🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 174 - Jason X: LIVE!

HDTGM All-stars Rob Huebel and Jenny Slate join Paul and Jason to discuss the 2001 science fiction slasher film Jason X. Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about the nipple clamps, abusive VR, and “what is Jason?”. Plus, Rob is reminded of a horror prank gone wrong from his past.

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

Weird thing about this entry in the F13 franchise is that it has the second highest kill count of a Jason film at 24, behind Jason takes Manhattan at 25, but is also tied for most survivors at the end of the film with 3 (tied with Jason 5). I don't think this would have been as bad of a film if it weren't for the god awful CGI, but at least it follows other horror series that have taken to space (Hellraiser, Leprechaun), now all we need is a prequel/flashback movie set when the camp was first open.

• Like 7

Great episode but my biggest question from the movie was left unanswered. How much are those college kids paying in tuition? We know from the professor's video call that these missions are usually not profitable so this isn't a self sustaining operation. They are using a massive spaceship that had to be worth billions. I'm sure paying for gas to get to Earth Prime and back isn't cheap. They have a platoon of space marines as their security detail. The whole operation has got to cost a fortune and you know Space University isn't going to absorb those costs.

Also what was the name of the class they were taking?

• Like 4

Also what was the name of the class they were taking?

I got the impression that they were studying Archaeology, but I could be wrong. And I suppose grants might have covered some of the cost, but...that’s just a guess. It’s pretty inconclusive. ;)

ETA: I just started the show and the trailer says “on a routine training mission” so I’m guessing the space marines were training (I'm guessing that it’s their ship then) and the kids were just sort of tagging along ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 6

Someone mentions that Jason was sentenced to the death penalty and electrocuted, shot by firing squad and hanged.

First, I would have loved to see that trial with Jason in the courtroom. Jason kills predominantly in New Jersey where Camp Crystal Lake is located and in New York for Jason Takes Manhattan. Neither of those states have the death penalty. I don't know if someone can be tried in another state and receive the death penalty for crimes in the original state. It's possible Jason killed elsewhere though.

I was curious about state's methods of execution. As far as I can tell, lethal injection is the primary method of execution for every state with the death penalty. If lethal injection isn't used, and the reasoning for why it might not be used, varies state to state, I believe they all have a backup method. But no state currently has electric chair, firing squad and hanging. Several states have one of the methods as a backup. Only two states, Mississippi and Oklahoma, have electric chair, firing squad and gas chamber as backups though. Hanging is only a backup method in Delaware, New Hampshire and Washington.

I think Paul pronounced the review name TechnoMachinima1996 correctly. I wouldn't pronounce it "machina" as Rob Huebel suggests.

• Like 5

Weird thing about this entry in the F13 franchise is that it has the second highest kill count of a Jason film at 24, behind Jason takes Manhattan at 25...

Plus all those people he killed on Solaris by murdering the ship captain causing the crash. (Which makes the kill count of "over 200" on Earth cited by Rowan earlier look pathetic.)

• Like 3

The team talked about David Cronenberg being in this movie. But no one asked why was he in this movie. It does not make sense. Cronenberg made lots of horror movies but they always have an existential theme. Videodrome's message is that TV programs us, eXistenZ questioned what is reality, The Fly questioned death and disease so why would a director of substance be in a movie without any substance?

Also i freely admit to paying and seeing this in theaters but i can safely say it is not a good movie.

• Like 1

Someone mentions that Jason was sentenced to the death penalty and electrocuted, shot by firing squad and hanged.

First, I would have loved to see that trial with Jason in the courtroom. Jason kills predominantly in New Jersey where Camp Crystal Lake is located and in New York for Jason Takes Manhattan. Neither of those states have the death penalty. I don't know if someone can be tried in another state and receive the death penalty for crimes in the original state. It's possible Jason killed elsewhere though.

I was curious about state's methods of execution. As far as I can tell, lethal injection is the primary method of execution for every state with the death penalty. If lethal injection isn't used, and the reasoning for why it might not be used, varies state to state, I believe they all have a backup method. But no state currently has electric chair, firing squad and hanging. Several states have one of the methods as a backup. Only two states, Mississippi and Oklahoma, have electric chair, firing squad and gas chamber as backups though. Hanging is only a backup method in Delaware, New Hampshire and Washington.

