🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 21 (Cam Bert's 2nd Pick)

So I thought of a few options. I wanted to pick something that maybe a lot of people are unfamiliar with. From there I decided to pick a movie musical that sort of embraces all aspects of Musical Mondays. It's a hodgepodge of all the things we've done. The 1920s of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the gangsters of Guys and Dolls, the youth of High School Musical, the family friendliness of Pete's Dragon and An American Tail, the lounge act of The Lure and the Paul Williams of the Phantom of the Paradise. I present to you,

4342448b60c79302f1b85444aa3b6182--bugsy-malone-jodie-foster.jpg

Alan Parker's Bugsy Malone!

The prohibition gangster musical starring all children under the age of 16 with music by the one and only Paul Williams. Starring Charles himself Scott Baio and a hot off of Taxi Driver Jodie Foster!

Now, based on what I could find this movie isn't currently streaming in America anywhere. I could be wrong though. It is available for rent or to buy on iTunes. If times are tough and you can't afford the rental there is a full version on YouTube but the quality is not too great.

• Like 10

I actually couldn’t find this anywhere but YouTube. I only watched a couple seconds, but it doesn’t look too bad

• Like 1

I looked at some sight and it said it was available on iTunes, but I guess you can't believe everything you read online. I hope the YouTube version is good enough for all.

• Like 1

Is it free on Youtube? Cause I kinda don't wanna even have Scott Baio think he's gonna get some residuals off of me lol.

• Like 5

Is it free on Youtube? Cause I kinda don't wanna even have Scott Baio think he's gonna get some residuals off of me lol.

Ha! I did think about that being a problem. I totally get that but this is a younger and more innocent time (i.e. yes, free version on YouTube)

• Like 3

Ha! I did think about that being a problem. I totally get that but this is a younger and more innocent time (i.e. yes, free version on YouTube)

The first credit is from The Rank Organization. Foreshadowing/comment on the movie's quality? Was Rank their generation's Cannon Films? ;)

• Like 3

Oh lord, what's he done now.

• Like 6

The first credit is from The Rank Organization. Foreshadowing/comment on the movie's quality? Was Rank their generation's Cannon Films? ;)

I'm going from memory here. So, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Rank Organization was British and seemed really big from the 1940s to 1960s. If you've seen a lot of British films from this period, you've probably seen a guy hitting a gong preceding the movie; that's them. They've put out a ton of great movies, too. Powell and Pressburger put out a bunch of stuff through them. David Lean put out some movies with them. Like most studios (are they technically a studio?), I'm sure they put out some crap but it's not like the Cannon Films reputation.

I don't know anything about Bugsy, but I assume it's an American film. So, I'm not sure I've heard of The Rank Organization funding an American movie before.

• Like 4

I was listening to the episode for The Last Dragon this morning. They questioned what was in the tank in the one guy's living room. They mentioned something akin to a cannibalistic mermaid. Silver and Golden's mother perhaps?

• Like 4

I'm going from memory here. So, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Rank Organization was British and seemed really big from the 1940s to 1960s. If you've seen a lot of British films from this period, you've probably seen a guy hitting a gong preceding the movie; that's them. They've put out a ton of great movies, too. Powell and Pressburger put out a bunch of stuff through them. David Lean put out some movies with them. Like most studios (are they technically a studio?), I'm sure they put out some crap but it's not like the Cannon Films reputation.

I don't know anything about Bugsy, but I assume it's an American film. So, I'm not sure I've heard of The Rank Organization funding an American movie before.

I have heard of them but didn't know the gong was their symbol. I had heard of J. Arthur Rank but only because of my dad's love for old-time radio. I just saw this tidbit in his bio on IMDB:

Lord 'J. Arthur Rank' was the millionaire flour miller and devout methodist who got into films to spread the gospel. When some early films that he was involved with didn't get a very good circulation he realised that control of the movie theatres was the key to success. He quickly established the Odeon chain of cinemas, started by Oscar Deutsch (ODEON was an acronym for "Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation"). With builder Charles Boot he bought the grounds of an old Victorian house (Heatherden Hall) in Hertfordshire and turned it into Pinewood Studios.

I knew of Odeon Theatres from going to Toronto a lot but starting Pinewood Studios? That's really impressive.

• Like 1

Oh lord, what's he done now.

Oh it still has to do with how much of a 45 supporter he is. I don't need my hard earned money to go to that dummy.

• Like 9

Oh it still has to do with how much of a 45 supporter he is. I don't need my hard earned money to go to that dummy.

Gotcha. I thought maybe he did/said something stupid recently.

• Like 5

So I thought of a few options. I wanted to pick something that maybe a lot of people are unfamiliar with. From there I decided to pick a movie musical that sort of embraces all aspects of Musical Mondays. It's a hodgepodge of all the things we've done. The 1920s of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the gangsters of Guys and Dolls, the youth of High School Musical, the family friendliness of Pete's Dragon and An American Tail, the lounge act of The Lure and the Paul Williams of the Phantom of the Paradise. I present to you,

Where are the beans??

(It's the musical fruit, you know)

• Like 6

I have NEVER heard of this movie before. I'm excited to look into this.

Also I had the same thought about The Last Dragon being a prequel to The Lure.

• Like 5

Where are the beans??

(It's the musical fruit, you know)

I think there is a scene when they eat beans or a stew... wait... The sloppy mess of Tommy!

In Bugsy Malone they don't shoot each other they whip cream pie each other. Slightly easier to handle than that gif that shall not be posted.

• Like 4

I think there is a scene when they eat beans or a stew... wait... The sloppy mess of Tommy!

In Bugsy Malone they don't shoot each other they whip cream pie each other. Slightly easier to handle than that gif that shall not be posted.

How about a still image?

rs-114889-d9a0ca5aff7a5cfb45ddc19250e1f37d8e6f617d.jpg

• Like 1

Are there any other "kid" musicals, i.e. musicals done by kids pretending to be adults?

Are there any other "kid" musicals, i.e. musicals done by kids pretending to be adults?

Outside of high school productions, I think this is the only one. It's like "The Terror of Tiny Town" only not as offensive.

• Like 2