🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 20 (CakeBug Tranch's 2nd Pick)

The image posted in Kate's quote!

GOD DAMN IT MY EXCELLENT JOKE WAS RUINED. THANKS EARWOLF.

Trying again...

No, the movie I've picked that pairs two superstars for the behind the scenes look at a seedy industry is, of course...

guysmar10.jpg

I was about to respond to tom, but saw you revealed your pick!

I don't think I've seen before but I'm familiar with some of the songs.

What came to mind when you said 2 superstars and seedy industry was Moulin Rouge (which I know you like and have mentioned possibly giving the MM treatment) or La La Land came to mind... and even Chicago..?

2 stars and seedy industry can be taken a bunch of ways, so I figured I was off.

But thought Moulin Rouge could be a good guess.

But nice pick ! Looking forward to it!

• Like 6

I was about to respond to tom, but saw you revealed your pick!

I don't think I've seen before but I'm familiar with some of the songs.

What came to mind when you said 2 superstars and seedy industry was Moulin Rouge (which I know you like and have mentioned possibly giving the MM treatment) or La La Land came to mind... and even Chicago..?

2 stars and seedy industry can be taken a bunch of ways, so I figured I was off.

But thought Moulin Rouge could be a good guess.

Nice pick ! Looking forward to it.

Given "seedy" industry, the original GIF and Across the Universe, I thought it would be some verson of Strawberry Fields Forever.

• Like 4

How available does the movie need to be? For instance, one movie I want to pick is only on Amazon Prime currently so I wouldn't pick that one. Not going to require everyone to sign up for Prime just to watch a pick.

• Like 3

How available does the movie need to be? For instance, one movie I want to pick is only on Amazon Prime currently so I wouldn't pick that one. Not going to require everyone to sign up for Prime just to watch a pick.

As long as it's rentable. I don't mind paying a couple of bucks. I just don't want to have to purchase any discs! I'm trying to purge them from my life!

• Like 4

If it's on Amazon Prime, surely it's available for rent as well?

• Like 3

If it's on Amazon Prime, surely it's available for rent as well?

I was hoping but sadly, no.

• Like 3

Oh I've been wanting to watch this recently! Somehow I got the song Fugue For Tinhorns stuck in my head recently so this will help out. Or just burrow it deeper into my brain, either/or.

I think I'm done with my crazy schedule for the summer, so I'm free and clear until the holidays (fingers crossed). Happy that I get to jump back in on this one!

• Like 5

I was hoping but sadly, no.

Hmm, then you're right, it might be difficult for people without Amazon Prime.

• Like 2

Oh I've been wanting to watch this recently! Somehow I got the song Fugue For Tinhorns stuck in my head recently so this will help out. Or just burrow it deeper into my brain, either/or.

I think I'm done with my crazy schedule for the summer, so I'm free and clear until the holidays (fingers crossed). Happy that I get to jump back in on this one!

Have you been listening to a lot of My Brother, My Brother, and Me and Lin Manuel Miranda?

https://player.fm/series/maxfun-bonus-materials/ghost-horse-fugue-for-brotherhorns-my-brother-my-brother-and-me-maxfundrive-2015

• Like 3

Curse you CakeBug!!!! This was on my shortlist of picks for my week!

Excellent choice. Should be fun for all. Fun fact, I had my nose broken while starring in a production of Guys and Dolls.

• Like 2

This was on my shortlist as well. I'm so excited to discuss this.

Also, I may have umm pirated Krush Groove

But I totally rented and paid actual money for Best Whorehouse.

Also I'm a Prime member

• Like 4

I'm glad people seem so down for Guys and Dolls! I have played Nathan Detroit and Benny Southstreet as a younger man, so I will brook no nonsense from anyone who suggests this isn't pure genius. So, forewarned!

• Like 4

I'm glad people seem so down for Guys and Dolls! I have played Nathan Detroit and Benny Southstreet as a younger man, so I will brook no nonsense from anyone who suggests this isn't pure genius. So, forewarned!

When I was in Guys and Dolls they gave all copies of a Broadway recording to listen to and practice the songs. In that recording Nathan Detroit was Nathan Lane and Benny Southstreet was JK Simmons.

• Like 3

I'm probably spoiling some of the discussion for next week, but man, I wish I could have seen the mid 2000s Broadway cast with Lauren Graham and Oliver Platt.

• Like 4

Never seen Guys and Dolls ... most of my knowledge comes from that one Simpson's episode featuring "Luke Be a Jedi Tonight."

But forgive me, I'm confused ... did I miss the discussion of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes? I thought that was next ...

• Like 3

But forgive me, I'm confused ... did I miss the discussion of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes? I thought that was next ...

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was the movie before Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. The discussion thread is here. I don't think anyone would mind if you continued the discussion.

• Like 3

I'm probably spoiling some of the discussion for next week, but man, I wish I could have seen the mid 2000s Broadway cast with Lauren Graham and Oliver Platt.

Lauren "Lorelai Gilmore" Graham? I don't know anything about Guys And Dolls but I wish I could have seen this.

• Like 1

Lauren "Lorelai Gilmore" Graham? I don't know anything about Guys And Dolls but I wish I could have seen this.

Yup! There are a few clips on YouTube grainy cell phone clips if you're curious

• Like 1

Never seen Guys and Dolls ... most of my knowledge comes from that one Simpson's episode featuring "Luke Be a Jedi Tonight."

I don't know anything about Guys And Dolls but I wish I could have seen this.

YOU GUYS ARE IN FOR A TREAT! Frank and Marlon! Anxiously planning a craps game! Ruthlessly betting over the emotions of Christians! Commitment phobia! Technicolor gangsters!

What's playin' at the Roxy? I'll tell ya what's playin' at the Roxy...

I'm very excited.

• Like 7

YOU GUYS ARE IN FOR A TREAT! Frank and Marlon! Anxiously planning a craps game! Ruthlessly betting over the emotions of Christians! Commitment phobia! Technicolor gangsters!

What's playin' at the Roxy? I'll tell ya what's playin' at the Roxy...

I'm very excited.

I've got the horse right here, and it says that Guys and Dolls is indeed a treat.

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie but I know the show has lot of fun numbers, and some catchy mind wormy songs. You'll love it a bushel and a peck.

EvR - who did Lauren Graham play? Sister Sarah?

• Like 3

Curse you CakeBug!!!! This was on my shortlist of picks for my week!

Excellent choice. Should be fun for all. Fun fact, I had my nose broken while starring in a production of Guys and Dolls.

Is that why you wear those funny glasses with the fake nose?

• Like 2

EvR - who did Lauren Graham play? Sister Sarah?

Adelaide

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 2