🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 23 Top Hat

Hold on to your pant because they’re about to be charmed right off!

We watched:

tophat_poster.jpg

• Like 1

I ended up being really glad I picked this! Charming is definitely the right word for it. Ginger Rogers was absolutely magnetic on screen and, I know I'm the 23rd millionth person to say this, but the joy on her and Fred's faces when they were dancing together was so contagious, I could not help but enjoy myself.

The film also does a neat balancing act of participating in the fantasy of being wealthy, but, since the film was made during the Depression, there is still a whole host of "haha, look at this rich, imbecilic assholes!" moments in the gags and overall humor.

• Like 7

I agree! Their chemistry was amazing! So much so that I felt the need to Google if they were a real life couple (they weren’t).

The only other movie I can think of that I was this into by the first note was Staying Alive. I know that doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement, but it is :)

• Like 6

Also, this made me giggle, being a BIG NERD:

[He is reading a telegram]

Alberto Beddini: 'Come ahead. stop. Stop being a sap. stop. You can even bring Alberto. stop. My husband is stopping at your hotel. stop. when do you start. stop.' I cannot understand who wrote this.

Dale Tremont: Sounds like Gertrude Stein.

OH SNAP! HOT TAKE on early seminal figures in early 20st Century modernist literature!

It's because of movies like this that we can remember that, at one time, figures like Gertrude Stein were famous. Famous enough to be the punchline of a joke in movies. I just find that fascinating, from both a cinematic and a historical perspective.

• Like 6

Also, this made me giggle, being a BIG NERD:

OH SNAP! HOT TAKE on early seminal figures in early 20st Century modernist literature!

It's because of movies like this that we can remember that, at one time, figures like Gertrude Stein were famous. Famous enough to be the punchline of a joke in movies. I just find that fascinating, from both a cinematic and a historical perspective.

I loved that line! That was going to be my quote for the movie. And, yes, it was weird to think that - at the time - she would have been totally contemporary. It would have been like taking a shot at Stephen King or something,

• Like 3

I ended up being really glad I picked this! Charming is definitely the right word for it. Ginger Rogers was absolutely magnetic on screen and, I know I'm the 23rd millionth person to say this, but the joy on her and Fred's faces when they were dancing together was so contagious, I could not help but enjoy myself.

The film also does a neat balancing act of participating in the fantasy of being wealthy, but, since the film was made during the Depression, there is still a whole host of "haha, look at this rich, imbecilic assholes!" moments in the gags and overall humor.

You think the Depression was bad? Even before the Depression Buster Keaton couldn't afford a hall wide enough and tall enough to comfortably answer the phone! (Is there a way to resize pictures via the forum without manually cropping them beforehand?)

Lktlw8K.jpg?1

• Like 5

My naive mind was also blown by the fact he smoked! I smoked for a long time (fortunately, I’ve since quit), but my lungs still have issues sometimes. I can’t imagine trying to dance at even a fraction of his level while still smoking. That’s insane!

• Like 4

I agree! Their chemistry was amazing! So much so that I felt the need to Google if they were a real life couple (they weren’t).

The only other movie I can think of that I was this into by the first note was Staying Alive. I know that doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement, but it is :)

It may be a good endorsement but I just can't see CPR classes teaching the Hands-on method and having classes hum "ah, ah, ah, ah, Top[ Hat, Top Hat" to get the rhythm down.

All kidding aside (if you don't know I'm 99.9% smartass by now), I loved Top Hat as well. Like Cameron H., I had a regret for not buying a previous movie so I bought this one on Amazon streaming. It was only $1 more than the cost of renting it twice. I also haven't watched the entire movie yet but feel free to spoil away. The last few films I found i got more enjoyment after reading people's observations.

• Like 4

I'm up to

Ginger Rogers meeting the wife in Italy and more confusion about who is who.

• Like 2

Yeah, I’m disappointed that I didn’t buy this, too! I didn’t buy this, but I did buy Jason X. I’m a big dummy :(

• Like 4

Maybe it's just because I have two young kids, but "Silence in the club rooms" sounds like my idea of fucking heaven.

ETA: Not just "fucking heaven," but regular heaven, too ;)

• Like 5

Maybe it's just because I have two young kids, but "Silence in the club rooms" sounds like my idea of fucking heaven.

I assume there would be some noise just out of necessity in "fucking heaven".

