๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 19 Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Sorry, ...

tumblr_lmfe8uWh5I1ql2jw1o1_500.gif

ย 

I FINALLY got to see G.P.B. and I liked it very much... Although I still "prefer" "Some Like It Hot" this is a great entry for my classic movie library

ย 

ย 

ย 

From my handful of notes I picked 4 of them to share with you...

ย 

ย 

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

* ^^ The "You'll hurt yourself" line made me laugh because there IS actually some tearing of muscle in the exercise process that in turn makes them grow ( Although pain levels may vary and pain is not always a sure indicator that the excercise is being done right. So the phrase: "No Pain, No Gain" is True in some cases and a Myth in others )

ย 

* The Malone Investigation Pictures reminded me of the Patty Cakes scene in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

ย 

phPLy0t.png

ย 

* "When Love Goes Wrong (Nothing Goes Right)" Is my favourite song from the film

ย 

* The "Women are interested in Money and Men are interested in Looks" speech was really a clever argument that helped give depth to Marilyn's character. It was like a "Don't hate the player, hate the game" but with reasonable motives and a clear explanation for previous actions that without context seemed to portray Lorelai as nothing more than a Cheating Gold-Digger... (That and maybe the scenes that got cut also did not help on that front)

• Like 8

It's Thursday and the conversation has died down... So I think it's conspiracy theory time!

ย 

So there's the classic thing that I think (and hope) everyone knows - Marilyn did not commit suicide.

ย 

First of all, without anything else, I genuinely don't think she was trying to die. I think it was the situation where she had a fuckin cocktail of drugs handed to her and she just wanted to feel good, and accidentally overdosed. But with everything else... I genuinely think she was murdered by the government... For reaching out to the press to spill secrets on aliens...

ย 

WE'RE GETTING DEEP INTO IT!

ย 

There's this guy, Dr. Steven M. Greer, who wrote a book and then made a documentary called "The Unacknowledged" that has a TON of really compelling data about aliens in this country, and how the president may not even have clearance to know the things that are going on. He mentions that Carter, Reagan, Clinton, and Obama all tried to gain access and were all denied. Carter was even told, "If you want to ever have a second term you'll stop asking about this." Anyway, he says he has proof that Marilyn reached out to a reporter and said that she wanted to go public with information on Area 51 that JFK had spoken to her about. 3 days later she was found dead, and a day after that the reporter was found dead. And the entire call was recorded on tape because Marilyn was being tapped by the government.

ย 

It's crazy but when I heard him mention that I literally threw off my headphones and just went "I FUCKING KNEW IT!" It just didn't seem right that guys in suits were actually seen going into her home before police got there like that shit doesn't seem right!!!

• Like 8

I can buy that because something similar happened a few years later. I've been watching a lot of What's My Line? on YouTube and Dorothy Kilgallen died under similar mysterious circumstances. She was working on an expose of the Kennedy assassination and was in reasonable good health. Her last appearance on What's My Line? (hours before she died) is available and she looks completely normal.

ย 

Here's a quick NY Post article about a book released late last year.

http://nypost.com/20...got-her-killed/

ย 

Here's her last appearance on TV.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 5

Given the use of Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend in Moulin Rouge, I think there's another part of that movie that might be instructional in evaluating Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

ย 

I think this movie is a Jacob's Ladder scenario on the part of both ladies, stemming from their line of credit being withdrawn and being kicked out of the hotel onto the street with no money. The ladies returned what they could (although they had to walk a lot back to the various stores) and took the money and had to stay in a flophouse or similar low-rent digs a la Moulin Rouge or La Boheme (or Rent). They got jobs as singers but weren't paid very much, certainly not enough to let them keep living like they had been when Gus was financing them. They caught cold (or "consumption") and perished. The happy ending is them fantasizing how things might have been.

• Like 1

Given the use of Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend in Moulin Rouge, I think there's another part of that movie that might be instructional in evaluating Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

ย 

I think this movie is a Jacob's Ladder scenario on the part of both ladies, stemming from their line of credit being withdrawn and being kicked out of the hotel onto the street with no money. The ladies returned what they could (although they had to walk a lot back to the various stores) and took the money and had to stay in a flophouse or similar low-rent digs a la Moulin Rouge or La Boheme (or Rent). They got jobs as singers but weren't paid very much, certainly not enough to let them keep living like they had been when Gus was financing them. They caught cold (or "consumption") and perished. The happy ending is them fantasizing how things might have been.

