🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 170 - Bratz

In the podcast, the hosts wondered aloud what teen comedy Bratz was most similar too, but it seems to me that the answer is "all of them" -- as in, every popular teen comedy released within the decade prior to the filming of Bratz. Let's count 'em up:

1. The opening credits are EXTREMELY similar to those of Legally Blonde, to say nothing of the character who carries a cute little dog in her purse while floating in a pool.

2. As was mentioned, Meredith seems like a low-rent version of Regina George from Mean Girls. Additionally, she enters a talent show with a choreographed dance number as a key plot point.

3. There is a cheerleading scene in which one character literally says, "Bring it on."

4. One of the Bratz plays soccer to the tune of the Faders' "No Sleep Tonight," exactly as in the Amanda Bynes vehicle She's the Man (no cross-dressing, though).

5. The the description of the lunch-table cliques in the courtyard are lifted directly from Clueless, in addition to the scene in which a teacher receives an abrupt makeover from one of her students.

These aren't just generic devices used across many teen movies like the mean principal, slobs-vs.-snobs conflict, or annoying younger siblings (though of course Bratz hits on all of these too), these are obvious DIRECT ripoffs of other recent and popular films in the same genre. I'm not sure I can recall any other movie that has engaged in such broad plagiarism, from so many sources. Anything else I'm missing?

6. Meredith and the Bratz seem to be the most visible and important students at the school even though (in the beginning) they are freshmen and sophomores - Juniors and seniors are meaningless and not present. This is extremely similar to Saved by the Bell where the gang rules the school regardless of their class status.

7. The gang finds that they should stick it out as friends even though they don't run in the same cliques... which is the exact outcome of The Breakfast Club.

• Like 3

2. As was mentioned, Meredith seems like a low-rent version of Regina George from Mean Girls. Additionally, she enters a talent show with a choreographed dance number as a key plot point.

Meredith was also a bobo Sharpay from High School Musical.

Forgot to mention the cameos during the talent show audition, including Kevin McHale from Glee and Steven Anthony Lawrence from the Disney show Even Stevens (he was Beans).

steven-anthony-lawrence-4.jpg

• Like 5

Meredith was also a bobo Sharpay from High School Musical.

Forgot to mention the cameos during the talent show audition, including Kevin McHale from Glee and Steven Anthony Lawrence from the Disney show Even Stevens (he was Beans).

steven-anthony-lawrence-4.jpg

When I was watching Jaws 2 the other day I kept referring to Michael Brody's buddy as "Beans."

16336-9839.gif

• Like 1

I am so late on so many of these posts but I read through all of them and these theories y'all

giphy.gif

• Like 6

One of the gang asked if a deaf person could be a good DJ using just the sensation of the beats vibrating through the headphones on his neck.

I guess I don't really know, but I would think ... maybe? Good DJ-ing is all about matching beats, so as long as Dylan could feel the rhythm, he should be able to beat-match effectively and could probably scratch OK, too. The main issue would be mixing songs that are too different -- if he's unfamiliar with the songs he's trying to beat-match, he might go from a hip-hop song to Tom Jones or whatever. But, if he wasn't born deaf, he should have a catalog of music in his head that's familiar to him; he'd just have to avoid mixing anything that was released after he lost his hearing. I guess that means he wouldn't be able to use any new music, which might cut down on his club appeal, but he could do weddings and things like that, right?

I've met a few deaf folks that really enjoy going to metal shows simply because the music is so heavy and loud that they can feel the beat. I have a friend who is an ASL interpreter, and metal shows are a big percentage of the gigs she gets. So, to me, DJ-ing seems doable.

Thoughts?

I can't comment on weather or not a person who is deaf would be a good DJ, I'll just say that, as a wedding DJ, we don't do a lot of beat matching and scratching. But people do want music that they know. It's a weird but fun industry.

• Like 8

I can't comment on weather or not a person who is deaf would be a good DJ, I'll just say that, as a wedding DJ, we don't do a lot of beat matching and scratching. But people do want music that they know. It's a weird but fun industry.

Just out of curiosity, how is it weird?

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, how is it weird?

Weird in that songs I haven't thought about in forever or you would normally think are annoying, people love.

