🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 19 Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Guess who's back....back again!

I LOVE this movie but what struck me was from the opening number to the closing nu mber, it reminded me of a less slapsticky version of the Hope & Crosby "Road To..." movies. It makes me a little sad that Marilyn became such a huge star because I would have loved a whole series of movies with Russell and Marilyn globetrotting, singing, and man hunting. They don't even have to be Dorethy and Lorelei (side note, has Amy Sherman-Pallidino said anything about getting Lauren Graham's character's name in Gilmore Girls from this? Because I know she loves those screwball comedies and that wicked word play).

The little kid was a highlight for me, and man I was hoping he'd come back in the end.

My only I guess nitpick is that "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" is the signature number from this film, because I'm not a huge fan of that song. Something about (and this bothered me during most of Marilyn's big numbers) her dropping into the alto range while talking in that high pitched breathy "baby" voice bothered me.

I'm real curious, since this is a title that I think everyone knows (even if they don't know the movie, they know the title), why this hasn't be revived a hundred times on Broadway.

• Like 8

I liked that line too. Just for some reason the other one weirded me. I realize that the character HAD to be a kid to show that all Lorelei's scheming could still have unintended consequences.

For sure because apparently in the book he is a man trying to win her affections during the whole trip.

What I loved about that little plot line though was that she wasn't trying to cheat on Gus by looking up a rich bachelor or anything, she genuinely just wanted to set her best friend up with someone that could provide a nice lifestyle.

• Like 6

My only I guess nitpick is that "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" is the signature number from this film, because I'm not a huge fan of that song. Something about (and this bothered me during most of Marilyn's big numbers) her dropping into the alto range while talking in that high pitched breathy "baby" voice bothered me.

Did you know...

Most of the song is Monroe's own voice but she needed help in two phrases – "These rocks don't lose their shape, diamonds are a girl's best friend", and at the beginning with a series of high-pitched "no's", all of which were dubbed in by the soprano Marni Nixon.
  • Like 7

Did you know...

I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me, Marilyn seemed more comfortable in the lower register.

• Like 5

For sure because apparently in the book he is a man trying to win her affections during the whole trip.

What I loved about that little plot line though was that she wasn't trying to cheat on Gus by looking up a rich bachelor or anything, she genuinely just wanted to set her best friend up with someone that could provide a nice lifestyle.

I was looking up the Broadway musical online and saw that in the casting and it threw me off a little. I think using a kid was a great move on Hawks' part.

• Like 6

Btw, this is a random thought, but I actually went to the library and rented the dvd for this. It made me feel very old school. They did not have it under 'musicals' which was a very confusing 5 minutes for me.

I did not realize that this movie was where the song came from, so I was a little thrown by hearing it. And then when I looked up Jane Russell afterwards, she was credited with the Burlesque soundtrack from the remix they did. It made me very sad for her and Marilyn.

• Like 6

Did you know...

Shit I didn't know that either! But the dubbing is really well done cause the way she forms her lips is exactly how you would need to do it in order to get those vowels out in that high of a tone.

I did find out that Jane was dubbed in both of the duets with Marilyn which made me REALLY sad because I had always marveled at how amazing it was that their voices blended together so nicely! "When Love Goes Wrong" is genuinely one of the top numbers in this and I think those harmonies are just stellar!

• Like 7

That was definitely cool that they were friends that looked out for one another and weren't in competition. I don't remember the line, but Jane tells that detective, "No, bro, you don't get to say shit about her."

I think my only real complaint is, while the choreography is fantastic, aside from "Diamonds" there aren't too many memorable songs. That "Little Rock" song comes close, though. I found Gigi had the same problem. It's like they were churning so many Musicals out at the time that they couldn't meet the demand for quality and a lot of songs, while not bad, come off like album fillers.

• Like 5

That was definitely cool that they were friends that looked out for one another and weren't in competition. I don't remember the line, but Jane tells that detective, "No, bro, you don't get to say shit about her."

I think my only real complaint is, while the choreography is fantastic, aside from "Diamonds" there aren't too many memorable songs. That "Little Rock" song comes close, though. I found Gigi had the same problem. It's like they were churning so many Musicals out at the time that they couldn't meet the demand for quality and a lot of songs, while not bad, come off like album fillers.

