🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 20 The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

I'm guessing a 'Hard Candy Christmas" would be something kind of sweet, but hard to swallow. Like, it's Christmas, and we're happy about that, but things aren't all that great either.

I wasn't sure what hard candy Christmas meant, but also read this when I was looking thru the trivia IMDB page that:

"A Hard-Candy Christmas". This refers to being disappointed or down. Filled candies were not as available in the 30s through the 50s as they are today and were expensive. Children usually got chocolate covered filled candy at Christmas-time as a treat. If their families were experiencing financial troubles all they would get were the relatively cheap hard candies which left them disappointed.

So you're pretty on point!

• Like 7

Like I said, I watched this a couple of weeks (maybe a month or so back) for The Canon and loved it then (although I wasn't surprised or disappointed that 9 to 5 "won" in that match up. It is the superior film).

Is it, really?

Thank you for posting that definition of hard candy Christmas, Kate. I was confused that the song was referring to hard times while referring to hard candies, which include candy canes that are everywhere during Christmas. Yeah, it's not chocolate, but it's still candy.

• Like 6

Is it, really?

Thank you for posting that definition of hard candy Christmas, Kate. I was confused that the song was referring to hard times while referring to hard candies, which include candy canes that are everywhere during Christmas. Yeah, it's not chocolate, but it's still candy.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what she meant either. It makes more sense now.. that they're sad & disappointed, but still optimistic..

But idk it's still kind of strange to me that closing the Chicken Ranch is like a hard candy Christmas?

They just lost their jobs and have to get out of town! You'd think they'd be more devastated.

• Like 4

Is it, really?

Yeah, but like you said, they're everywhere - so kind of disappointing. There's nothing really special about them. They're like the bare minimum of candy - like candy corn on Halloween.

@kate - I'm guessing they went more optimistic so the ending wouldn't be a complete bummer.

• Like 4

Yeah, but like you said, they're everywhere - so kind of disappointing. There's nothing really special about them. They're like the bare minimum of candy - like candy corn on Halloween.

@kate - I'm guessing they went more optimistic so the ending wouldn't be a complete bummer.

I never took you for a candy elitist.

So what's the opposite, a soft candy Christmas? That doesn't sound good either.

• Like 5

I never took you for a candy elitist.

I'm just saying some things are inherently of better quality than others. If that makes me an elitist, well...

• Like 5

Also, just wanted to let everyone know they're getting "Wishing you a soft candy Christmas" cards from me.

• Like 5

Is it, really?

I think it has better comedic timing, stronger leads against Dolly (as much as I love Burt, he can't beat Lily and Jane), and a better antagonist (Dabney Colemen vs Dom Deluise). The supporting cast in 9to5 is better and more memorable with better defined characters then Whorehouse. What can you tell me about the girl's in in Dolly's house? What do we know about Jewel/Porky? I think the 9 to 5 musical is better then TBLWHIT musical (to be fair, 9to5 musical came out much latter whereas the movie is based on the musical. Whorehouse musical also came from a transition time in Broadway), and I think the song "9 to 5" is better and more closely associated with Dolly then "I Will Always Love You", which rightly or wrongly, is more associated with Whitney.

In Whorehouse's favor though is, Dolly gets to sing more (always a plus), Charles Duning (and what was he doing getting 4th billed for one scene) is better then Sterling Hayden (although their roles aren't exactly analogous, they are both represent an authority figure who can change the course of the film and appear in one scene), and Whorehouse is a lot more diverse then 9to5.

Now, that all said, I think Whorehouse has a more...timely message. You could make this movie today with one minor change (you know they would change Dom Deluise to a televangelist rather then a watch dog consumer advocate---which...why does a watch dog advocate CARE about a whore house in a small town in Texas? Publicity maybe? I can't see it falling in his realm unless the sex workers aren't...as advertised? But the small town politics vs the "big city" politics resonates more, even stronger I think, today then it did in the early 80s.