• Like 3

It reminded me of the club room in Trading Places. Silence wasn't a rule (thank goodness since my favorite part is the waiter's sarcastic response to his Christmas tip) but everyone sat around reading papers. Really?!?! People paid LOTS of dollars to belong to an organization where they drank and read papers. SMH.

• Like 3

It reminded me of the club room in Trading Places. Silence wasn't a rule (thank goodness since my favorite part is the waiter's sarcastic response to his Christmas tip) but everyone sat around reading papers. Really?!?! People paid LOTS of dollars to belong to an organization where they drank and read papers. SMH.

Are you kidding? I would LOVE that!

• Like 3

Going into this, I wasn't that familiar with Astaire/Rogers. I knew the names, because EVERYONE knows of Astaire & Rogers, but I had only ever seen clips (mostly from this movie I realized) of them dancing. The name (Top Hat), the dancing sequences, everything looked like something I wouldn't enjoy, so I was pleasantly surprised how much I did and I think that is due NOT to the music and dancing, but to the slapstick comedy in this. What I mean is, if you took out the singing and most of the dancing, you would have a perfectly serviceable early stages screwball comedy. There was an kind of enduring "kookiness" that made this work. It's like the Shakespeare comedies in a way, in that the upper class are morons who are constantly made fun of by the lower class (who may also be idiots, but recognize and call out the upper class).

What is also interesting is that this is a interesting example of a "transitional" musical. *puts my teaching glasses on* What I mean is that starting in the early 20th century, Broadway saw the rise of what is called "Princess Theater" shows. Basically they combined light entertainment with catchy songs with a loose continuity between them. 1927's Show Boat is considered by many to be the first of the "book musicals" where the songs and story are full interwoven and 1944's Oklahoma! is where it really soldified, basically all the musicals and musical movies we know today (for the most part). Top Hat doesn't quite fit the mold of revue nor does it quite fit the mold of book musical, it's a light airy comedy where the presence of songs and dance is "needed" (arguably, the only dancing that is really needed is the two tap dancing in the hotel rooms and possibly the feather dress number since it solidifies the relationship between Ginger and Fred.) but where the songs don't directly tie into the narrative. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just interesting to watch how musicals have evolved over time (and in ways they haven't).

• Like 5

I don't have kids but I can certainly understand your desire. One of the reasons I went ahead and got two kittens was they went off and did their own thing for long stretches of time. I have no idea how I would handle someone always wanting my attention 24/7. I do get frustrated with the cats because they seem to be motion-based. All the toys they love are ones they can hunt but the toy itself has to move. I swing a shoelace around and they grab at it. One lays on the carpet and they could care less.

• Like 2

Are you kidding? I would LOVE that!

In the meantime may I suggest:

Cone-of-Silence.jpg

• Like 5

Going into this, I wasn't that familiar with Astaire/Rogers. I knew the names, because EVERYONE knows of Astaire & Rogers, but I had only ever seen clips (mostly from this movie I realized) of them dancing. The name (Top Hat), the dancing sequences, everything looked like something I wouldn't enjoy, so I was pleasantly surprised how much I did and I think that is due NOT to the music and dancing, but to the slapstick comedy in this. What I mean is, if you took out the singing and most of the dancing, you would have a perfectly serviceable early stages screwball comedy. There was an kind of enduring "kookiness" that made this work. It's like the Shakespeare comedies in a way, in that the upper class are morons who are constantly made fun of by the lower class (who may also be idiots, but recognize and call out the upper class).

I haven't watched the entire movie yet but does Bates ever say "I have a cunning plan"?

• Like 3

What is also interesting is that this is a interesting example of a "transitional" musical. *puts my teaching glasses on* What I mean is that starting in the early 20th century, Broadway saw the rise of what is called "Princess Theater" shows. Basically they combined light entertainment with catchy songs with a loose continuity between them. 1927's Show Boat is considered by many to be the first of the "book musicals" where the songs and story are full interwoven and 1944's Oklahoma! is where it really soldified, basically all the musicals and musical movies we know today (for the most part). Top Hat doesn't quite fit the mold of revue nor does it quite fit the mold of book musical, it's a light airy comedy where the presence of songs and dance is "needed" (arguably, the only dancing that is really needed is the two tap dancing in the hotel rooms and possibly the feather dress number since it solidifies the relationship between Ginger and Fred.) but where the songs don't directly tie into the narrative. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just interesting to watch how musicals have evolved over time (and in ways they haven't).

