đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
IRONicmerMAN

Mom and Dad (2017)

I admittedly haven't seen this, and considering it has a respectable IMDB score, it may not be a good recommendation. However, consider what's included.

1. It's written, directed and produced by Brian Taylor. If that doesn't ring a bell...think Neveldine/Taylor. Still nothing? Crank, Crank 2, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

2. Sir Nicolas Cage.

3. "A teenage girl and her little brother must survive a wild 24 hours during which a mass hysteria of unknown origins causes parents to turn violently on their own kids." Cage is one of said parents.

I think this could be one of the "this is so crazy how did this get made" entries to keep an eye on. A watchable, totally bonkers Cage flick? Yes, please! Maybe Paul can get his friend Nic to be the guest host.

"...and will no doubt delight Nicolas Cage fans, who’ll get to see their hero totally unleashed in a vehicle that’s as lovably mad as its star."

http://www.joblo.com...tiff-review-266

Good reviews or IMDB score should never stop them from doing a crazy movie. Otherwise we'll never see them cover Bad Lieutenant, and that'd be a goddamn shame.

• Like 1

I saw this tonight, and I would 100% be down for a "Thank God This Got Made" episode because Jason would lose his fucking mind over this movie. I'm not huge on the over-the-top Cage, but it works in this movie.....as much as anything about a movie where parents murder their children works.

• Like 3

With incredible performances from its two leads, a solid 73% on Rotten Tomatoes, and directed by Brian Taylor of Neveldine/Taylor fame, Mom and Dad would be a great movie to discuss for how insanely crazy and entertaining it is. It's basically a mix of The Happening, The Signal, and Cooties, the movie is well balanced between visceral violence, primarily against teens and young kids, and dark comedy. Nic Cage is in prime form here as a dad suffering a mid-life crisis at the time of the carnage starting, and has Selma Blair who plays the perfect foil to his craziness. Cage actually puts on a great performance that makes you remember that he's an Oscar winning actor, especially during a monologue where he laments how he hates the adult he's become and how he fears it will only get worse for him.

• Like 1

I saw this tonight, and I would 100% be down for a "Thank God This Got Made" episode because Jason would lose his fucking mind over this movie. I'm not huge on the over-the-top Cage, but it works in this movie.....as much as anything about a movie where parents murder their children works.

It was over-the-top Cage but it was what was expected in the situation, unlike in other recent Cage flicks where it's just because he feels like it. I liked that it still had a Crank-ish feel to the cutaways but was handled in a grounded manner as much as could be done with a plot like this. Watching Cage and Blair at one point try and gas their children to literally stopping to wave at their neighbors or worry about the in-laws showing up for dinner worked so perfectly and made it that much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

It was over-the-top Cage but it was what was expected in the situation, unlike in other recent Cage flicks where it's just because he feels like it. I liked that it still had a Crank-ish feel to the cutaways but was handled in a grounded manner as much as could be done with a plot like this. Watching Cage and Blair at one point try and gas their children to literally stopping to wave at their neighbors or worry about the in-laws showing up for dinner worked so perfectly and made it that much more enjoyable.

The freakout at the basement door was probably the most well-earned Cage freakout ever. I completely died laughing.

Literally the only problem I had with the movie was

that they gave away Lance Henriksen's appearance in the opening credits. He's so fucking perfect for that role, but knowing he was in the movie gave everything away as soon as they first mentioned that Cage's parents were coming over for dinner. It was still fun when it happened, but it would have been a totally amazing surprise to have been blindsided by Henriksen.

The freakout at the basement door was probably the most well-earned Cage freakout ever. I completely died laughing.

Literally the only problem I had with the movie was

that they gave away Lance Henriksen's appearance in the opening credits. He's so fucking perfect for that role, but knowing he was in the movie gave everything away as soon as they first mentioned that Cage's parents were coming over for dinner. It was still fun when it happened, but it would have been a totally amazing surprise to have been blindsided by Henriksen.

Yeah that was a big bummer. I also think there was a bit of an error with the cop at the high school who was keeping the parents out of the school,

once he fights off one mom who is attacking her kid, he basically beats her to a pulp and gets covered in her blood and starts screaming and acting agitated, making me think the disease or whatever it was had spread to him. It was never mentioned again but just seemed out of place in an already insane movie, but then I remembered who the director was and just chalked it up to his usual craziness.

• Like 1

Watched this last night and enjoyed it, the scoring and soundtrack choices especially in the first half were so crazy that they were starting to make me feel insane which I think was his intention so bravo.

• Like 2

I just want to bump this. This is a very well-made film with something to offend everyone. It would be the perfect HDTGM movie in so many ways because it’s so shamelessly over the top 

The premise of this pitch-Black comedy/thriller—if you haven’t heard it yet—is that parents are triggered to try to murder their own children when exposed to an auditory tone broadcast over airwaves. The film focuses primarily on one family who has to deal with this crisis. The parents are Nicolas Cage, who’s a lot of fun, and Selma Blair, who is FUCKING AWESOME in this movie. The emotional transformations her character goes through happen very quickly and she pulls them off flawlessly. And she and Cage have good chemistry. 

It’s kind of a one joke premise, but the movie moves like gangbusters and it frequently is a very funny satire of suburbia and mid-life crises. It also takes more time building the characters than you might expect. Good fun trash!

• Like 1

PLEASE review this movie or at least watch it! It is Nicholas Cage at his best in that I have suspicions that it might be a little bit of a documentary....

• Like 1