Growing up in a small town in Kansas (5,000) and living in a slightly bigger town (20,000) but both being the "biggest" city in their area, I could honestly see this playing out, just because I hear and have heard about the complaining every time the state or national legislature votes for something that affects us out here. Small towns in the South/midwest, really just want to be left alone.

• Like 4

But idk it's still kind of strange to me that closing the Chicken Ranch is like a hard candy Christmas?

They just lost their jobs and have to get out of town! You'd think they'd be more devastated.

I always assumed that the girls knew that their job at the Chicken Ranch had a limited shelf life and Miss Mona wasn't grooming any of them to take over anytime soon, so while it's bad, I would guess it's something that they all knew would come eventually.

• Like 4

Also, just wanted to let everyone know they're getting "Wishing you a soft candy Christmas" cards from me.

Honestly, the thought of a "soft candy Christmas" turns my stomach...

• Like 5

Just to blast through a few responses ...

BTW - Here's my hot take on brothels: two consenting adults can have sex for whatever reason they like. A person can want to have sex with someone because they love them, or because of the way they cut their hair, the way they walk, the cereal they eat, or for an exchange of goods and services. As long as both parties agree on the terms, who gives a fuck?

I basically agree, but the way we have sex determines whether we go to heaven, so ... baby Jesus cares, you sinners.

I am obsessed with the celebrity status of local news people. I would love to see a documentary about this. Basically the idea that a person can be famous and respected then drive 20 minutes away and nobody knows or cares who they are is insane to me.

My granddad worked for a local TV news station, and when he died, a couple of the local anchors came to the funeral. And several of our family friends totally and inappropriately freaked the fuck out over being in the same room as these local half-celebs.

But I'll tell you ... these local half-celebs sure sometimes talk and act like the A-listers they think they are.

I'm not sure I want to know what "Gig'Em" means, though.

Here is a photo of a gigger using a gigger to gig a frog:

frog_1.jpg

Hope that helps clear things up :)

• Like 7

My granddad worked for a local TV news station, and when he died, a couple of the local anchors came to the funeral. And several of our family friends totally and inappropriately freaked the fuck out over being in the same room as these local half-celebs.

But I'll tell you ... these local half-celebs sure sometimes talk and act like the A-listers they think they are.

One of the DJs I work with still just goes on and on about this wedding he DJ'd the reception for and a local radio personality was there. I'm like "dude no one outside of the listening area cares and of the listening area, probably only 25% care".

It is a bit weird, the "local celebrity" culture.

• Like 6

Oh, yeah! I felt terrible for all the women! How horrible!

This was the most troubling part of the movie for me! All these women losing their jobs, losing their homes, having to leave town and go ... where, exactly? And how are they going to explain the giant gap in their employment histories on their job applications?

• Like 7

I think it has better comedic timing, stronger leads against Dolly (as much as I love Burt, he can't beat Lily and Jane), and a better antagonist (Dabney Colemen vs Dom Deluise). The supporting cast in 9to5 is better and more memorable with better defined characters then Whorehouse. What can you tell me about the girl's in in Dolly's house? What do we know about Jewel/Porky? I think the 9 to 5 musical is better then TBLWHIT musical (to be fair, 9to5 musical came out much latter whereas the movie is based on the musical. Whorehouse musical also came from a transition time in Broadway), and I think the song "9 to 5" is better and more closely associated with Dolly then "I Will Always Love You", which rightly or wrongly, is more associated with Whitney.

You convinced me I need to watch 9 to 5. And I had no idea there was a musical version of it.

Re: "I Will Always Love You," I had no idea it was a song in TBLWHIT and when she started singing it in the movie, it was really cool. But today, I kept humming Whitney's version. Dolly's version was so sweet and intimate, but I prefer Whitney's powerful r&b version, especially the part where there's a 4 count (?) silence with a single bass drum kick at the end and then she belts out "And I......"

• Like 5

Don't forget to mention the real star of this film, Charles Durning, who got an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor!

• Like 7

This was the most troubling part of the movie for me! All these women losing their jobs, losing their homes, having to leave town and go ... where, exactly? And how are they going to explain the giant gap in their employment histories on their job applications?

