🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 19 Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Is she a "gold digger," though? She's certainly mercenary, but if she was really a gold digger, I think it more likely that she would have been more serious about "Piggy." It seems to me, to her, "having money" is the same as someone saying I want someone with "a swimmer's body." If they have it, great, maybe I'll even hang out around a lot of pools, too, but it isn't like I'm going to turn down true love if they don't have one. And I'm also not going to jump from person to person just because they have a better body/more money.

I felt like it was less of a preference and more of a requirement - like if she found out Gus was lying and didn't have money, she'd drop him quickly. She liked Gus because he was the nicest millionaire she knew, but not necessarily the nicest person. And the Diamond song (which probably isn't written by Lorelei but seem to be about her) puts a lot of emphasis on having men buy you diamonds before getting too old.

As for Piggy, I feel like if Mrs. Piggy didn't show up, she may have been more torn. Dorothy didn't seem worried per se, but did try to head off the conflict before Lorelei heard about his wealth. But the wife showed up pretty soon after Lorelei heard 'diamonds'.

• Like 6

But I agree with SaraK.. I feel like having money was a requirement for Lorelei.

Did she possibly like (love) Gus for other reasons? Maybe.. I mean Gus was nice. I don't think she'd put up being with a super rich dude if he was a jerk.

I too thought when Piggy showed up that Lorelei would maybe pursue him and forget about Gus (if Piggy had more money than him). But then Piggy's wife showed up.

I don't think she was into him, but was still into his wealth. So she didn't entirely back off.

I think she only let him old-man flirt (and flirt back a little) to possibly try to get something out of it (diamonds, money, etc)? Which she almost pulled off.

But I didn't think she was going to pursue him any further than that or totally cross a line.

I half expected her to be marrying the dad at the end after he bought into her "I deserve nice things too" speech.

I thought this for a second too..

• Like 6

As for the Gus/Lorelei relationship, I think their romance is definitely one where real affection is present, but is also polluted by jealousy and distrust. A lot of that distrust probably comes from Gus' father who does not trust his own son to make his own decisions, interfering in his romantic relationships to the point of stopping his adult son's marriage. Hell, the entire presence of the Ernie Malone character is due to the mountains of mistrust these characters have for one another. I think if Lorelei and Gus had the opportunity to explore an actual, healthy, mutually beneficial relationship, it might last. Maybe not forever, but he'd be with one of the most beautiful women in the world and she'd have access to millions of dollars. Not a bad deal, as relationships go.

• Like 6

re: Lorelei/Gus I don't think it'll last. If Gus (or his father. Dad makes it clear in France that HE is the one paying the bills not Gus.) loses their money or if Gus is cut off or something, I don't know if Lorelei loves him enough to stick around in hard times. And vice versa. Would Gus put up with Lorelei if something happened to her and she didn't maintain her "Marilyn"ness. They could "LEARN" (or whatever. I'm not a fan of that term but I think ya'll know what I mean) to love each other, but I don't know if they do at this point in their relationship if they could survive it.

As for him trusting her or whatever, years ago I was heavily into evangelical Christianity and have many friends still involved in that. When my friends were dating their soon to be spouses, they would stop riding in a car with me (one girl one guy in a car OH NO! rme). My mother, who taught in a physical therapy program, ran a massage clinic for her students. My friends and I all went and the girls wouldn't let any of my mom's male students give them massages and vice versa. When the whole thing with Pence was revealed about how he won't be in a room with a female staffer or whatever it was. I wasn't at all surprised since I saw that first hand.

I do, though, like that Lorelei was true. Yeah she danced with Piggy and used her wiles to get that tiara, but she was true.

• Like 6

As for my thoughts on the movie in general, I was sold from the opening number. Even just the line "I was young and determined / To be wined and dined and ermined" impressed the hell out of me so much. If you saw my Reaction Face, you would have thought I was watch a "sick" "freestyle rap battle." You know, the type the youths enjoy! I just found myself taken along for this wonderful ride of wordplay combined with glittery costumes and these two Charisma-Made-Flash female leads!

