🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 172.5 - Minisode 172.5

Is this their first Denzel movie?

I believe so, which now opens them up to movies like Ricochet, Heart Condition, and Bone Collector.

• Like 1

I believe so, which now opens them up to movies like Ricochet, Heart Condition, and Bone Collector.

As well as his very first major role in a film, 1981's Carbon Copy, playing the long-lost son of George Segal's character.

• Like 2

Or "John Q.," where Denzel takes an ER hostage so they'll operate on his under-insured son.

Or "John Q.," where Denzel takes an ER hostage so they'll operate on his under-insured son.

You just reminded me that for some reason my (required) Consumer Ed class in high school watched this movie as part of our curriculum. That and the Tom Hanks movie Money Pit.

• Like 2

You just reminded me that for some reason my (required) Consumer Ed class in high school watched this movie as part of our curriculum. That and the Tom Hanks movie Money Pit.

When I was at school watching a film wasn't part of the curriculum, it just meant the teacher had a hangover

• Like 7

FYI Ron Perlman was just on The Nerdist podcast and gives a HUGE insight on what it was like to work with Marlon Brando on The Island of Dr. Moreau

• Like 7

FYI Ron Perlman was just on The Nerdist podcast and gives a HUGE insight on what it was like to work with Marlon Brando on The Island of Dr. Moreau

His whole book is full of fantastic insights like that, from his early days to working with Guillermo del Toro. Also F-bombs. I recommend it to anyone who like movies enough that they are posting on these forums.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Thanks for this. I needed a reason to live after Rosa and Pimento broke up last night.

tumblr_oxn3o1OAkc1rntxqeo3_500.gif

• Like 4

Quick question: Virtuosity - is it worth watching?

I'm kind of happy doing my October Halloween "horror" movie month thing, and I'm kind of not feeling this one right now simply because it's interrupting my flow. Tomorrow morning will probably be my last chance to watch it before the episode drops. Thoughts?

Should I watch this or Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2?

• Like 1

I'm kind of happy doing my October Halloween "horror" movie month thing, and I'm kind of not feeling this one right now simply because it's interrupting my flow. Tomorrow morning will probably be my last chance to watch it before the episode drops. Thought?

This is tough. I'm leaning towards TCM2 only because I recently watched the original for the first time ever and I'm curious about the sequel.

• Like 2

Thanks for this. I needed a reason to live after Rosa and Pimento broke up last night.

I reacted to the break up with less decorum than Pimento. It was so sudden! It was like they quickly needed to write Zooks out of the show for some reason. Complete about face on the relationship even in the episode.

I'm kind of happy doing my October Halloween "horror" movie month thing, and I'm kind of not feeling this one right now simply because it's interrupting my flow. Tomorrow morning will probably be my last chance to watch it before the episode drops. Thoughts?

I dunno. Virtuosity has all the trivializing of sexual assault of Face/Off plus the... nuanced commentary on the role of technology of Lawnmower Man, all wrapped up in the least likable performances I've ever seen from its two leads (this includes Romper Stomper, in which Russell Crowe plays a psychotic skinhead).

So Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, in which Tobe Hooper burns all bridges and says "fuck you" to a studio attempting to make TCM a franchise, is my recommendation.

• Like 4

If you were just looking for a movie to kill an evening, there are thousands of better choices, but this really is the kind of movie that makes for golden HDTGM episodes and board threads. It's a mainstream, multimillion dollar flick that features a few big names and several "that guys" and "whats-her-names" that is completely insane and stupid. It's set in the future yet is a total 90s case study, from the fashion to the music to the CGI. But somehow, it also touches upon themes and commentary that are still relevant ... not in any meaningful way, just to forward the nonsense plot. This is Denzel's Timecop moment.

Edited to add: Having just rewatched it, I'll say -- watch the first hour or so. The end is rather infuriating. You'll still have time for chainsaws.

• Like 3

I love the batshit insanity of Virtousity, but I can't really recommend it. It's like whenever I try and recommend The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (which, why hasn't THAT been done yet?) or Hudson Hawk. I LOVE them but yanno...

• Like 3

tenor.gif

• Like 3

Which did you decide?

I just rewatched Virtuosity and kinda wish I had rewatched Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

• Like 2

Which did you decide?

I just rewatched Virtuosity and kinda wish I had rewatched Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

This morning, I decided to feed and change my son and go back to sleep ;)

• Like 1

i usually watch the movie of the week on a saturday night but this week i didn't have time. but i did finally watch grease 2 on sunday and to be honest ... i had fun watching it. and june's enthusiasm for it made me smile all day after listening to the episode. so i've been putting off watching virtuosity all week, mainly because i knew i'd have time today to watch a movie ... but i went to blade runner 2049 instead and i think it might have been one of the best decisions i've ever made. i f**king loved it. it's amazing. why has it bombed at the box office??? if people don't go to see this and it loses as much money as looks likely then every other sci-fi movie in the works is going to be shelved and that would make me cry .. it's worth seeing just for Sylvia Hoeks alone. she blew me away. there's one moment and she ... no. i wont even hint at it. if you like sci-fi and you have some spare cash and time. then spoil yourself. i don't think we'll see one like it for a long time.... think i might put virtuosity off for a few days ...