This is a big reason I love discussion forums. Someone is bound to have extensive knowledge or personal experience in any subject brought out. This was well written. Would the "Princess Theater" be part of the transition from film to vaudeville? In Vaudeville there would be all kinds of acts with little-to-no connective tissue. One of my interests in stage-to-film adaptations is what was removed because it was necessary to cover set or costume changes on stage. Those aren't needed on film.

ETA: I meant "from Vaudeville to film".

• Like 4

I just finished watching the movie (had trouble tracking down a copy) so I'm glad I didn't miss too much. Haven't even logged it on letterboxd yet.

I will echo what was first said. This movie is charming. That's the perfect word for it. I wasn't terribly familiar with Fred Astaire, but he is incredibly charming. I would have liked to have seen him Gene Kelly is a charm and dance off.

One of the other things that got me right away is there is some what I can only imagine some risque jokes at the time. I mean it's basically a French farce heavy on the word play, but all the stuff with him and Hardwick and tricking him into answering things and that. After his wife hits him, he jokes but he likes that kind of thing and Hardwick agrees and then is like "no, not that." Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

My naive mind was also blown by the fact he smoked! I smoked for a long time (fortunately, I’ve since quit), but my lungs still have issues sometimes. I can’t imagine trying to dance at even a fraction of his level while still smoking. That’s insane!

I was having a similar conversation last week with a friend. Talking about how everybody use to smoke it seems back in the day even dancers and hard laborers. His theory was that cigarettes were more pure and therefore easier on the lungs. He also believe this is why so many Asians smoke and don't get as much cancer. He's Japanese and smokes so who am I to argue.

• Like 3

This is a big reason I love discussion forums. Someone is bound to have extensive knowledge or personal experience in any subject brought out. This was well written. Would the "Princess Theater" be part of the transition from film to vaudeville? In Vaudeville there would be all kinds of acts with little-to-no connective tissue. One of my interests in stage-to-film adaptations is what was removed because it was necessary to cover set or costume changes on stage. Those aren't needed on film.

In a way yes, I think it helped train audiences to sit through long form entertainment to a degree. This isn't to say that there weren't full length plays and shows prior to the Princess Theater, because there were, but at the same time, Princess Theater was mostly based (like musical theater today) in NYC, vaudeville was about getting out to the masses in towns in Illinois, and Missouri, and Kansas, and Nebraska. What to me is more interesting about the transition from vaudeville to film is that a lot of the big stars in the Golden and Silver ages of Hollywood didn't come out of the NYC theater scene, but out of the traveling vaudeville scene (Astaire, Arbuckle, Hope, Abbott & Costello, Jean Acker, Jack Albertson, Don Ameche, the Barrymores, Benny, Berle, Cagney, etc etc etc).

What I think really contributed to the decline of vaudeville, was the Depression. Films were just cheaper for people to go to and more profitable.

• Like 3

This movie, as stated, was charming as could be. I was worried it might not be my thing but from the opening scene I was down.

One of the other things that got me right away is there is some what I can only imagine some risque jokes at the time. I mean it's basically a French farce heavy on the word play, but all the stuff with him and Hardwick and tricking him into answering things and that. After his wife hits him, he jokes but he likes that kind of thing and Hardwick agrees and then is like "no, not that." Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

This, and the dancing obviously, stuck out to me too. They seemed to really walk the line one whay would have been allowed in Hays era Hollywood. The whole "What about the horse's dam" is striking considering we know Gone With The Wind paid fines for its use of the word "damn."

If anyone is interested in this witty back and forth, pushing the envelope on acceptability dialogue, check out the Thin Man movies.

• Like 5

This movie, as stated, was charming as could be. I was worried it might not be my thing but from the opening scene I was down.

This, and the dancing obviously, stuck out to me too. They seemed to really walk the line one whay would have been allowed in Hays era Hollywood. The whole "What about the horse's dam" is striking considering we know Gone With The Wind paid fines for its use of the word "damn."

If anyone is interested in this witty back and forth, pushing the envelope on acceptability dialogue, check out the Thin Man movies.

I LOVE The Thin Man movies

• Like 4

I will echo what was first said. This movie is charming. That's the perfect word for it. I wasn't terribly familiar with Fred Astaire, but he is incredibly charming. I would have liked to have seen him Gene Kelly is a charm and dance off.

It's not a dance-off but your wish is YouTube's command.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 4

It's not a dance-off but your wish is YouTube's command.

[media='']

[/media]

Whelp, I'm delighted. I think Astaire as a tad more charm.

• Like 2