ย 

Noooooo - this is too depressing.

• Like 4

ย 

Noooooo - this is too depressing.

I'm with you. Just couldn't resist bringing in a Jacob's Ladder scenario.

• Like 2

It's Thursday and the conversation has died down... So I think it's conspiracy theory time!

ย 

So there's the classic thing that I think (and hope) everyone knows - Marilyn did not commit suicide.

ย 

First of all, without anything else, I genuinely don't think she was trying to die. I think it was the situation where she had a fuckin cocktail of drugs handed to her and she just wanted to feel good, and accidentally overdosed. But with everything else... I genuinely think she was murdered by the government... For reaching out to the press to spill secrets on aliens...

ย 

ย 

There's this guy, Dr. Steven M. Greer, who wrote a book and then made a documentary called "The Unacknowledged" that has a TON of really compelling data about aliens in this country, and how the president may not even have clearance to know the things that are going on. He mentions that Carter, Reagan, Clinton, and Obama all tried to gain access and were all denied. Carter was even told, "If you want to ever have a second term you'll stop asking about this." Anyway, he says he has proof that Marilyn reached out to a reporter and said that she wanted to go public with information on Area 51 that JFK had spoken to her about. 3 days later she was found dead, and a day after that the reporter was found dead. And the entire call was recorded on tape because Marilyn was being tapped by the government.

ย 

It's crazy but when I heard him mention that I literally threw off my headphones and just went "I FUCKING KNEW IT!" It just didn't seem right that guys in suits were actually seen going into her home before police got there like that shit doesn't seem right!!!

ย 

I don't think I've heard of this one! But I can buy it too..

200.gif#0-grid1

ย 

The only ones I have heard of.. was that (one of) the Kennedys could have been involved to cover up an affair. Since there were rumors of Robert Kennedy and JFK at one point having an affair with Marilyn.

ย 

Or that the mafia murdered her to hurt the Kennedys. To send a message to Robert Kennedy to back off in his crusade against the mob.

• Like 6

I don't think I've heard of this one! But I can buy it too..

200.gif#0-grid1

ย 

The only ones I have heard of.. was that (one of) the Kennedys could have been involved to either cover up an affair. Since there were rumors of Robert Kennedy and JFK at one point having an affair with Marilyn.

ย 

Or that the mafia murdered her to hurt the Kennedys. To send a message to back off Robert Kennedy's crusade against the mob.

I honestly hadn't heard the aliens part until just recently either when Dr. Greer went on Bizarre States, but good lord does he make compelling statements!

ย 

The one I was more familiar with was that she was killed because of how much she knew about the Cuban Missile Crisis. I totally think it's known now that she had an affair with both John and Bobby, and they were forced to break up with her to keep their upstanding husband images in tact. So apparently that's why she was going to the press because she was heartbroken over being forced to stop seeing them.

• Like 4

I've had a busy week and when I came to make more comments most of what I wanted to say has been said. Here are just a few loss thoughts of what's been said.

ย 

I think Lorelei actually did love Gus. Yes she did like his wealth and the things it could get him, but if she was a gold digger you'd expect her to break up marriages. Or if she just wanted the material things she'd be happy being the side piece to some rich guy. Rather I think she loved Gus and this sounds bad but because he was a bit of a pushover. Lorelei as seen was not dumb, rather very smart and I think it is the simplicity of Gus that she liked. It makes more sense that they're getting married at the end than Dorothy and Ernie.

ย 

I think it's their friendship that also drives this movie and makes it work. The "buddy" type movie is sorely missed. It seems to be about ensembles and groups now and there is no time given to the two-some. I wonder if it's because the over done popularity of the bubby cop genre that killed it but I agree a "Road to" series with these two characters could be fun. However, marrying them off at the end kinda kills that, but I want more of these kind of movies.

• Like 4

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Being that The X-Files is one of my favorite shows ever (evaaaaaar), I hereby buy into this WHOLEHEARTEDLY. While I do not credit the present administration even 1% of the competence necessary to pull off a conpiracy of this magnitude (and I feel like, if it was true, Trump would have blabbed about it on Twitter by now), I think past administrations were sure all up in aliens/Marylin's personal drug cocktails. BRB gotta write Marylin/Mulder/Scully fanfic.