I am inclined to agree with you based on songs alone but I think the fact that Jane sings "Is Anyone Here For Love?" surrounded by the Olympians made that whole thing iconic.

• Like 5

Guess who's back....back again!

I LOVE this movie but what struck me was from the opening number to the closing nu mber, it reminded me of a less slapsticky version of the Hope & Crosby "Road To..." movies. It makes me a little sad that Marilyn became such a huge star because I would have loved a whole series of movies with Russell and Marilyn globetrotting, singing, and man hunting. They don't even have to be Dorethy and Lorelei (side note, has Amy Sherman-Pallidino said anything about getting Lauren Graham's character's name in Gilmore Girls from this? Because I know she loves those screwball comedies and that wicked word play).

The little kid was a highlight for me, and man I was hoping he'd come back in the end.

I'm real curious, since this is a title that I think everyone knows (even if they don't know the movie, they know the title), why this hasn't be revived a hundred times on Broadway.

I agree about your point about how it's like Hope and Crosby's "Road to.." movies. You guys don't know how close you've come now to watching "Road to Bali" :)

• Like 4

I did not realize that this movie was where the song came from, so I was a little thrown by hearing it. And then when I looked up Jane Russell afterwards, she was credited with the Burlesque soundtrack from the remix they did. It made me very sad for her and Marilyn.

The movie staging is where Madonna got the inspiration for her Material Girl video.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 4

Shit I didn't know that either! But the dubbing is really well done cause the way she forms her lips is exactly how you would need to do it in order to get those vowels out in that high of a tone.

I did find out that Jane was dubbed in both of the duets with Marilyn which made me REALLY sad because I had always marveled at how amazing it was that their voices blended together so nicely! "When Love Goes Wrong" is genuinely one of the top numbers in this and I think those harmonies are just stellar!

There's a specific female harmony in that era, and I don't think that it has a name or anything, that I just love. Like the Andrew Sisters or the Chordettes, that a lot of the harmonies and duets reminded me of.

• Like 5

While Is Anyone Here For Love and When Love Goes Wrong may not be as "iconic" as Diamonds, I absolutely loved them. And I didn't know they dubbed Jane for When Love Goes Wrong, I was impressed with their voices on that number. Old Hollywood.

• Like 3

I am inclined to agree with you based on songs alone but I think the fact that Jane sings "Is Anyone Here For Love?" surrounded by the Olympians made that whole thing iconic.

Nitpick time: The Olympians that surround Jane sure didn't look like the team boarding the boat. ^_^

• Like 5

Agreed! Everything looks so iconic, I just couldn't hum the tune to you, y'know?

• Like 4

I agree about your point about how it's like Hope and Crosby's "Road to.." movies. You guys don't know how close you've come now to watching "Road to Bali" :)

Road To Bali is already on my "Watchlist" on Amazon Prime. I love every single Road to movie.

• Like 3

The movie staging is where Madonna got the inspiration for her Material Girl video.

And of course we can't forget that the genius Baz Luhrmann mashed up 'Diamonds' and 'Material' in 'Moulin Rouge!'...

ETA; GOD DAMNIT TAYLOR

• Like 7

Nitpick time: The Olympians that surround Jane sure didn't look like the team boarding the boat. ^_^

I was confused by the Olympic team. I thought they said they were track and field (which I guess wouldn't make sense) and then they were all gymnast? Dorothy said something about 20 of them, but that doesn't seem like enough athletes.

• Like 7

I was confused by the Olympic team. I thought they said they were track and field (which I guess wouldn't make sense) and then they were all gymnast? Dorothy said something about 20 of them, but that doesn't seem like enough athletes.

They even mentioned that 4 dudes were the rowing team, right??? WHAT IS THE TRUTH

• Like 8

[media='']

[/media]

There's a reason Baz did that particular remix/mash up in Moulin Rogue (and Glee copied).

• Like 5

They even mentioned that 4 dudes were the rowing team, right??? WHAT IS THE TRUTH

Cross-training?

• Like 6