🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 043: Tomorrow Never Dies with Alex Schmidt

Tomorrow Never Dies again! Will Matt finally agree with Matt or will Matt convince Matt that Matt is right? Cracked's Alex Schmidt drops by to help us settle the debate.

The Matts mentioned all the actor/actress cross-overs between Bond and GoT and other franchises, but I don't think they mentioned that Geoffrey Palmer and Judy Dench starred opposite each other in As Time Goes By, the old British sitcom (although it was still on the air when TND was shot).

887060_as_time_goes_by.jpg

And folks, if you think Palmer was Britishy in TND, just watch this show ... he's the most British man alive, which is kind of the show's entire premise.

This is one of my least-favorite movies I've ever seen in the theater, so I'm definitely Team Gourley on this one. Fun ep as always.

The Matts mentioned all the actor/actress cross-overs between Bond and GoT and other franchises, but I don't think they mentioned that Geoffrey Palmer and Judy Dench starred opposite each other in As Time Goes By, the old British sitcom (although it was still on the air when TND was shot).

They did talk quite a bit about this in the old radio programme of this film, don't you know.

• Like 1

This movie encapsulates a lot of what I, an old, remember from the '90s:

* Michelle Yeoh. Still love her, always will.

* Western filmmakers trying (and failing) to ape the Hong Kong film scene of the time (See Below).

* Goldeneye, the video game. The climactic scene in this movie is essentially a first person shooter level.

* Sheryl Crow. The theme is not my favorite, but it sure feels like college to me.

* Great character actors showing up in thankless, disposable parts.

* Techno music. I actually really like David Arnold's score for this movie, and its definitely a step up from the Eric Serra music for Goldeneye.

* Titanic. I saw this movie instead of it; still haven't seen Titanic.

I think part of the weird tonal shifts Matt (G) complains of are definitely something that also seemed in vogue at the time. Hong Kong action films of the era famously put scenes of melodramatic tragedy up against scenes of base slapstick, so maybe that's what somebody was trying to do here. Lacking the charm and earnestness of those HK productions, though, it just lurches around like a Frankenstein.

That said, I still really like the motorcycle chase.

• Like 1

I lived a few doors away from Jonathan Pryce during the 1980s and can boast about witnessing a Bond villain admonishing his son (probably stole the wrong nuclear device). For this reason alone I give TND 002 extra points.

• Like 2

I love Tomorrow Never Dies. I think it's equally as good as GoldenEye and in some aspects it's superior. I'd give it a 006 or 006.5.

Sign in to follow this