• Like 5

i usually watch the movie of the week on a saturday night but this week i didn't have time. but i did finally watch grease 2 on sunday and to be honest ... i had fun watching it. and june's enthusiasm for it made me smile all day after listening to the episode. so i've been putting off watching virtuosity all week, mainly because i knew i'd have time today to watch a movie ... but i went to blade runner 2049 instead and i think it might have been one of the best decisions i've ever made. i f**king loved it. it's amazing. why has it bombed at the box office??? if people don't go to see this and it loses as much money as looks likely then every other sci-fi movie in the works is going to be shelved and that would make me cry .. it's worth seeing just for Sylvia Hoeks alone. she blew me away. there's one moment and she ... no. i wont even hint at it. if you like sci-fi and you have some spare cash and time. then spoil yourself. i don't think we'll see one like it for a long time.... think i might put virtuosity off for a few days ...

Glad to hear some praise for BR2049 for once ... I loved the original and hoped the new one wouldn't be trash. Might go soon.

• Like 1

Glad to hear some praise for BR2049 for once ... I loved the original and hoped the new one wouldn't be trash. Might go soon.

I'll agree with firsttimecaller. It's a really great science fiction movie and Denis Villenueve is cementing himself as one of my favorite newish directors. I have some minor quibbles but overall it's worth checking out for fans of science fiction or the original.

I have to admit I don't know what firsttimecaller is talking about with Sylvia Hoeks though. She only had one scene that left any real impression on me and it was a plot moment not necessarily her. I don't think she was bad by any means but the person who really blew me away was Ana De Armas.

I have to admit I don't know what firsttimecaller is talking about with Sylvia Hoeks though. She only had one scene that left any real impression on me and it was a plot moment not necessarily her. I don't think she was bad by any means but the person who really blew me away was Ana De Armas.

I thought Hoeks nailed the

antagonist role. She was kick ass.

There was something about the physicality of her performance ... I thought she was brilliant. The control she has over her expressions is incredible.

Luv reminded me alot of Robert Patrick's T-1000. She was relentless. I really enjoy those kind of characters. Kinda like Statham in Fast 7. And the scene I was referring to involved Robin Wright. She was frightening in that .. I won't say anymore

De Armas' performance was very good but the Joi character was ... hmmm ...

There are a few who have criticized the movie as sexist, with most of the complaints about Joi. Maybe some of them have a point (a certain scene has definitely divided opinions) but when you look around at some of the stuff available today ... she might actually be one of the few things to become a reality from this science fiction world. She's basically a more advanced version of Lars' real girl ... But again, De Armas was very good. Actually, looking back, I think the female characters/performances where the best part about this movie

And i just got a massive sense of deja vu ... that's weird ...

tumblr_mmsvus5N1U1sp0gj9o1_500.gif

i hate that

There was something about the physicality of her performance ... I thought she was brilliant. The control she has over her expressions is incredible.

Luv reminded me alot of Robert Patrick's T-1000. She was relentless. I really enjoy those kind of characters. Kinda like Statham in Fast 7. And the scene I was referring to involved Robin Wright. She was frightening in that .. I won't say anymore

There are a few who have criticized the movie as sexist, with most of the complaints about Joi. Maybe some of them have a point (a certain scene has definitely divided opinions) but when you look around at some of the stuff available today ... she might actually be one of the few things to become a reality from this science fiction world. She's basically a more advanced version of Lars' real girl ... But again, De Armas was very good. Actually, looking back, I think the female characters/performances where the best part about this movie

i hate that

I'm probably going to watch Blade Runner 2049 again some time soon. I'll have to keep your thoughts in mind when I do.

I can understand the criticisms of Ana De Armas' character but I can't blame that on her.

I just saw this movie on blu ray at JB Hifi and it sounds like something that absolutely didn’t need to be released on the format.

i hate that

So, Hoek -

I thought she was very good. I was disappointed though that the relationship between K and the antagonists lacked depth. The original rogue replicants had a motivation and a lot of sympathy from the audience, while Hoek was unfortunately just a henchperson doing the bidding of her evil employer. What she did, though, she did well

Joi -

I am minded to give Villeneuve a pass on this. Joi was built to be nothing more than a submissive, sexually available entity for the satisfaction of a heterosexual male. But the film is depicting this, not endorsing it. The whole universe of Blade Runner takes it as read that artificial beings have their own thoughts and feelings and deserve to be respected as humans should be, but are not, and it is a tragedy that they are cruelly used by humans. They are slaves. And even when they murder humans you have some sympathy doing so because they are slaves striking back at their masters. The thing about Joi is that the tragedy of replicants being built only for a limited purpose and existence exploited by others is magnified for her, as she is given even less scope to exist and act independently of that because of the way she is constructed. But even so, her relationship with K is with someone also limited in how he can live and love, but between them they make it more than that and she chooses to be more than that. The main reason she doesn't get the chance to develop any further than that - reprogrammed so that her AI enables her to be a completely independent thinking entity whatever her feelings for K? - is because she is killed by the villains. And her death is treated as respectfully by the filmmakers as the death of a human. This doubles down on the Deckard-Rachael relationship of the first film, which imho only makes sense if he is also a replicant. It also plays back the way in which society bombards us today with that version of female sexuality and confines women to that existence. Yet of course it is acknowledged that this is a gross reduction of a woman's existence. For me the film is giving that message loud and clear (in Blade Runner terms anyway, as much is not explicitly spelled out) in the way K and Joi relate to each other and the way later he sees the way the generic marketing version of Joi is projected over the city and he finds it unbearably sad. In a sense the other female characters are worse served than Joi because they serve the plot more often than their own character development. That's my main criticism, because the other female characters like Luv, the police chief, the leader of the rebellion don't have as much of an arc as Joi does

• Like 1