🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 22 Bugsy Malone

So Roger's girlfriend kills herself and leaves a note "we've got diabetes"? Like she gave him diabetes?

Angel dies from diabetes-related complications?

Roger sings a song where he says one song, glory...the one song, before the beetus takes hold?

So many questions.

*Mimi voice* Will you check my blood sugar?

• Like 5

*beeper goes off*

Mimi: In-sul-in break

Roger: You

Mimi: Me.

Roger: beeeeeeetes!

FTFY

• Like 5

“When you’re living in A-mer-i-ca with hypogly-cem-i-a!”

• Like 5

Thanks again, Cam, for introducing us to this movie!

I can’t wait to see what Quasar’s got in store for us tomorrow...

• Like 6

I finally finished watching this (had to take it in small doses) and just a couple thoughts.

1) SPLURGE gun! What kind of name was that supposed to be? A splurge is a spending spree or an "extravagant" purchase when you can't afford it, not a name for a whipped cream grenade.

2) They found the guns because the name of the company was right on the crates. They could have just gone to the NY Public Library and asked if there were any businesses with the name Splurge in the area. Some hiding place, at the manufacturer!

3) I wasn't as bothered with the ADR. The kid/adult thing bothered me a little but I could allow for that. What did bother me was that everyone was basically unlikable or unremarkable. Fat Sam was a total jerk and seemed to learn nothing (except for the quick turnaround at the ending). Dan and his guy had Sam on the ropes the entire movie yet Bugsy helps Sam. Sam is still treating everyone the same way, especially Tallulah and Fizzy.

4) As others have said Jodie Foster was the standout but everyone else (especially Scott Baio) was forgettable. The only one I liked was Fizzy. He kept trying even when it seemed to be hopeless.

5) The music certainly seemed to be written for adult singers, especially Blousy's number. I am almost glad adults sang the parts because I couldn't imagine kids singing these songs. I will have to watch some of the school performances on YouTube and see how it works. It must work because so many schools do this musical.

• Like 2

I forgot to add #6.

6) I agree that the ending cream pie fight absolutely undermined the movie. Throughout the movie whipped cream means death (or injury -- Fat Sam gets shot in the back at the ambush). Yet EVERY character gets completely covered, INCLUDING being shot with Splurge guns! The entire movie Splurge guns are horrific and now they are no worse than food-based Nerf guns.

• Like 2

I forgot to add #6.

6) I agree that the ending cream pie fight absolutely undermined the movie. Throughout the movie whipped cream means death (or injury -- Fat Sam gets shot in the back at the ambush). Yet EVERY character gets completely covered, INCLUDING being shot with Splurge guns! The entire movie Splurge guns are horrific and now they are no worse than food-based Nerf guns.

I think it would have added a bit of surrealist comedy if the stakes and import for the Splurge guns were as high as they were in the movie (treated with deadly seriousness), but the ultimate consequences were what we saw at the end. That is, just like a regular pie in the face. From the beginning, you could have had the kids running from the Splurge guns, trying to avoid getting hit at all costs, but the consequences would be no more than being the loser in a food fight, then they would pout as they complain about having to wash their faces and change their clothes. As it stands, yeah, the finale should play as a bloody massacre... but now for lulz?

• Like 2