Episode 044: James Bond: By The Numbers with FiveThirtyEight's Walt Hickey

9 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:29 AM

FiveThirtyEight's Walt Hickey drops by with more James Bond numbers than you can possibly handle. Everything from villains to gadgets are ranked and discussed!
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

This was a lot of fun, but I don't understand why they would do a two-hour episode of Bond rankings and not discuss some of the most obvious categories, i.e. best movie, best Bond, best Bond Girl.

#3 Dan Engler

Ombudsman

• Administrators
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostKickpuncher, on 03 October 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

This was a lot of fun, but I don't understand why they would do a two-hour episode of Bond rankings and not discuss some of the most obvious categories, i.e. best movie, best Bond, best Bond Girl.

They have 26 non-movie episodes (plus Stitcher Premium exclusives) to fill during their year-long contract, so they might be planning a Part II. Hell, Walt's data is evergreen, so they could have recorded it immediately after this one.
Disclaimer: I am not an Earwolf employee. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of Midroll Media LLC.

#4 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

Makes sense, but it seems like they would have just said so if that was the plan.

#5 IonFlayming

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationJamaica

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Loved this episode, but yeah, they should have done the Bond film rankings and that. For sure GoldenEye and Skyfall are gonna come way high (higher than they deserve), but heh.

Also, FiveThirtyEight just seems like a generic news site? I search for "James Bond" and nothing relevant comes up.
I say!

#6 RealShabby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

Does anyone know what the email is to contact "S"?

#7 Dan Engler

Ombudsman

• Administrators
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostIonFlayming, on 04 October 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

Also, FiveThirtyEight just seems like a generic news site? I search for "James Bond" and nothing relevant comes up.

Looks like the surveys used on this episode were conducted via Walt's site back in 2015. Those surveys don't include any of the categories Kickpuncher mentioned, however, so I guess I was wrong about a follow-up episode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View PostRealShabby, on 04 October 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Does anyone know what the email is to contact "S"?

I believe she's checking the main show account.
Disclaimer: I am not an Earwolf employee. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of Midroll Media LLC.

#8 DoctorNope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:19 AM

A few of us have been working on our own version o this project. See the infographic: https://infogram.com...1gk92ejlxv1vp16

The survey is at the bottom. Grade the movie elements, and I'll update the infographic.

#9 DoctorNope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:19 AM

View PostDoctorNope, on 05 October 2017 - 03:19 AM, said:

A few of us have been working on our own version o this project. See the infographic: https://infogram.com...1gk92ejlxv1vp16

The survey is at the bottom. Grade the movie elements, and I'll update the infographic.

Or you can go directly to the survey here: https://uwgreenbay.q...d72Aea6uiOILOp7

#10 FFNogoodnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

As a fan of Quantum of Solace I do not think Mr. Hickey did a good job with the plot.

The plot of QoS was not "Bond stops a plan to acquire all of Bolivia's water and install a dictator"

The plot of Quantum of Solace was "Upon becoming aware of the Quantum Organization Bond must determine who is involved in the group and find out how they work "