Like 3 hours into an open bar, people are totally down to do the Macarana, or The Chicken Dance. But if you try and mix it up with something "different" (like I have a techno/EDM version of the chicken dance that I've tried to mix into the original) they don't go for.

You also play almost the same songs every week, week after week (Cha Cha Slide Part 2, Footloose, Ice Ice Baby, Baby Got Back, Crank That, Get Low), but then every dance is also different because this bride hates Lady Gaga but that one hates Taylor Swift. So I play a lot of the same songs, but I have to tailor it to their specific needs.

There is also so much down time. I'll roll into a wedding reception 2 hours before it starts to set up. Then I've got nothing to do for an hour, 5 minutes to introduce the wedding party and dinner, then nothing for an hour and half for dinner/cake/toasts, then you have 3 hours of djing.

It's also like, people for the most part don't want to hear new songs (with some exceptions. When Uptown Funk was released I knew it would be one I'd play for years, but 24k Magic, not so much.) People seemingly want to dance to music that they know and spark some sort of nostalgia. It's a trick of knowing what to play and what not to.

I think there is a reason why in movies (and TV shows), you more often see a band at a wedding and a DJ at a school. There is something inherent about seeing a band do covers vs a DJ doing something new or unique like mixing.

• Like 5

Weird in that songs I haven't thought about in forever or you would normally think are annoying, people love.

Like 3 hours into an open bar, people are totally down to do the Macarana, or The Chicken Dance. But if you try and mix it up with something "different" (like I have a techno/EDM version of the chicken dance that I've tried to mix into the original) they don't go for.

You also play almost the same songs every week, week after week (Cha Cha Slide Part 2, Footloose, Ice Ice Baby, Baby Got Back, Crank That, Get Low), but then every dance is also different because this bride hates Lady Gaga but that one hates Taylor Swift. So I play a lot of the same songs, but I have to tailor it to their specific needs.

There is also so much down time. I'll roll into a wedding reception 2 hours before it starts to set up. Then I've got nothing to do for an hour, 5 minutes to introduce the wedding party and dinner, then nothing for an hour and half for dinner/cake/toasts, then you have 3 hours of djing.

It's also like, people for the most part don't want to hear new songs (with some exceptions. When Uptown Funk was released I knew it would be one I'd play for years, but 24k Magic, not so much.) People seemingly want to dance to music that they know and spark some sort of nostalgia. It's a trick of knowing what to play and what not to.

I think there is a reason why in movies (and TV shows), you more often see a band at a wedding and a DJ at a school. There is something inherent about seeing a band do covers vs a DJ doing something new or unique like mixing.

3af70cec3dd8d08673517daa5c8628647439824a.gif

• Like 2

What's the weirdest "first dance" song you've ever been asked to play?

• Like 3

What's the weirdest "first dance" song you've ever been asked to play?

I can't recall a weird "first dance" (most are pretty standard) but the weirdest father/daughter dance was Kenny Loggins' Return To Pooh Corner. (that dance all together was memorable. Wedding and reception were held in a country club. Bride and groom were both like 18 or 19. Groom just graduated from Basic Training, bride just finished the first semester of college. So they were the youngest couple I've ever DJ'd for. It was on a Sunday afternoon too. So all that to account for there was very little drinking and drinking usually indicates more dancing. Then, with about two hours left in the reception, a grandparent, who wasn't at the ceremony and reception, had a stroke and the nursing home called. So we ended early.)

• Like 5

I can't recall a weird "first dance" (most are pretty standard) but the weirdest father/daughter dance was Kenny Loggins' Return To Pooh Corner. (that dance all together was memorable. Wedding and reception were held in a country club. Bride and groom were both like 18 or 19. Groom just graduated from Basic Training, bride just finished the first semester of college. So they were the youngest couple I've ever DJ'd for. It was on a Sunday afternoon too. So all that to account for there was very little drinking and drinking usually indicates more dancing. Then, with about two hours left in the reception, a grandparent, who wasn't at the ceremony and reception, had a stroke and the nursing home called. So we ended early.)

Whoa.

Ok me next... What is the worst song that gets frequently requested and why is it Kid Rock's All Summer Long?

