🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 22 Bugsy Malone

This movie is the movie equivalent of this cheesy photography from the 80s

7537c132d0d240c5f2c4b08f2c1111d7.jpg

I had never heard of this movie and was baffled from start to finish. As it's already been touched on, the cream pies being a substitute for bullets, guns, blood, guts, and carnage is... just so dark in its own weird way. Especially now.

Man... the 70's was a wild time.

• Like 7

Despite the cream pie continuity issues with the last scene, if we accept that cream pies equal death, then this is one of the most violent movies ever made. Even Tarantino doesn't show the kind of POV head-shots that this flick does -- it's like if Call of Duty were set in prohibition-era Chicago. And the way the screen froze for just a second when they got hit made it even creepier.

Or that scene where Knuckles is testing the cream pie contraption and it explodes in his face - there was cream everywhere.

• Like 5

Or that scene where Knuckles is testing the cream pie contraption and it explodes in his face - there was cream everywhere.

SO DARK

• Like 5

Okay, if we go by the scene where Fat Sam throws the pie at his one crony in his office, up to that point people were just throwing pies at each other. The gun that Dapper Dan's crew was using was new. Fat Sam didn't have access to it, was confused and confounded by it. So This leads to one of two scenarios. one in the alternate world of Bugsy Malone guns weren't invented until the 1920s. The standard pie being the equivalent of bow and arrow or sword. This means no first world war, no civil war, the whole history is different! The other possibility is that pies weren't invented until until the 13th century and rather serve as a food it was a weapon. But whipped cream didn't come about until the 16th century. So again alternate histories.

• Like 4

Okay, if we go by the scene where Fat Sam throws the pie at his one crony in his office, up to that point people were just throwing pies at each other. The gun that Dapper Dan's crew was using was new. Fat Sam didn't have access to it, was confused and confounded by it. So This leads to one of two scenarios. one in the alternate world of Bugsy Malone guns weren't invented until the 1920s. The standard pie being the equivalent of bow and arrow or sword. This means no first world war, no civil war, the whole history is different! The other possibility is that pies weren't invented until until the 13th century and rather serve as a food it was a weapon. But whipped cream didn't come about until the 16th century. So again alternate histories.

In this alternate history do people not grow past the age of 10? Maybe all the sugar stunted their growth as a population?

• Like 6

In this alternate history do people not grow past the age of 10? Maybe all the sugar stunted their growth as a population?

In a universe where facial contact with delicious desserts is fatal, we're all on borrowed time.

• Like 7

I like to think it's a Logan's Run type world except it's 20 and not 30.

• Like 5

Damn. I had imagined trebuchets filled with whipped cream. Maybe prior to whipped cream, they just hurled room temperature cream? Does it have to be in pie form? Also, if you whip cream long enough, it separates into butter and whey. How does butter fit into all this? It's basically solid cream. Is it more deadly?

Side note, I used to hate whipped cream, so the ending with the cream everywhere kind of grossed me out.

• Like 4

Side note, I used to hate whipped cream, so the ending with the cream everywhere kind of grossed me out.

Which was worse that or the beans?

• Like 3

I like to think it's a Logan's Run type world except it's 20 and not 30.

SO DARK!!!!

• Like 5

Which was worse that or the beans?

Whipped beans?

whipped-butter-and-beans.jpg

• Like 4

Damn. I had imagined trebuchets filled with whipped cream. Maybe prior to whipped cream, they just hurled room temperature cream? Does it have to be in pie form? Also, if you whip cream long enough, it separates into butter and whey. How does butter fit into all this? It's basically solid cream. Is it more deadly?

album-Herb-Alpert--The-Tijuana-Brass-Whipped-Cream--Other-Delights-40th-Anniversary-Edition.jpg

• Like 6

Like everyone else has said... I liked that it was a more "adult" story being told through a kid perspective.

I thought most of the kids did a good job / were funny.

But I also had a hard time focusing after about 30 minutes--- once the fun of the kids/ kid perspective wore off.

I don't know if it was the plot that made the fun wear off? But I also wasn't digging the adult singing voices with the kids lip syncing.

Perhaps also best known for being Alan Parker's directing debut. He would go on to do some other music-styled movies that we got to discuss about in the future like "Fame", "Pink Floyd: The Wall", "The Commitments" and "Evita".

I'm glad Alan Parker learned from Bugsy Malone. The Commitments is one of my favorite movies and they did all the music and singing live (supposedly anyway).

• Like 4

I'm so glad that fucked up lol

I know! Ugh! But, seriously, refresh.

