Episode 173.5 - Minisode 173.5

129 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 5,204 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:12 AM

How to take care of your stressed out wife, notes on a movie from someone who works at an actual prison, and much more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Virtuosity, Blake J. Harris interviews director Brett Leonard about Virtuosity, and the Movie Bitches review The Emoji Movie. Plus, you’ll find out which horror movie we will be covering next!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

Wow actually referenced in the episode description, my life is complete.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#3 SeaSkunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 20 October 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

Wow actually referenced in the episode description, my life is complete.

Congrats!

If you support segregation, you can get mentioned in several mini eps, right Cameron?

#4 muttnik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

I think my dad's favorite movie was Forbidden Planet (not sure if it still is), and he made me watch it after I'd seen Terminator 2, Aliens, and Jurassic Park. I didn't care for it then, but I learned to appreciate it in my teens, and now it's one of my favorites too. So there's hope I'd say.

#5 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

View Postmuttnik, on 20 October 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

I think my dad's favorite movie was Forbidden Planet (not sure if it still is), and he made me watch it after I'd seen Terminator 2, Aliens, and Jurassic Park. I didn't care for it then, but I learned to appreciate it in my teens, and now it's one of my favorites too. So there's hope I'd say.

I had that same experience with the original Planet of the Apes

#6 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

I had to watch several episodes of Thomas the Train this weekend because my nephew, who is two (and has GARBAGE taste) kept saying "Watch Thomas? Watch Thomas?" I agree with Paul, that train sucks.

He also really loves this video. And when you put it on he'll go "OH BOY DUCKS!" For some reason, I hate this one less because I make jokes with mother (my sister) about how that mother duck should be reported to CPS.

I guess what I'm saying is Thomas isn't even fun bad. But five little ducks is totally HDTGM bad.

ETA: Also congrats to us on being the best Earwolf forum. Suck it, Comedy Bang Bang.

#7 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 20 October 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

He also really loves this video. And when you put it on he'll go "OH BOY DUCKS!" For some reason, I hate this one less because I make jokes with mother (my sister) about how that mother duck should be reported to CPS.

Posted Image
I agree. This mother duck's sadness is totally self-inflicted. Speaking as a parent, maybe do something to look out for your ducklings besides going "quack quack quack."

GET IT TOGETHER, MOTHERDUCKERS!

#8 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 20 October 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

Posted Image
I agree. This mother duck's sadness is totally self-inflicted. Speaking as a parent, maybe do something to look out for your ducklings besides going "quack quack quack."

Also she doesn't notice any of the ducks are missing until all are gone. That's just shoddy ducking. Get it together.

I'm totally stealing "motherducker" and passing it off as my own.

#9 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 20 October 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

Everyone pack it up this is the greatest ending to any comment.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#10 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

My son is not into Thomas -- never was. The most annoying show that he liked was probably Dinosaur Train or Clifford, but I'm sure there is another that I could come up with. He only gets to watch a little bit of television anyways.

#11 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

My son is eldest son has pretty much aged out of watching Thomas (although he still likes to play with the trains and stuff). I've never really had a problem with it. They're just cute little bits of nonsense. (Although the non-CG ones are pretty creep-a-rooney.)

I really don't have a problem with any of his shows. They are what they are. They're not for me. However, that being said, I would totally be open to HDTGM doing this psychotic piece of cinema:

Posted Image

P.S. I also don't hate the Star Wars prequels. On their own, I certainly wouldn't consider them to be classics, but I think they're fine as a part of the whole. And, seriously, the first 30 mins of A New Hope - where you follow Threepio and Artoo through the desert - is boring as fuck. It's just as bad as any Trade Negotiation in Phantom Menace - maybe worse.

Wooden acting? Yup. Silly dialog? Yup. Uneven pacing? Yup. Convenient simplistic storytelling? Yup, yup, yup.

My point is: I love the OT - I always will - but let's not kid ourselves into believing they're good movies. They're great, but by no means "good."
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#12 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

As for music, kids are pretty much a mirror to their parents until teenage years. Except that they take up a love for some of the weirdest stuff. I mean, my wife and I have subjected our kids to hundreds of different songs from different genres. But the one song that my son wants to listen to over and over is...

Wimoweh by the Weavers.

Specifically that version. "Mbube" or "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" don't do anything for him.

#13 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 20 October 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

As for music, kids are pretty much a mirror to their parents until teenage years. Except that they take up a love for some of the weirdest stuff. I mean, my wife and I have subjected our kids to hundreds of different songs from different genres. But the one song that my son wants to listen to over and over is...

Wimoweh by the Weavers.

Specifically that version. "Mbube" or "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" don't do anything for him.

My eldest son’s favorite songs are:

The Passenger” - Iggy POP
Ghostbusters” - Ray Parker Jr.
Yellow Submarine” - The Beatles

My 1 year old likes anything from The Seventies. Even when he was nothing more than a lump, it has always soothed him. Anything from The Carpenters to Sabbath. Kind of weird, actually. He has no time for any other decade.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#14 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

To be fair, "The Passenger" is a truly great song.

#15 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 20 October 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

To be fair, "The Passenger" is a truly great song.

Oh, I’m not complaining. ;)

Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#16 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 20 October 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

My nephew is about three and I don't know what his mother listens to with him. But when I turn on the Alt-Rock station he yells 'MUSIC!' because its what my brother listens to. He hasn't requested any songs with me, but he does love to sing Wheels on the Bus over and over and over again.

As for tv shows, he's obsessed with Paw Patrol and Blaze.

#17 NundercoverBrother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationSucker Free

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostCameron H., on 20 October 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

My son is eldest son has pretty much aged out of watching Thomas (although he still likes to play with the trains and stuff). I've never really had a problem with it. They're just cute little bits of nonsense. (Although the non-CG ones are pretty creep-a-rooney.)

I really don't have a problem with any of his shows. They are what they are. They're not for me. However, that being said, I would totally be open to HDTGM doing this psychotic piece of cinema:

Posted Image

That would be Pauls most episode ever.

#18 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Posted Image

There's so much to unpack here, but I'd like to start by asking, what the hell kind of train has a jaws-style frontloader, and why is it chasing Thomas?

Also, it's Thomas' first movie, and on the poster, they have him fleeing for his life? I think this is proof that even the people who made the show hated "Thomas the Tank Engine."

#19 EvRobert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

My son is eldest son has pretty much aged out of watching Thomas (although he still likes to play with the trains and stuff). I've never really had a problem with it. They're just cute little bits of nonsense. (Although the non-CG ones are pretty creep-a-rooney.) I really don't have a problem with any of his shows. They are what they are. They're not for me. However, that being said, I would totally be open to HDTGM doing this psychotic piece of cinema: Posted Image

i've seen this because of Baldwin and Fonda...

#20 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 20 October 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

There's so much to unpack here, but I'd like to start by asking, what the hell kind of train has a jaws-style frontloader, and why is it chasing Thomas?

That’s Diesel 10, bro!

Posted Image

He’s always causing confusion and delay...
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)