• Like 5

Being that The X-Files is one of my favorite shows ever (evaaaaaar), I hereby buy into this WHOLEHEARTEDLY. While I do not credit the present administration even 1% of the competence necessary to pull off a conpiracy of this magnitude (and I feel like, if it was true, Trump would have blabbed about it on Twitter by now), I think past administrations were sure all up in aliens/Marylin's personal drug cocktails. BRB gotta write Marylin/Mulder/Scully fanfic.

Oh hell no, there's no way 45 would have any clearance on this kind of information. Supposedly there's a group made up of certain people that do gain access including H.W. Bush and Cheney (including some CEOs of companies). It of course all has to do with oil and renewable resources because they're all more concerned with the people finding out that aliens have amazing technology rather than the aliens themselves. If they can get alien ships that literally never need to be refilled, then how do all the oil tycoons make their money?

ย 

And that's shit I can totally see happening because look at what they do to Earth for oil...

ย 

Okay, that's where I stop before I get even more political lol!

• Like 2

Thank y'all for a fantastic two weeks of watching and discussing this movie with me! I really enjoy bringing people to new amazing movies!

• Like 4

Thank YOU, Taylor! This was fun to revisit and had a lot more alien talk than I would have expected - which is always nice :)

• Like 3

This was a great film and just what I needed to jump back in after being gone for several weeks. thanks Taylor!

• Like 4

I saw the Lady Gaga Netflix Bio/Documentary "Gaga: Five Foot Two" and she talks a little bit about Marilyn Monroe and who she thinks is responsible for M.M. death...

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Lady Gaga Said:

"- If I'm going to be sexy on the VMA's and sing about the paparazzi, I'm going to do it while bleeding to death and reminding you of what fame did to Marilyn Monroe. - Right. - The original Norma Jean. And what it did to Anna Nicole Smith. And what it did to... Yeah. Do you know who?"

ย 

(Personal note from Me... "Max": That "do you know who?" line covers ANYBODY before 2016 Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain. And also it does not have to be somebody from the music industry so personally I could narrow it down but I couldn't pinpoint who she was talking about)

ย 

ย 

And in one of the first scenes her house is filled with star shapped ballons because Bradley Coopper is directing the "A Star is Born" remake starring her

• Like 5

I saw the Lady Gaga Netflix Bio/Documentary "Gaga: Five Foot Two" and she talks a little bit about Marilyn Monroe and who she thinks is responsible for M.M. death...

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Lady Gaga Said:

"- If I'm going to be sexy on the VMA's and sing about the paparazzi, I'm going to do it while bleeding to death and reminding you of what fame did to Marilyn Monroe. - Right. - The original Norma Jean. And what it did to Anna Nicole Smith. And what it did to... Yeah. Do you know who?"

ย 

(Personal note from Me... "Max": That "do you know who?" line covers ANYBODY before 2016 Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain. And also it does not have to be somebody from the music industry so personally I could narrow it down but I couldn't pinpoint who she was talking to)

ย 

ย 

And in one of the first scenes her house is filled with star shapped ballons because Bradley Coopper is directing the "A Star is Born" remake starring her

I don't disagree with her but I'll take it a step farther and say that 1950s-60s expectations of a female killed her too. I believe that if she were born in this modern era and suffered through her mental illnesses with less stigma then she wouldn't have relied so heavily on drugs to make her feel better. Now we know that with Amy, Kurt, Whitney, etc those people were all dealing with demons and still ended up succumbing to their illnesses but I just think Marilyn could have been different. Also I still kinda believe in the whole conspiracy part cause she really wanted to make herself a better, more confident, actress.

• Like 6

I don't disagree with her but I'll take it a step farther and say that 1950s-60s expectations of a female killed her too. I believe that if she were born in this modern era and suffered through her mental illnesses with less stigma then she wouldn't have relied to heavily on drugs to make her feel better. ...I just think Marilyn could have been different. Also I still kinda believe in the whole conspiracy part cause she really wanted to make herself a better, more confident, actress.

ย 

Agreed

• Like 2