• Like 3

Because All summer Long pairs well with (beat wise) to Georgia Satellite's Keep Your Hands To Yourself and obviously samples Skynard's Sweet Home Alabama.

I groan every time I get a request of Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)

• Like 5

Whoa.

Ok me next... What is the worst song that gets frequently requested and why is it Kid Rock's All Summer Long?

I'm so glad I don't know what this is. I know exactly the same number of Kid Rock songs as I do Ted Nugent's songs (2) so I really don't understand why I seem to hear their dumb names as often as I do.

EvR - if you dont mind, i have two more questions after you answer Polly.

1) We know MC Hammer was "2 Legit 2 Quit," but if he were to find a job that was maybe not as quite as legit but had better benefits, do you think he should at least consider it?

2) Do you think Hammer ever hurt 'em?

• Like 4

I'm so glad I don't know what this is. I know the exactly the same number of Kid Rock songs as I do Ted Nugent's songs (2) so I really don't understand why I seem to hear their dumb names as often as I do.

EvR - if you dont mind, i have two more questions after you answer Polly.

1) We know MC Hammer was "2 Legit 2 Quit," but if he were to find a job that was maybe not as quite as legit but had better benefits, do you think he should at least consider it?

1) No.

2) Yes.

• Like 5

2) Yes.

Hammer definitely hurt a few folks during his Funky Headhunter days ...

• Like 6

I have another DJ question for EvR.

Is there any song that you loved that you've now grown to hate because you've just had to play it and listen to it ad nauseam?

Conversely, are they any songs that you've come around on that at first you didn't care for?

• Like 3

I'm so glad I don't know what this is. I know exactly the same number of Kid Rock songs as I do Ted Nugent's songs (2) so I really don't understand why I seem to hear their dumb names as often as I do.

This is all you need to know... he rhymes "things" with "things." It's a part of the chorus.

• Like 4

This is all you need to know... he rhymes "things" with "things." It's a part of the chorus.

Oh, wow. He's a regular Percy Bysshe Shelly. That is if Shelly were a barely literate donkey fart with a chronic case of meth hair.

• Like 5

Hey, since you're getting to know the community - it seems apt that over in our Musical Mondays thread we're watching a Dolly Parton movie this coming week. Come on over, join us, join in! No need for any past experience or knowledge with musicals...

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/49726-musical-mondays-off-week-19-tomspanks-2nd-pick/

• Like 2

Hey, since you're getting to know the community - it seems apt that over in our Musical Mondays thread we're watching a Dolly Parton movie this coming week. Come on over, join us, join in! No need for any past experience or knowledge with musicals...

http://forum.earwolf...panks-2nd-pick/

Interesting! Whorehouse is Dolly at her most gorgeous. The stage show is kind of shitty, but it translated to the screen pretty well. Who doesn't like a good-old-fashioned whore-down? Yee haw!

• Like 6

Polly and Triple have both been added to the Musical Mondays rotation! Welcome aboard! We're so glad to have you!

And, of course, everyone on the boards are invited, as well. No Musical background is necessary and everyone gets a pick. Basically, it's something fun to do on HDTGM off weeks.

Also, once a month, we are doing HDTGM Classics. Usually every 2nd Friday (although this month we're still working that out) we all get together and watch a HDTGM movie. We've been doing it via rabb.it and it's been a lot of fun so far! Anyone interested is invited to that, as well! Just bring your Bratitude and none of your platitudes :)

• Like 8

I have another DJ question for EvR.

Is there any song that you loved that you've now grown to hate because you've just had to play it and listen to it ad nauseam?

Conversely, are they any songs that you've come around on that at first you didn't care for?

I'm not a wedding DJ but as a wedding photographer I also have an answer for this.

It's also the most used first dance song ever and I'm fucking sick of it

"A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri

• Like 5

I'm not a wedding DJ but as a wedding photographer I also have an answer for this.

It's also the most used first dance song ever and I'm fucking sick of it

"A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri

My friend got married a few years ago and said she might use that song as her first dance because it was right after Twilight was released, she's a huge Twihard, and that song was a big thing in the movie (I guess, I never saw it. Its a huge point of contention in our friendship lol) . I mocked her a bit so she changed it to something else, but then added it as one of the last songs of the night and told the DJ to dedicate it to me.

• Like 6