosaur hats was a thing in any high school universe. It was a weird joke. I laughed at it, but still. Where were the Magic the Gathering LARPer kids?

Tidbit: Cameron and Dylan, the two male love interests, were also dolls. Chet Haze's nerd character was not, which is maybe why they abandoned his and Jade's thing.

#104 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

I just realized this is yet another high school related HDTGM movie that came out the same year I was the age highlighted...

This and LOL... Shit...
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#105 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

View Postmuttnik, on 30 August 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

That clown sequence was really something else. I have a real problem with the goth kids. Not only do they accept the invitations to the MTV My Super Sweet Sixteen party but they attend, and not just to stand in the corner smoking and judging/laughing. I didn't know wearing dinosaur hats was a thing in any high school universe. It was a weird joke. I laughed at it, but still. Where were the Magic the Gathering LARPer kids?

Tidbit: Cameron and Dylan, the two male love interests, were also dolls. Chet Haze's nerd character was not, which is maybe why they abandoned his and Jade's thing.


You are blowing my mind right now. I didn't realize Dexter was played by Chet Haze!

#106 The_Triple_Lindy

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Amidst all the awful racial stereotypes in this movie, we also mustn't forget that not all deaf people are Beethoven.

#107 The_Triple_Lindy

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

I've bailed on the last 30 minutes of this movie twice now ... why the hell is this movie so long?!? And does it even matter how it ends?

Also, I'm a Cloe. I'm cool with that, since she most directly seems to piss off the Dimly girl.

#108 grudlian.

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 August 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

You are blowing my mind right now. I didn't realize Dexter was played by Chet Haze!

What's blowing my mind is people know the side character names. I wouldn't habe been surprised if Chet Hanks was credited as "tall nerd"

#109 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 31 August 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:


What's blowing my mind is people know the side character names. I wouldn't habe been surprised if Chet Hanks was credited as "tall nerd"


Obviously, you and I weren't paying THAT close attention ;)
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#110 tomspanks

    jaded meowndarin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 31 August 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

What's blowing my mind is people know the side character names. I wouldn't habe been surprised if Chet Hanks was credited as "tall nerd"


His name stuck with me. He was a nerd, so of course they named him Dexter.

#111 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

i think this is the most shat upon movie (pre-episode) ever. and deservedly so. i'm still angry about it. who ever picked it needs to sit on the naughty step for a while.

also ...

Posted Image

it's on tubi tv: http://tubitv.com/vi...the_jazz_singer

#112 muttnik

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 31 August 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

You are blowing my mind right now. I didn't realize Dexter was played by Chet Haze!


I thought he was cute so I checked IMDB to see who he was and... then got really bummed out for the rest of the movie.
I also had some of these dolls... so this was a real embarrassment party all the way around.

#113 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

View Postmuttnik, on 31 August 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

I also had some of these dolls... so this was a real embarrassment party all the way around.

Yeeaaahhhh when they came out in 2001 my friend got me Jade (who I literally forgot was Jade until I looked up the actual dolls again) and my mom got me Yasmin for my birthday...

I bet somewhere in my mom's garage are those dolls amidst a bunch of Barbies lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#114 Elektra Boogaloo

    Mistress of All Agonies

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 29 August 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:


Here you go!

I got Yasmin. I don't know what that means but if any man called me any of the nicknames on this quiz, I'd punch them.

Why is Jon Voight in "Bratz"???

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 31 August 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

i think this is the most shat upon movie (pre-episode) ever. and deservedly so. i'm still angry about it. who ever picked it needs to sit on the naughty step for a while.

also ...

Posted Image

it's on tubi tv: http://tubitv.com/vi...the_jazz_singer

Oh no, that''s the show I'm going to. Now I have to watch it. Shit. I was hoping for Ladyhawke!

#115 SaraK

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

Does MTV still do the Sweet 16 show? Just curious

#116 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostSaraK, on 31 August 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

Does MTV still do the Sweet 16 show? Just curious

Honestly I can't tell... According to IMDB they had it's last season 2011 but they say it's still currently airing?

Oh wait Wikipedia says the original series aired from 2005-2008 with periodic specials after that. Then it just got a revival this past May.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#117 muttnik

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 31 August 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Yeeaaahhhh when they came out in 2001 my friend got me Jade (who I literally forgot was Jade until I looked up the actual dolls again) and my mom got me Yasmin for my birthday...

I bet somewhere in my mom's garage are those dolls amidst a bunch of Barbies lol.

I believe back in 2003 I had each of the girls and guys in their original outfits; none of that extra outfit cash grab nonsense for this (at the time) high school junior. :mellow:

For a second I was really confused why they would do The Jazz Singer until I rewatched it last night. Yikes. I must have blocked that first awful, awful scene from memory. Also, guys, prepare yourselves for the raw sexuality of Neil Diamond.

#118 grudlian.

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:32 AM

View Postmuttnik, on 31 August 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

For a second I was really confused why they would do The Jazz Singer until I rewatched it last night. Yikes. I must have blocked that first awful, awful scene from memory. Also, guys, prepare yourselves for the raw sexuality of Neil Diamond.

I was confused too. I've never seen it but I always thought it had a decent critical reception. Maybe I was confusing it with the Al Jolsen movie.

#119 muttnik

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 01 September 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

I was confused too. I've never seen it but I always thought it had a decent critical reception. Maybe I was confusing it with the Al Jolsen movie.

When I told my mother, she swore it was a good movie as well. So, aside from the first club scene which I wish didn't exist, it's a weird-good movie, depending on your love for Neil. Like if you dislike Neil Diamond this is not the movie for you. And it is strange someone thought the world needed a Neil Diamond vehicle. There are some odd choices made, and Neil does just fine acting, but at times he has a very stilted stage presence that I never noticed before. I still like it as a whole though. It reminds me a lot of my grandfather's friends and my mother's stories of growing up in Skokie, IL.
I wonder if this means eventually we're going to get into Streisand.

#120 Elektra Boogaloo

    Mistress of All Agonies

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 31 August 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

i think this is the most shat upon movie (pre-episode) ever. and deservedly so. i'm still angry about it. who ever picked it needs to sit on the naughty step for a while.

also ...

Posted Image

it's on tubi tv: http://tubitv.com/vi...the_jazz_singer

My nerd notes for this are just "what is happening?!?" and "why is this so boring?"