I was also really intrigued by how compelling Lorelei's argument is by being unabashedly mercernary (to borrow Cameron H.'s term) in her pursuit for a man of means. If she's not worried about money, she is therefore more free of stress and has more emotional capacity to love her husband. If she has no money troubles, she will have room in her heart and mind for love, so the only way she can be a good partner is to marry a millionaire. For a cast and crew that lived through the Depression (and, speaking as a viewer, I worked a job I HAAAATED for longer than I should have for purely financial security reasons), it is a viewpoint not without merit.

• Like 8

I think she only let him old-man flirt (and flirt back a little) to possibly try to get something out of it (diamonds, money, etc)? Which she almost pulled off.

I think this is an interesting point. I never really got the vibe that she was really "flirting" in a traditional sense. Of course, she knew the power she had among men, and knew how to use it, but honestly most of what she did was just ask men questions and then tell them how interesting she thought it all sounded. And in all honesty, hearing about 1920s South Africa genuinely does sound interesting lol.

I also think this gets into a topic of Marilyn herself. It's not doubt that watching this movie and watching how Gus reacted to the attention Lorelei got I thought about Marilyn's relationship with Joe DiMaggio. He was insanely jealous of the attention she got from men and even wanted her to quit acting all together so that she could be his good little housewife. His jealousy and attempts to control her career clearly drove them to divorce only to rekindle a friendship just months before she died. It saddens me to think that if he had just appreciated who she was as a person then they may have lasted and she may have survived...

But I can also get into my conspiracy theory surrounding her death if y'all wanna go down that rabbit hole lol. But maybe that should be saved for Thursday ;)

• Like 6

I also think this gets into a topic of Marilyn herself. It's not doubt that watching this movie and watching how Gus reacted to the attention Lorelei got I thought about Marilyn's relationship with Joe DiMaggio. He was insanely jealous of the attention she got from men and even wanted her to quit acting all together so that she could be his good little housewife. His jealousy and attempts to control her career clearly drove them to divorce only to rekindle a friendship just months before she died. It saddens me to think that if he had just appreciated who she was as a person then they may have lasted and she may have survived...

But I can also get into my conspiracy theory surrounding her death if y'all wanna go down that rabbit hole lol. But maybe that should be saved for Thursday ;)

Being the Big Time Nerd for baseball that I am, especially its history (I love every minute of Ken Burns' six thousand hour documentary on the subject), from what I've gathered, Joe DiMaggio was just an all-around Big Time Asshole. For most of his post-retirement life, he INSISTED on being introduced at events as the "Greatest Living Yankee," even though Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Whitey Ford were all still alive. There's even this famous incident in which Billy Crystal talks about/wears as a badge of honor after he failed to give DiMaggio that parcticular honorific when introducing him:

"We were standing just outside of the Yankees clubhouse when the door opened and Joe DiMaggio came out. He stepped toward me and, without warning, punched me in the stomach. Hard. I wasn't ready for it. He put his face inches from mine. 'Greatest living player!' he hissed, and stormed off."
  • Like 7

Being the Big Time Nerd for baseball that I am, especially its history (I love every minute of Ken Burns' six thousand hour documentary on the subject), from what I've gathered, Joe DiMaggio was just an all-around Big Time Asshole. For most of his post-retirement life, he INSISTED on being introduced at events as the "Greatest Living Yankee," even though Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Whitey Ford were all still alive. There's even this famous incident in which Billy Crystal talks about/wears as a badge of honor after he failed to give DiMaggio that parcticular honorific when introducing him:

Jesus. My knowledge of him definitely stops at his marriage to Marilyn but yeah none of this surprises me now. He was there for the filming of that iconic scene in The Seven Year Itch and flipped a fuckin shit because men were standing around and eyeing her and I'm pretty sure that was when they decided to get a divorce. Like it's a fucking movie dude and the whole point of this one in particular is that this guy is trying not to give in to his urges to cheat on his wife with this beautiful woman.

