🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 171 - Miami Connection: LIVE!

Actor Chris Geere of You’re the Worst joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss the 1987 martial arts film Miami Connection. Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about the music band of ninjas, the connection to Miami, orphan beach, and much more.

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

I love that this henchman sets his look and then goes...

you know what I need... i nice loose noose to tie it all together.

IJmP5sW.jpg

• Like 4

June: "This is my kind of ninja movie."

I don't know why this didn't get more of a laugh from the crowd. It might have been one of my favorite lines from the show.

v8ToLzj.gif

• Like 7

I can't fault Y.K. Kim for inserting this film trope into his masterpiece, but can we demand that Hollywood no longer have cops or henchman test a bag of cocaine in the dead center with a knife?

u6ncOcG.jpg

I get what they are trying to communicate; they need to test if the product is pure... but does the buyer not have any concern that this bag will leak in transit? Just think of all that wasted nose candy!

In the end, I would totally respect the tester to simply cut the corner of the bag and then break out one of those potato chip clips to seal it up. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey

• Like 5

I haven't listened to this ep yet but holy shit if y'all aren't watching You're The Worst yet then WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIVES

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I watched this movie last night, half distracted by work, and vacillated between bored and dumbfounded that everyone seems to love this thing. Then, this morning, I listened to the HDTGM episode, and all of a sudden I'm a convert. This might be the first time I've ever had the experience of hating a movie when I watched it only to later realise that I actually love it. Thanks, HDTGM!

• Like 5

i'm just going to dump all of this in one post:

is jim's death scene not in the version released by drafthouse? i watched the version on youtube and it's in that and it's the best scene in the whole movie ..."piss jim .. piss .. dont die jim ... piss" .. and when the plane flies over head .. "oh no, jim's father" ... it's amazing. and in the version on youtube the hospital scene is after the credits so if you turned it off as they started you'd miss the fact that jim didn't actually die .. even though we just saw him die a slow, agonizing death ... it was perfect ... i love this movie!!!

i've never laughed so hard at a death scene (and that's saying alot after meet joe black) or at a character talking about being an orphan

i've seen lots of movies where groups of dudes go around knocking mail boxes over but i've never seen a movie where they erect one .. very badly. a gust of wind would blow it over.

and you gotta watch the doc on vice ... Y. K. Kim is basically a cult leader/guru now and the moment when Oats is given an update on Kim after plays his new song about Tae Kwon Do is as painful as watching david brent dancing

and i found this when i was looking for clips .. even kermit loves this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K87AS43z1Ow

• Like 6

I watched this movie last night, half distracted by work, and vacillated between bored and dumbfounded that everyone seems to love this thing. Then, this morning, I listened to the HDTGM episode, and all of a sudden I'm a convert. This might be the first time I've ever had the experience of hating a movie when I watched it only to later realise that I actually love it. Thanks, HDTGM!

I'm with you. I was really distracted when I watched it and actually broke it into two halves to finish it. I kind of liked what I paid attention to, but was so tuned out. I was lumping it in with low budget 80s action movies like Hard Ticket To Hawaii and Ninja Terminator. The episode is making me kind of excited to watch it again when I get the chance.

and i found this when i was looking for clips .. even kermit loves this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K87AS43z1Ow

How is Kermit's DVD collection organized? Irreversible next to Pee Wee's Big Adventure next to Audition? He has one Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie but Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning is nowhere near it.

• Like 5

I raced here to post as the episode was winding down because I thought they were going to just not talk about Uncle Song. I know they did briefly at the very end, but I don't think they did him justice.

This scene ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwL3-dMea7k

... is one of the most outstanding pieces of shitty filmmaking I've ever seen. Uncle Song is kicking ass on the dine-and-dashers out in the parking lot. CUT TO: Dragon Sound pulling up in their convertible, seeing that Uncle Song is fighting, and leaping out of the car to help. CUT TO: Uncle Song nonchalantly walking back into the restaurant, having finished off his opponents off-screen, and then a full 8 seconds later, Mark, etc, come sprinting through the door, remarking about how awesome he was to have taken care of all of those guys on his own.