• Like 2

I do want to add that the "Tomorrow" number with the ballet was particularly powerful, considering it was an African-American (I'm assuming the actor was american) child singing it with another POC dancing to it. That was probably the stand out number to me and didn't really fit with the silliness of the rest of the film, but what a number.

I felt like all of the songs had a "great depression" vibe (exept the last one) like "things are SO tough that thinking about tomorrow just doesn't cut it" and "Things are so tough that we joined the mob..." and of course the "Down & Out" one is pretty self-explanatory

Did he ever get to tap dance? I was going to fast forward and try to find it, but I didn't see it passing by. I was rooting for him.

He was on stage covered with cream dancing with a buch of other kids... But he had his janitor uniform and I don't think he was tapping :( I hope they clear that up in Bugsy Malone 2 ;)

This movie felt like an SNL sketch that never ended. It was novel and somewhat cute at first, but I got over the children playacting gangsters pretty quickly. Then came the ending. Oh boy. So let me get this straight. For 90 minutes, the film asks us to accept bizarre rules such as that these children are adults and that you die if you get cream pied. But then in the last scene, they say no, these are just children having a food fight with cream pies and they're all friends. So, what the fuck. I can't decide if the ending is a giant wink or a fuck you. I was pretty mad about it, tbh.

PS - I think I would've liked it if I had watched it as a kid.

My theory is... Bugsy and Blousy where the only ones who survived ('cuz theis were clean and had no cream on them)... And all the remaining kids are now singing ghosts that haunt Fat's Speakeasy

Also everyone in this Bugsy Malone's universe is SUPER alergic to eggs and or whipped cream so thats why it is SO deadly

Jason would not like this movie I bet... :(

Also ALSO Bugsy getting those $400 undercuts the audience expectations for him to redeem himself because "theres MORE money to be made in crime" and now he'll probably dump Leroy 'cuz he does not need to be his Boxing Manager anymore :(

There is a five part documentary that you can find on YouTube about catching up with the stars 30 years later.

In 2015 they did a musical production and the cast got back together for it...

I read it in this article that also talks about Florrie Dugger (Blousy) and her choice to leave her acting career... It's a good read IMHO

http://www.independe...e-10170232.html

17-Bugsy-Malone-Cast-rex.jpg

P.S.: (Some notes)

* In spanish the title of the movie is "Bugsy Malone: Al Capone's Grandson"

* Jodie Foster's voice has never changed... EVER

* In the opening credits montage there is a shot of Bugsy and Leroy in white onesies escaping the Dandy mansion grounds (an extended scene maybe?) but what baffles me is that it makes them MORE visible and easy to be spotted...

post-19567-0-66421300-1507670684.gif

* Was there a meta wall break in the Baby Face scene where he says he is a big movie star now or they were rolling without his knowledge and it was to get the actor to do the scene?

This post was longer than I expected... LOL

post-19567-0-66421300-1507670684_thumb.gif

• Like 6

Okay, so I'm listening to a Doug Loves Movies episode from like a week ago (Samm Levine, Josh Wolf, and Geoff Tate) and one of the answer to the iMDB game is Mickey Dolenz. So I'm curious about some of the stuff on Dolenz's career (namely the 2007 Rob Zombie Halloween remake, that I forgot he was in) and I had never heard of Circus Boy and I'm looking him up on Wikipedia.

The early 80s stage version of Bugsy Malone that starred Catherine Zeta-Jones as Tallulah that I mentioned, Donlez directed it.

A member of the Monkees, directed a feature Oscar winner, in a stage version of a movie that was written by an Oscar winner. This movie has such a weird trajectory and history.

• Like 6

Okay, so I'm listening to a Doug Loves Movies episode from like a week ago (Samm Levine, Josh Wolf, and Geoff Tate) and one of the answer to the iMDB game is Mickey Dolenz. So I'm curious about some of the stuff on Dolenz's career (namely the 2007 Rob Zombie Halloween remake, that I forgot he was in) and I had never heard of Circus Boy and I'm looking him up on Wikipedia.

The early 80s stage version of Bugsy Malone that starred Catherine Zeta-Jones as Tallulah that I mentioned, Donlez directed it.

A member of the Monkees, directed a feature Oscar winner, in a stage version of a movie that was written by an Oscar winner. This movie has such a weird trajectory and history.

Favorite Monkees songs?

I have quite a few, but currently, my favorite is “What Am I Doing Hangin’ Round”

http://youtu.be/sSYJDNSUkN8

• Like 3