86 replies to this topic

#21 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

There is a five part documentary that you can find on YouTube about catching up with the stars 30 years later. One of the interesting things mentioned was that Paul Williams wrote the music for adults because it would capture the emotions better than children singing and they would get the songs very late. Also the songs were written with no consideration of who was playing the parts and that's why the voices would often not match the child at all.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#22 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

I just want to say that even though this movie didn't work for me 100%, I'm still glad you picked it, Cam! This is the type of movie I feel like is perfect for MM. It's something I didn't even know existed. I'm glad I'm aware of it even if just to improve my pop culture knowledge :)
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#23 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 09 October 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

There is a five part documentary that you can find on YouTube about catching up with the stars 30 years later. One of the interesting things mentioned was that Paul Williams wrote the music for adults because it would capture the emotions better than children singing and they would get the songs very late. Also the songs were written with no consideration of who was playing the parts and that's why the voices would often not match the child at all.

I really wished the kids sang the songs themselves. Not hating on Paul Williams, but whenever I heard his voice, which was often, I kept thinking of Phantom of the Paradise. I thought the songs were fairly similar between the 2 movies as well, which didn't help.

#24 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

I only have a little regret. To me the most disappointing this about the movie is there is so much good in it that if the story had another pass or two and maybe one more music number it would have been much better.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...

#25 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

Despite the cream pie continuity issues with the last scene, if we accept that cream pies equal death, then this is one of the most violent movies ever made. Even Tarantino doesn't show the kind of POV head-shots that this flick does -- it's like if Call of Duty were set in prohibition-era Chicago. And the way the screen froze for just a second when they got hit made it even creepier.

And for a second, in the final scene, it isn't clear at first that everyone is ok and the cream pies aren't actually killing them this time. And for that second, I was horrified thinking that this movie was about to end with a bunch of kids basically getting gunned down. Maybe that's just my present-day mentality reacting to a scene shot in 1976. Of course, the fact that they weren't getting killed in the end was simultaneously relieving and confusing.

Like most of you, I had other things going on while I watched, and the thought I kept having was, "God, this music is hard to listen to." The pitch-shifted adult voices were intolerable. If they couldn't get child actors who could sing, they may as well just use unmodulated adult voices in the songs. That would've helped add an extra level of camp and it would've have been so grating on the ear. This is extra sad considering that the composition of the songs is actually quite engaging.

#26 PollyDarton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

This movie is the movie equivalent of this cheesy photography from the 80s
Posted Image

I had never heard of this movie and was baffled from start to finish. As it's already been touched on, the cream pies being a substitute for bullets, guns, blood, guts, and carnage is... just so dark in its own weird way. Especially now.
Man... the 70's was a wild time.

#27 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 09 October 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Despite the cream pie continuity issues with the last scene, if we accept that cream pies equal death, then this is one of the most violent movies ever made. Even Tarantino doesn't show the kind of POV head-shots that this flick does -- it's like if Call of Duty were set in prohibition-era Chicago. And the way the screen froze for just a second when they got hit made it even creepier.

Or that scene where Knuckles is testing the cream pie contraption and it explodes in his face - there was cream everywhere.

#28 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 09 October 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Or that scene where Knuckles is testing the cream pie contraption and it explodes in his face - there was cream everywhere.

SO DARK

#29 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Okay, if we go by the scene where Fat Sam throws the pie at his one crony in his office, up to that point people were just throwing pies at each other. The gun that Dapper Dan's crew was using was new. Fat Sam didn't have access to it, was confused and confounded by it. So This leads to one of two scenarios. one in the alternate world of Bugsy Malone guns weren't invented until the 1920s. The standard pie being the equivalent of bow and arrow or sword. This means no first world war, no civil war, the whole history is different! The other possibility is that pies weren't invented until until the 13th century and rather serve as a food it was a weapon. But whipped cream didn't come about until the 16th century. So again alternate histories.

#30 PollyDarton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 09 October 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

Okay, if we go by the scene where Fat Sam throws the pie at his one crony in his office, up to that point people were just throwing pies at each other. The gun that Dapper Dan's crew was using was new. Fat Sam didn't have access to it, was confused and confounded by it. So This leads to one of two scenarios. one in the alternate world of Bugsy Malone guns weren't invented until the 1920s. The standard pie being the equivalent of bow and arrow or sword. This means no first world war, no civil war, the whole history is different! The other possibility is that pies weren't invented until until the 13th century and rather serve as a food it was a weapon. But whipped cream didn't come about until the 16th century. So again alternate histories.

In this alternate history do people not grow past the age of 10? Maybe all the sugar stunted their growth as a population?

#31 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 09 October 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

In this alternate history do people not grow past the age of 10? Maybe all the sugar stunted their growth as a population?

In a universe where facial contact with delicious desserts is fatal, we're all on borrowed time.

#32 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 09 October 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

I like to think it's a Logan's Run type world except it's 20 and not 30.

#33 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 09 October 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

Damn. I had imagined trebuchets filled with whipped cream. Maybe prior to whipped cream, they just hurled room temperature cream? Does it have to be in pie form? Also, if you whip cream long enough, it separates into butter and whey. How does butter fit into all this? It's basically solid cream. Is it more deadly?

Side note, I used to hate whipped cream, so the ending with the cream everywhere kind of grossed me out.

#34 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 09 October 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

Side note, I used to hate whipped cream, so the ending with the cream everywhere kind of grossed me out.

Which was worse that or the beans?

#35 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 09 October 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

I like to think it's a Logan's Run type world except it's 20 and not 30.

SO DARK!!!!

#36 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:07 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 09 October 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

Which was worse that or the beans?

Whipped beans?

Posted Image
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#37 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:07 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 09 October 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

Damn. I had imagined trebuchets filled with whipped cream. Maybe prior to whipped cream, they just hurled room temperature cream? Does it have to be in pie form? Also, if you whip cream long enough, it separates into butter and whey. How does butter fit into all this? It's basically solid cream. Is it more deadly?

Posted Image
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#38 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:10 AM

View PostCameron H., on 10 October 2017 - 01:07 AM, said:

Whipped beans?

Posted Image

Posted Image
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."

#39 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:11 AM

View Postkateacola, on 09 October 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

Like everyone else has said... I liked that it was a more "adult" story being told through a kid perspective.
I thought most of the kids did a good job / were funny.
But I also had a hard time focusing after about 30 minutes--- once the fun of the kids/ kid perspective wore off.

I don't know if it was the plot that made the fun wear off? But I also wasn't digging the adult singing voices with the kids lip syncing.

View PostSlidePocket, on 09 October 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Perhaps also best known for being Alan Parker's directing debut. He would go on to do some other music-styled movies that we got to discuss about in the future like "Fame", "Pink Floyd: The Wall", "The Commitments" and "Evita".

I'm glad Alan Parker learned from Bugsy Malone. The Commitments is one of my favorite movies and they did all the music and singing live (supposedly anyway).

#40 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 10 October 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

Posted Image

All I see is --
Posted Image