One - how far away did they park the car that they could see him fighting yet didn't actually reach him until after he had already come down from the action?

Two - when Uncle Song explains that "Taekwando isn't just kicking and punching ... Taekwando is right here [the heart] and right here [the head]" ... yeah, but you beat all those guys with your kicking and punching, though, right?

Three - I LOVE LOVE LOVE how, as they are running up, you hear about three seconds of footsteps off-screen.

This is some Monty Python-level filmmaking, and I lost my mind when I saw it.

• Like 7

I love that this henchman sets his look and then goes...

you know what I need... i nice loose noose to tie it all together.

IJmP5sW.jpg

I kept calling that guy "Willem" because he reminded me of the guy from Mallrats

willem.jpg

• Like 2

Fantastic Episode!

I think it becomes clear why his brother Yashito put him in charge of the Orlando coke market when you consider all the leadership and team building skills Jeff must have acquired at the "Colorado Outward Bound School."

miami-connection-full-movie-youtube-131.jpg?w=510

http://youtu.be/noMrKQ326ew

• Like 7

Wait until Storm Shadow from G.I. Joe hears that Jason doesn't think real ninjas wear white...

Not to mention Shinobi!

• Like 2

Fantastic Episode!

I think it becomes clear why his brother Yashito put him in charge of the Orlando coke market when you consider all the leadership and team building skills Jeff must have acquired at the "Colorado Outward Bound School."

miami-connection-full-movie-youtube-131.jpg?w=510

http://youtu.be/noMrKQ326ew

God damn it Cameron that was literally the ONLY C+O I came up with. Screencapped it and everything.

Well played, sir.

• Like 3

God damn it Cameron that was literally the ONLY C+O I came up with. Screencapped it and everything.

Well played, sir.

Ha! If you have a better picture, feel free to post it. That's the best I could find online.

• Like 2

Here's one other one that I came up with (better post it now before Cameron scoops me again!)

Paul mentioned that this movie was full of Bobos - Giant Michael Phelps, Only Oates, but was I the only one who saw someone more than a little familiar in our Dragon Sound drummer?

AVgh4N4.png

• Like 9

I can't fault Y.K. Kim for inserting this film trope into his masterpiece, but can we demand that Hollywood no longer have cops or henchman test a bag of cocaine in the dead center with a knife?

u6ncOcG.jpg

I get what they are trying to communicate; they need to test if the product is pure... but does the buyer not have any concern that this bag will leak in transit? Just think of all that wasted nose candy!

In the end, I would totally respect the tester to simply cut the corner of the bag and then break out one of those potato chip clips to seal it up. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey

This could have been a great product placement opportunity for Tupperware. They could have cleaned up with the obviously untapped cocaine smuggling market with their handy resealable containers designed to keep the contents safe and fresh.

• Like 4

What I want to know is, how much money is Dragon Sound making being the house band in that club? Right before he proposes their Genealogy.com World Tour, the drummer says he never wants to play that club again because the old band jumped them and Jeff is always there. Concerned, Mark tells him he'll have to find another job otherwise "how will [he] pay for school?"

I had a band when I lived in Orlando, and like the bikers in this movie, we typically got paid in beer - which we might even be expected to pay for if we drank more than our allotment.* How are these chucklefucks making enough money playing at one club (even if it's the "hottest" in all of Orlando) to put all of them through college? Follow up question: how much money is that club pulling that it can afford to pay their house band that much? No wonder those bearded yacht rockers were so pissed off that they got fired.

*Although, to be fair, we only did one or two songs about being friends for eternity or Tae Kwon Do so maybe that was our problem - we just didn't know our market...