• Like 6

I think this is an interesting point. I never really got the vibe that she was really "flirting" in a traditional sense. Of course, she knew the power she had among men, and knew how to use it, but honestly most of what she did was just ask men questions and then tell them how interesting she thought it all sounded. And in all honesty, hearing about 1920s South Africa genuinely does sound interesting lol.

I don't think she was totally flirting with him. I think maybe she was naively being too friendly?

But then I'm not sure since she seems to put on a facade of being a "blonde" cause she does know what to do to get what she wants.

If anything she did dance and spend time with him when his wife wasn't around. And didn't discourage him. I wasn't sure what was going on.

I didn't think she was going to cross a line with Piggy but felt like maybe her motive for hanging around Piggy still was so she could score some jewelry or something? lol.

I don't hate on her wanting to be with a rich guy. It's no different than Gus wanting to be with her for her looks (I'm sure). Or even Dorothy for liking tall / dark/ handsome men.

And forget Malone-Dorothy or Lorelei-Gus. I'm team Dorothy-Lorelei.. I liked their relationship the most. They may have been opposites and disagreed, but they really had each other's backs!

and I'm down for conspiracy theories. I definitely think there was some shady-ness to her death.

• Like 7

I don't think she was totally flirting with him. I think maybe she was naively being too friendly?

But then I'm not sure since she seems to put on a facade of being a "blonde" but she knows what she's doing.

If anything she did dance and spend time him when his wife wasn't around. And didn't discourage him. I wasn't sure what was going on.

I didn't think she was going to cross a line with Piggy but felt like maybe her motive of hanging around Piggy still was so she could score some jewelry or something? lol.

I think she was for sure just leading him on. I highly doubt she would have crossed any lines to blantently mess with Piggy's relationship. But some extra attention that might lead to jewelry for being pretty and oh so nice to him? For sure that's her MO.

• Like 5

But then I'm not sure since she seems to put on a facade of being a "blonde" cause she does know what to do to get what she wants.

If anything she did dance and spend time him when his wife wasn't around. And didn't discourage him. I wasn't sure what was going on.

I didn't think she was going to cross a line with Piggy but felt like maybe her motive of hanging around Piggy still was so she could score some jewelry or something? lol.

I don't hate on her wanting to be with a rich guy. It's no different than Gus' wanting to be with her for her looks (I'm sure). Or even Dorothy for liking tall / dark/ handsome men.

And forget Malone-Dorothy or Lorelei-Gus. I'm team Dorothy-Lorelei.. I liked their relationship the most. They may have been opposites and disagreed, but they really had each other's backs!

and I'm down for conspiracy theories. I definitely think there was some shady-ness to her death.

I completely agree! I think she totally knew she could get something out of a friendship with Piggy, but I think that a lot of men are clearly expecting something sexual for it, and she never once takes it there. She purely provides herself as a young beautiful woman that will listen to their dumb stories and then asks for something nice lol.

Also YES DOROTHY AND LORELEI'S RELATIONSHIP IS THE BEST! In this time I would want it to be remade where they actually end up being in love and run off together lmao.

• Like 6

I think she was for sure just leading him on. I highly doubt she would have crossed any lines to blantently mess with Piggy's relationship. But some extra attention that might lead to jewelry for being pretty and oh so nice to him? For sure that's her MO.

Yeah, I mean as soon as he was like "thanks for swiping that incriminating photo, how can I repay you?" right away she was like "well, I really like that tiara" haha

Plus-- this is how she sees him when she finds out he owns a diamond mine. I couldn't help but laugh at this part.

blondes7.png

• Like 7

Yeah, I mean as soon as he was like "thanks for swiping that incriminating photo, how can I repay you?" right away she was like "well, I really like that tiara" haha

Plus-- this is how she sees him when she finds out he owns a diamond mine. I couldn't help but laugh at this part.

blondes7.png

Let's be real here, that's an improvement. No offense to that actor, but his face was sweaty and red and not all that great to look at lol!

• Like 6

blondes7.png

I liked how this movie is mostly clever wordplay and comedy, and then the sound effect when Lorelei and Gus kiss or this diamond face happen. So random.

• Like 8

Also YES DOROTHY AND LORELEI'S RELATIONSHIP IS THE BEST! In this time I would want it to be remade where they actually end up being in love and run off together lmao.