Chicken farmer?

Honestly, the thought of a "soft candy Christmas" turns my stomach...

I can think of one person who would love a Christmas with soft candies (like licorice allsorts).

• Like 6

You convinced me I need to watch 9 to 5. And I had no idea there was a musical version of it.

Re: "I Will Always Love You," I had no idea it was a song in TBLWHIT and when she started singing it in the movie, it was really cool. But today, I kept humming Whitney's version. Dolly's version was so sweet and intimate, but I prefer Whitney's powerful r&b version, especially the part where there's a 4 count (?) silence with a single bass drum kick at the end and then she belts out "And I......"

Blasphemy. I like Whitney's version, but she doesn't hold a candle to Dolly. Whitney wouldn't even know about the song if Costner (if I recall correctly) didn't suggest it.

Don't forget to mention the real star of this film, Charles Durning, who got an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor!

Durning for a supporting actor nod for this? It was ONE scene. Now granted his Sidestep song is pretty great and if I was auditioning that would be the part I'd want, but still...

• Like 6

Durning for a supporting actor nod for this? It was ONE scene. Now granted his Sidestep song is pretty great and if I was auditioning that would be the part I'd want, but still...

But dude ... he fucking murdered that scene.

Plus, he's in Thorpe's giant painting during "the corset and shoulder pad scene." So ... two-ish scenes, really.

• Like 7

I can think of one person who would love a Christmas with soft candies (like licorice allsorts).

Ugh! Don't get him started. If I have to sit here and listen to Cam B talk about and post pictures of licorice again, I'm going to fucking puke. "Look at me! I live in Japan, I'm super nice, and I love candy that tastes like Satan's butthole...."

• Like 6

Here is Charles Durning being up for the Oscar, losing to Louis Gossett Jr. for "An Officer and a Gentleman".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr94It4rrzg

My tablet was taking awhile to load and froze at "losing to Louis Gossett Jr for" and my mind wanted to fill in "Iron Eagle?!?"

ETA: Do you want to be added to the rotation, Slide? We'd be glad to have you :)

• Like 4

Here is Charles Durning being up for the Oscar, losing to Louis Gossett Jr. for "An Officer and a Gentleman".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr94It4rrzg

First of all Susan Sarandon hasn't aged a day

Second of all, Charles Durning hasn't aged a day

third that "drag race" joke...ugh...

But dude ... he fucking murdered that scene.

Plus, he's in Thorpe's giant painting during "the corset and shoulder pad scene." So ... two-ish scenes, really.

yeah he's great in that scene and that is the role I'd want for sure. It's the Judi Dench in Shakespeare In Love thing...great actor, great role, do you reward them for little screen time?

• Like 6

Ugh! Don't get him started. If I have to sit here and listen to Cam B talk about and post pictures of licorice again, I'm going to fucking puke. "Look at me! I live in Japan, I'm super nice, and I love candy that tàstes like Satan's butthole...."

Anise is such a weird flavor. I hate it in licorce, but like I like ouzo and sambuca and there is this cookie my dad and i make called peppernuts, which uses anise, that i could eat every day for the rest of my life.

• Like 4

My tablet was taking awhile to load and froze at "losing to Louis Gossett Jr for" and my mind wanted to fill in "Iron Eagle?!?"

Growing up, I ONLY knew Louis Gosset Jr from Iron Eagle

Also I swear I'm not trying to cheat my way to 200 posts here...but yet that's not stopping me from responding individually

• Like 6

Blasphemy. I like Whitney's version, but she doesn't hold a candle to Dolly. Whitney wouldn't even know about the song if Costner (if I recall correctly) didn't suggest it.

Here in the Northeast, I grew up listening to Whitney and wasn't exposed to artists like Dolly Parton very much. I blame the evil liberal media, of course. Seriously, I thought Jolene was a White Stripes song! At least this movie has inspired me to look into Dolly Parton's discography.

• Like 4