278 replies to this topic

#21 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 01 September 2017 - 05:25 AM, said:

I only knew about the "Bernoulli's effect" regarding how airplanes get their lift, so I didn't understand what that had to do with the fireworks.

When they said it, I was worried maybe I didn't know what the Bernoulli principle was. Went to Google and, no, the writer of Bratz is wrong not me.

#22 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

2 questions:

1)
meredith, gets yasmin to pull out of the talent show by showing her something from her flash drive. she says chloe wouldn't want the world finding out things went missing when chloe's mother worked for her family. i thought first she was saying the mother was stealing from them but at the talent show she accuses chloe of stealing a doll. but it turns out that it was meredith's little sister took it. so my question is ... what was on the flash drive? what made yasmin believe meredith?

and it was resolved so quickly. after she accuses chloe of stealing, in front of the whole the whole school community (to which her mother has zero reaction btw), chloe denies it, the little sister walks out on stage and confesses to it and before you can even blink they've moved on .. this was a major plot point and that's it? .. there are no repercussions? chloe doesn't need a scholarship. she's going to clean up in her defamation of character lawsuit.

2)
why did the school have so much security? what happened in the years before the girls started at the school?

#23 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:20 AM

I don't know how I feel about the new logo. It looks better and I love everyone's faces. But I also miss the silliness of the old one.

This is going to take me awhile to process.

#24 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:32 AM

The gang talked about how they wished the actress playing Yasmin was a Latina. According to the internet, the actress, Nathalia Ramos, was born in Spain to a Spanish father and an Australian mother, who has a "Sephardic Jewish background." Maybe that explains Yasmin's "bubbie," which is a term for a Jewish grandmother. And maybe it also explains why they butchered the song La Cucaracha. The third line is "porque no tiene, porque le falta" - but the duo repeats the last phrase and sings "porque le falta, porque le falta." I'm going to blame this on the mariachi band living at their house. They should've corrected them! In addition, I'm pretty sure bubbie sings nonsense words for the last line "las dos patitas de atras."

#25 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

Second thought (not done with podcast): Can we get an Etsy shop to repaint Bratz dolls into BIG BRATZ?

#26 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

Great episode, btw!

When Jade is tutoring the dumb jocks she writes an equation on the board and asks them: "x + y + z divided by 3?" Now, I'm not a "maths" guy so I could very well be wrong, but since she doesn't give a value for any either x, y, or z, isn't the answer the equation itself?
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#27 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

Am I the only one who couldn't look at Yasmin's bubbie without thinking of Lainie Kazan in 'Gigli', getting Ben Affleck to inject her with a syringe in the ass, over a too-tight exposed thong? That image is going with me throughout the rest of my life.
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#28 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 01 September 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Second thought (not done with podcast): Can we get an Etsy shop to repaint Bratz dolls into BIG BRATZ?

I like Wendy Tsao's work too.

View PostCameron H., on 01 September 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

When Jade is tutoring the dumb jokes she writes an equation on the board and asks them: "x + y + z divided by 3?" Now, I'm not a "maths" guy so I could very well be wrong, but since she doesn't give a value for any either x, y, or z, isn't the answer the equation itself?

Uh, duh. The answer is (a touchdown + an extra point + safety) divided by a field goal.

#29 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostCameron H., on 01 September 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Great episode, btw!

When Jade is tutoring the dumb jokes she writes an equation on the board and asks them: "x + y + z divided by 3?" Now, I'm not a "maths" guy so I could very well be wrong, but since she doesn't give a value for any either x, y, or z, isn't the answer the equation itself?

That got me too. I was going to rewind it to see if I missed something on the board but by that point I couldn't bring myself to press the rewind button

#30 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 01 September 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

Uh, duh. The answer is (a touchdown + an extra point + safety) divided by a field goal.

Was it? I must have tuned out...

I just rewatched the scene and you're right, but she doesn't give them those values when she initially asks the question. When they don't know how to answer, she gives them an "oooooookayyyyy" like she's dealing with a bunch of fucking slugs. You didn't give them any values! You can't treat them like morons, asshole!
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#31 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 01 September 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

If only I understood football...
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#32 Herself

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

Correction/Omission: that girl's dad in the opening isn't reacting to the mother like "ugh, women". When the doorbell rings, he says to tell her mother that she has to take you to the dentist on Thursday. Then the mother comes in & says tell your father he has to take you to the dentist on Thursday.

I'm not great with details, I only watched nine minutes of the movie. Pretty much the only thing I can remember.

#33 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:57 AM

I'm surprised the gang didn't point out that the head cheerleader was played by none other than Sasha Cohen, the American Olympic figure skater.

Posted Image

#34 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 01 September 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

I'm surprised the gang didn't point out that the head cheerleader was played by none other than Sasha Cohen, the American Olympic figure skater.

I didn't catch this either! But I did catch that she wore a tiara THE ENTIRE MOVIE.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#35 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:59 AM

View PostCameron H., on 01 September 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

I just rewatched the scene and you're right, but she doesn't give them those values when she initially asks the question. When they don't know how to answer, she gives them an "oooooookayyyyy" like she's dealing with a bunch of slugs suffering from severe head trauma. You didn't give them any values! You can't treat them like morons, asshole!

That's how math works. X always stands for a touchdown, right?

#36 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

I went on the Bratz wiki to see what happened to Chloe's dad. I'm embarassed by myself.

#37 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostCameron H., on 01 September 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

I just rewatched the scene and you're right, but she doesn't give them those values when she initially asks the question. When they don't know how to answer, she gives them an "oooooookayyyyy" like she's dealing with a bunch of slugs suffering from severe head trauma. You didn't give them any values! You can't treat them like morons, asshole!

I don't want to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure there was a long list of other things on the left side of the whiteboard that I assumed factored into the final equation. I don't think she was starting with X+Y+Z, but I also wouldn't put it past this movie.

#38 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 01 September 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

I went on the Bratz wiki to see what happened to Chloe's dad. I'm embarassed by myself.

Don't leave us hanging!

#39 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

I would love to know if there are any listeners on this board that are younger than I am, because a lot of the times I feel like the youngest, and I was already too old for this movie when it came out - being the exact age as the girls in the movie...

Spice World was definitely my movie because of exactly what Jason was saying - I was 7 when that came out and I was head over heels for everything Spice Girls related (however I still argue that shit holds up). But Bratz the dolls came out a full 6 years before this movie was made, and I wonder if by 2007 their popularity had lessened. Because my sister would have been the right age for this movie and she just didn't seem interested in them at this point.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#40 St.Krebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationthe vatican

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

Nothing to do with the movie - I just want to know how long that "second opinions" theme song really went on...