Episode 169.5 - Minisode 169.5

119 replies to this topic

#41 ilovebacon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

I watched Bratz on HBO on Demand, and HELLO racial stereotypes! Wow, does it stink.

The only saving grace was the mean girl's little sister... Tell me if she doesn't remind you of a mini Lauren Lapkus!

#42 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 26 August 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Thanks! I think Jammer and Sammich might be the only ones in the real problem areas, but even then, I don't think SA got hit too hard. I think their biggest concern is going to be river flooding (which is ours as well).

I read earlier that East Texas is looking at the possibility of colliding weather fronts causing a bunch of tornadoes, but that's also kind of par for the East Texas course. I lived in Tyler as a kid, and it's tornado city out there.

Austin has been mostly spared so far. We only have 38 low water crossings that have been closed so far (which is next to nothing for us). It's a bit windy, but the rain hasn't been nearly as bad as people were predicting. And the best news is that I found out yesterday that my family that lives in Corpus Christi evacuated to D/FW earlier in the week (they're mostly retired, so they just went and stayed with family up there), and the ones that live in Houston decided to stick it out as they usually do, but they checked in this morning and are all fine.

It's good to hear that Austin is all good! I really hope that Jammer and Sammich are okay!

We're on flood watch this week but thankfully we've only gotten slight rain this weekend but it's still insane the reach of this thing. Literally it's the size of Texas.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#43 BPatrickT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

I would like to hear an episode on The Pirate Movie. Paul also said Valerian would be a future HDTGM movie. I wonder how far off those would be if they really make them?

#44 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 August 2017 - 04:20 AM, said:

For me, the beauty of this show (and these movies) is they provide an escape from - not only the humdrum - but the terrible crap that's happening in the world. This is our oasis from all of that bullshit.* I guess what I'm saying is: I feel like - as rational, intelligent people with good hearts - we need to vent about the Bratz movie or Ninja Terminator or whatever just so we can face the insanity of the world around us lest it pulls us screaming into the abyss.

* As I wrote that I was like, "THAT'S why I didn't like Chopping Mall or Hard Ticket to Hawaii!" Ninja Terminator was still dumb as shit, though :)

In that spirit, let me just say that I am proposing a Jacob's Ladder Scenario for me watching Bratz, because there is no god damn way any movie can be this fucking infuriating without being conjured by my dying subconscious for the express purpose of driving me mad. Maybe I am in Hell? Maybe this is actually a Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey scenario and this is my own personal damnation?

All that ruined spaghetti...
Posted Image
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#45 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 27 August 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

In that spirit, let me just say that I am proposing a Jacob's Ladder Scenario for me watching Bratz, because there is no god damn way any movie can be this fucking infuriating without being conjured by my dying subconscious for the express purpose of driving me mad. Maybe I am in Hell? Maybe this is actually a Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey scenario and this is my own personal damnation?

All that ruined spaghetti...
Posted Image

Now, is it possible this is a "we're not the intended audience" scenario? Because I liked both the Odd Life of Timothy Green, All About Steve, and I'm pretty sure I'll like Spice World when I get around to watching it.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#46 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I know we're not, but there is something especially repugnant about Bratz, a special series of images and sounds that brings out my Inner Old Grump. It's like if High School Musical was made by the alt-right.
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#47 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 27 August 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

It's like if High School Musical was made by the alt-right.

Oh, fuck! That quote needs to be on the poster.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#48 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

Should I be worried about watching Bratz? I expected to dislike it but not alt-right musical hatred levels.

#49 iamSGA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Bratz is on HBO Now right now too.

This is so early 2000s lol. This soundtrack is on some A Simple Plan/Sum 41 level.

Also, blondie's mom was a nice surprise! Get the windex!
"Hey Sully, remember when I told you I'd kill you last? I LIED!"

-John Matrix, Commando

"Don't worry Scrote, there's lots of tards out there doing real kickass things. My first wife was 'tarded...she's a pilot now."

-Justin Long, Idiocracy

#50 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostCameron H., on 27 August 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Now, is it possible this is a "we're not the intended audience" scenario? Because I liked both the Odd Life of Timothy Green, All About Steve, and I'm pretty sure I'll like Spice World when I get around to watching it.

Posted Image
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#51 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

Spice World is legit entertaining. I can admit being moved by Odd Life Of Timothy Green.

All About Steve is...well, you might need to explain that to me.

#52 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

I am 4 minutes into Bratz and I have counted 7 racial stereotypes. Yikes.

#53 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 August 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

It's good to hear that Austin is all good! I really hope that Jammer and Sammich are okay!

We're on flood watch this week but thankfully we've only gotten slight rain this weekend but it's still insane the reach of this thing. Literally it's the size of Texas.

And there aren't any fronts pushing it out of Texas, so it's just kind of hovering until it dissipates.

And it's pissing me off that all of the news/weather reports are like, "ZOMG THIS IS THE MOST DEVASTATING THING EVARRR!!!!!" Like, can you just tell me how much more rain we're supposed to get without screaming in my face like I'm about to get blown away at any second? Kthnx. Hurricanes are scary enough without this exaggerated nonsense.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#54 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

Paul,

Posted Image

#55 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 27 August 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

And there aren't any fronts pushing it out of Texas, so it's just kind of hovering until it dissipates.

And it's pissing me off that all of the news/weather reports are like, "ZOMG THIS IS THE MOST DEVASTATING THING EVARRR!!!!!" Like, can you just tell me how much more rain we're supposed to get without screaming in my face like I'm about to get blown away at any second? Kthnx. Hurricanes are scary enough without this exaggerated nonsense.

Also it's so insulting to everyone who went through Sandy & Katrina when they say this is a "once in a lifetime" storm. (100,000 people who evacuated from New Orleans to Houston stayed so I can't even imagine what they're going through.)

#56 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

View PostiamSGA, on 27 August 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Bratz is on HBO Now right now too.

This is so early 2000s lol. This soundtrack is on some A Simple Plan/Sum 41 level.

Also, blondie's mom was a nice surprise! Get the windex!

That was Yasmin's grandmother - she calls her bubbie, which is a term usually used for a Jewish grandmother. I think Yasmin was supposed to be Hispanic/Jewish.

#57 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 27 August 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

Paul,

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't watched the movie yet but I was a reluctant fan of Pretty Little Liars and a huge fan of Mona/Janel Parrish on that show. Bummer this movie is going to ruin that for me.

#58 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

I just found out this movie is not streaming on any platform here, and not even available to rent. I don't think it ever came here because all the copies on Amazon are imported DVDs. Now to decide if this is worth $10 to own or not.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#59 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 28 August 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

I just found out this movie is not streaming on any platform here, and not even available to rent. I don't think it ever came here because all the copies on Amazon are imported DVDs. Now to decide if this is worth $10 to own or not.

Maybe we can set up a viewing for you or something.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#60 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

View PostCameron H., on 28 August 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Maybe we can set up a viewing for you or something.

Would be appreciated but based on what I'm hearing maybe I should just pass and enjoy the show.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)