• Like 6

I had a band when I lived in Orlando, and like the bikers in this movie, we typically got paid in beer - which we might even have to pay for if we drank more than our allotment. How are these chucklefucks making enough to put all of them through college? Although, to be fair, we only did one or two songs about being friends for eternity or Tae Kwon Do so maybe that was our problem - we just didn't know our market...

How many boards did you guys break at each gig?

Moral: Break more boards, tour to Israel, Ireland and Italy.

• Like 7

How many boards did you guys break at each gig?

Moral: Break more boards, tour to Israel, Ireland and Italy.

Hindsight is always 20/20

What I want to know is, how much money is Dragon Sound making being the house band in that club? Right before he proposes their Genealogy.com World Tour, the drummer says he never wants to play that club again because the old band jumped them and Jeff is always there. Concerned, Mark tells him he'll have to find another job otherwise "how will [he] pay for school?"

I had a band when I lived in Orlando, and like the bikers in this movie, we typically got paid in beer - which we might even have to pay for if we drank more than our allotment. How are these chucklefucks making enough to put all of them through college? Although, to be fair, we only did one or two songs about being friends for eternity or Tae Kwon Do so maybe that was our problem - we just didn't know our market...

They were barely breaking even, I think. Before taking Jim suit shopping, the guys said they had $200, $60, and $50, respectively.

• Like 6

So much to say about this movie. Great episode by the way. Dueling monologues was great.

There is a lot to unpack but the first thing I want to say is that the bad guy "Yashito" is not Japanese. Based on the actor's name I believe he's Korean, but it's not even that. It's his name. Yashito isn't a Japanese name. It's close to Yoshida or Yamato but it's not a last name for sure. Now there is some off chance that his parent's were very creative and made a unique name for him, but as far as I know Yashito is not a name at all.

Which brings me to my theory. Yashito was orphaned from a young age. He was left as a baby in a basket at some fire station. Jeff and Jane's parent's heard about this and decided to adopt him. They asked of what ethnicity he was. None of the firemen knowing for sure and one just said "Japanese?" and the parent's ran with it. Being not familiar with Japanese names they randomly thought of a named that sounded Japanese and went with, Yashito. He grew up with Jeff and Jane but at a certain point in his life, let's say high school, he got really into his background. Embracing the fact that he is "Japanese" he goes about trying to embrace his heritage by becoming very American stereotypical Japanese. That's why he build a house that seems vaguely Japanese but not at all. That's why he trains to be a ninja, even though they don't really do ninjitsu but got the whole sneaking around part down. That's why he dresses in kimonos causally when not biking. Basically he became insufferable in his faux Japanese-ness and that's what caused a riff between him and Jane.

• Like 7

So much to say about this movie. Great episode by the way. Dueling monologues was great.

There is a lot to unpack but the first thing I want to say is that the bad guy "Yashito" is not Japanese. Based on the actor's name I believe he's Korean, but it's not even that. It's his name. Yashito isn't a Japanese name. It's close to Yoshida or Yamato but it's not a last name for sure. Now there is some off chance that his parent's were very creative and made a unique name for him, but as far as I know Yashito is not a name at all.

Which brings me to my theory. Yashito was orphaned from a young age. He was left as a baby in a basket at some fire station. Jeff and Jane's parent's heard about this and decided to adopt him. They asked of what ethnicity he was. None of the firemen knowing for sure and one just said "Japanese?" and the parent's ran with it. Being not familiar with Japanese names they randomly thought of a named that sounded Japanese and went with, Yashito. He grew up with Jeff and Jane but at a certain point in his life, let's say high school, he got really into his background. Embracing the fact that he is "Japanese" he goes about trying to embrace his heritage by becoming very American stereotypical Japanese. That's why he build a house that seems vaguely Japanese but not at all. That's why he trains to be a ninja, even though they don't really do ninjitsu but got the whole sneaking around part down. That's why he dresses in kimonos causally when not biking. Basically he became insufferable in his faux Japanese-ness and that's what caused a riff between him and Jane.

Wait, so he also developed an Asian accent?

• Like 3