I also agree that the Dorothy/Lorelei relationship is peerless and magnificent, but that is why I would NOT want them to run off together. I kind of think that real, lifelong BFFs are an extraordinarily rare thing, and a type of relationship that is rarely captured well in TV or film. It's the same reason I am decidedly NOT a Mulder/Scully shipper and why I kinda frown at Captain America/Bucky pairings or Hermione/Harry pairings. What all those friendships have is something unique and beautiful; genuine and unfiltered affection coupled with platonic love. Maybe that's naive bullshit on my part, but I just want a world in which Captain America and Bucky can go to a baseball game together, bro hug, and eat ballpark sausages without anyone getting any dirty ideas. Is that so wrong!?!?

And what do Dorothy and Lorelei do behind closed doors? On those cold nights in their cruise ship cabin alone? Choreograph those magical dance numbers! DUH!

• Like 6

I also agree that the Dorothy/Lorelei relationship is peerless and magnificent, but that is why I would NOT want them to run off together. I kind of think that real, lifelong BFFs are an extraordinarily rare thing, and a type of relationship that is rarely captured well in TV or film. It's the same reason I am decidedly NOT a Mulder/Scully shipper and why I kinda frown at Captain America/Bucky pairings or Hermione/Harry pairings. What all those friendships have is something unique and beautiful; genuine and unfiltered affection coupled with platonic love. Maybe that's naive bullshit on my part, but I just want a world in which Captain America and Bucky can go to a baseball game together, bro hug, and eat ballpark sausages without anyone getting any dirty ideas. Is that so wrong!?!?

And what do Dorothy and Lorelei do behind closed doors? On those cold nights in their cruise ship cabin alone? Choreograph those magical dance numbers! DUH!

I agree. Too much emphasis is placed on erotic love and not enough on philia. It just perpetuates the myth that true love has to involve sex. I find it's more satisfying to watch two people genuinely love each other as friends. Romantic love has been done to death.

• Like 6

I completely agree with both of you. That was purely my queer girl need for more queer girl related things coming to the surface lol.

• Like 7

I think the idea of both Marylin Monroe and Jane Russell living happily ever after, in any context, is appealing to all of us, especially to people who love the art they put out into the world. You know, like the peeps who participate on this board! Plus, Jane Russell is DEFINITELY a better partner, platonic or romantic, than Joe DiMaggio.

• Like 5

True Story Time: I have this photo framed on my wall.

0fdb8a29ddd2ea5039c5bc1a32b544f8.jpg

Jane Russell is quoted as saying she was surprised they didn't get asked to make prints of their more popular assets lol.

• Like 8

I just realized in this moment that both times I picked a movie I am genuinely head over heels in love with...

Whoops but also you're welcome

• Like 6

Hermione-Harry ship makes no sense to me.

• Like 7

I just realized in this moment that both times I picked a movie I am genuinely head over heels in love with...

Whoops but also you're welcome

So when did you first watch this movie? Did your parents introduce you to it?

• Like 4

So when did you first watch this movie? Did your parents introduce you to it?

It was middle school as far as I remember, I believe 13 but now I think I might have been 12. And no! Most classic films I've actually been the one to introduce to my mom! I don't really remember how it happened to be quite honest, but I just remember seeing this and becoming obsessed like instantly. I could put a lot of reasons onto why it happened so suddenly but honestly just watching this again I was smiling like an idiot through the whole thing so it's not hard to figure out lol.

EDIT: WAIT I REMEMBER! So I actually started to seek out her films when I was 13 because by that point I was already interested in her from her just being an icon. I already was clearly leaning towards a photographer mindset and was obsessed with the images taken of her. It was when I took that trip to LA in 2003, saw the handprints for Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and bought that photo I posted earlier, that I went back home and found that movie to actually watch.

Over the years I've been seeing more and more (they just did a day of her movies on TCM so I got three more in!) and reading more and more of her writings and the things people said about her, and I've really come to appreciate how complicated she was and the performances she gave.

• Like 6