#41 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 28 August 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

Now you know where Madonna got the inspiration for her Material Girl video.

ALSO!

"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#42 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationKansas

View PostCameron H., on 28 August 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

I agree about your point about how it's like Hope and Crosby's "Road to.." movies. You guys don't know how close you've come now to watching "Road to Bali" :)

Road To Bali is already on my "Watchlist" on Amazon Prime. I love every single Road to movie.

#43 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

The movie staging is where Madonna got the inspiration for her Material Girl video.

And of course we can't forget that the genius Baz Luhrmann mashed up 'Diamonds' and 'Material' in 'Moulin Rouge!'...

ETA; GOD DAMNIT TAYLOR
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#44 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

Omg double ALSO! because Rachel Bloom took the inspo from this movie and made her parody so damn funny and I LOVE IT

"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#45 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 28 August 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

ETA; GOD DAMNIT TAYLOR

Posted Image

#46 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 28 August 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Nitpick time: The Olympians that surround Jane sure didn't look like the team boarding the boat. ^_^

I was confused by the Olympic team. I thought they said they were track and field (which I guess wouldn't make sense) and then they were all gymnast? Dorothy said something about 20 of them, but that doesn't seem like enough athletes.

#47 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

View PostSaraK, on 28 August 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

I was confused by the Olympic team. I thought they said they were track and field (which I guess wouldn't make sense) and then they were all gymnast? Dorothy said something about 20 of them, but that doesn't seem like enough athletes.

They even mentioned that 4 dudes were the rowing team, right??? WHAT IS THE TRUTH

#48 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

The movie staging is where Madonna got the inspiration for her Material Girl video.

There's a reason Baz did that particular remix/mash up in Moulin Rogue (and Glee copied).

#49 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

Dammit! everyone beat me to it.

#50 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 28 August 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

They even mentioned that 4 dudes were the rowing team, right??? WHAT IS THE TRUTH

Cross-training?

#51 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 28 August 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Omg double ALSO! because Rachel Bloom took the inspo from this movie and made her parody so damn funny and I LOVE IT

Triple also! Years ago my family went to The Second City in Toronto (with Mike Myers and Ryan Stiles!). One of the bits was a musical number "Condoms are a girl's best friend" and the singer tossed out condoms to the audience.
Lorelei: "Pardon please, is this the boat to Europe, France?"
Steward: "To where?"
Dorothy: "Not Europe, France, honey. France is in Europe."
Lorelei: "Well who said it wasn't?"
Dorothy: "Well, you wouldn't say 'Is this the way to North America, Mexico', would you?"
Lorelei: "If that's where I wanted to go I would."
Dorothy: "The dealer passes."
-- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

#52 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

Let's just assume that the Olympic rowing, gymnast and track and field teams were all going to France together on the same boat, but to what end? We know why Dorothy and Lorelei were going (which is a bit weird that they'd have to provide their own line of credit for housing. Wouldn't the club/promoter they were working for put them up?) but why were these Olympians going?

#53 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

View PostEvRobert, on 28 August 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

Let's just assume that the Olympic rowing, gymnast and track and field teams were all going to France together on the same boat, but to what end? We know why Dorothy and Lorelei were going (which is a bit weird that they'd have to provide their own line of credit for housing. Wouldn't the club/promoter they were working for put them up?) but why were these Olympians going?

Cross-training in the French Alps?

#54 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

They weren't actually going there to work and that all happened after Gus cut them off financially. So they had to find jobs in order to get money and housing. Before that they solely relied on his line of credit to provide them with everything they needed.

#55 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

Well the 1952 Olympics were in Finland. Maybe they were going there.

#56 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 28 August 2017 - 07:32 AM, said:

They weren't actually going there to work and that all happened after Gus cut them off financially. So they had to find jobs in order to get money and housing. Before that they solely relied on his line of credit to provide them with everything they needed.

Huh. I thought they were going to perform at a club. I totally didn't pick up that they were just going on vacation on Gus' dime.

#57 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

I've got an answer regarding the Olympic team. According to Wikipedia, the 1924 Olympics were in Chamonix (Winter) and Paris (summer). Since the novel was written in 1925, I think it's safe to assume that's when the movie is set.
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#58 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostEvRobert, on 28 August 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

Huh. I thought they were going to perform at a club. I totally didn't pick up that they were just going on vacation on Gus' dime.

Oh, yeah. They discuss it at the beginning. Gus was supposed to go (I think), but had to bail, and Lorelei is like "Well, I'm going anyway, and since he loves me so much, he's going to let me and pay for it."
Tom: Mark, I loved those licks you were doing.
Miami Connection (1988)

Miss Mona: You know, it's always a business doing pleasure with you, Charlie!
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)

#59 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 28 August 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

Did you know...

Most of the song is Monroe's own voice but she needed help in two phrases – "These rocks don't lose their shape, diamonds are a girl's best friend", and at the beginning with a series of high-pitched "no's", all of which were dubbed in by the soprano Marni Nixon.

Marni Nixon dubbed quite a few female singing voices in musicals (and usually uncredited :mellow:)
She dubbed Audrey Hepburn's singing in My Fair Lady

#60 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:52 AM

View PostCameron H., on 28 August 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

Oh, yeah. They discuss it at the beginning. Gus was supposed to go (I think), but had to bail, and Lorelei is like "Well, I'm going anyway, and since he loves me so much, he's going to let me and pay for it."

THANK YOU! It's always bugged me that they took a boat trip and Gus seemed to do so later when he shows up at the club but Gus' dad flies in. I forgot Lorelei and Gus were supposed to go on vacation together.
Lorelei: "Pardon please, is this the boat to Europe, France?"
Steward: "To where?"
Dorothy: "Not Europe, France, honey. France is in Europe."
Lorelei: "Well who said it wasn't?"
Dorothy: "Well, you wouldn't say 'Is this the way to North America, Mexico', would you?"
Lorelei: "If that's where I wanted to go I would."
Dorothy: "The dealer passes."
-- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)