I think Paul pronounced the review name TechnoMachinima1996 correctly. I wouldn't pronounce it "machina" as Rob Huebel suggests.

Jason Goes to Hell (the best one, but i have not seen it in a whole time so don't quote me) starts off with an FBI sting to capture Jason and they circle him and shoot him dead and amazingly enough never have a friendly fire issue. The electrocution has not done except to ressurrect him at the beginning of 6 and there never was any courtroom or sentence. Sorry to dissappoint you.

• Like 1

Well, of course Lisa Ryder and Lexa Doig are the best at ship shake acting: They have previous experience from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. See previous comment in mini episode regarding the human and the robot swapping roles between Andromeda and this.

• Like 1

There's a set of after market novels based on Jason X written by Nancy Kirkpatrick. So, that's a thing that exists -- Apparently.

• Like 2

Also i freely admit to paying and seeing this in theaters but i can safely say it is not a good movie.

I paid to see this in theatres and ran the entire series by renting the VHS tapes the week before.

This is the first time I've seen the movie since then and it is terrible. At the time, I really liked it.

• Like 3

Now all we need is a prequel/flashback movie set when the camp was first open.

"Jason Voorhees: Year One" ;)

Aaand 2 quick things

* I LOVED Jenny Slate's drill pun and lol'ed at every "Let the bodies hit the floor!" mention

* Omission (Maybe)

Is the escape pod explotion in "Jason X" Chistopher Nolan's inspiration for

in Interstellar???

P.S.:

zCNt9z0l.jpg

Ok Gotta Go!

• Like 6

Weird thing about this entry in the F13 franchise is that it has the second highest kill count of a Jason film at 24, behind Jason takes Manhattan at 25, but is also tied for most survivors at the end of the film with 3 (tied with Jason 5).

Are you counting the two Holodeck versions of the guys playing the game?

• Like 1

There's a set of after market novels based on Jason X written by Nancy Kirkpatrick. So, that's a thing that exists -- Apparently.

No way, i so want to read one now. I wonder how bad or good they are.

Anyone rewatched Jason goes to Hell lately? Does it hold up? It definitely was the most original on the series with the body transferring going on and the Doctor doing the autopsy eating Jason's heart.

• Like 1

So 400 hundred years in the future and the marines are using guns that seem to just shoot conventional small caliber bullets. The only difference is that they're made of some sort of bulky plastic which just seem like they'd make it harder to carry and aim. Where are the lasers or plasma guns?

The only gun that packs any sort of punch is the one KM 14 uses to temporarily "kill" Jason, which seems to be some sort of futuristic low gauge shotgun capable of blasting limbs off a body. If they had that gun in the armory, why not use it in the beginning rather then ineffectively pumping 100's of rounds into him. I feel like Alexa Doig could have been a bit more helpful; she should know you basically have to blow apart or dismember Jason's body, yet she offers no helpful input before the marines go into the cargo hold to get picked off one by one.

The whole future world that this movie is based around just seems unbalanced. The weapons seem outdated, the VR seems primitive and makes no sense, the clothes are ridiculous. You're telling me space travel between galaxies is a thing but they can't use auto pilot to dock at Solaris and you have to launch the escape shuttle from a totally separate part of the ship; why not just get in and fly away? Then they have robots for scientific research but why not robot marines? More importantly, given how horny this crew is, why not sex robots? When the pilot,"Fat Lou," hears the group has recovered a 400 year old frozen female specimen from Earth 1, his reaction is basically, "Is she hot?" What the hell? The first thing he thinks is how much he wants to bone this 450 year old person from a different place and time. Build this poor guy a KM 14 sexbot. Why is everyone so horny in the future?

• Like 4

Also I don't understand how the guy in the bed with the lisp would think hear they recovered a 400 year old specimen tagged "Voorhees" and immediately think, "Is that notorious killer, Jason Voorhees?" Based on the last name, he could have just have easily thought Lark Voorhees of Saved by the Bell and Bill Bellamy's classic "How to be a Player." That would arguably have been a better movie.

• Like 4

The whole future world that this movie is based around just seems unbalanced. The weapons seem outdated, the VR seems primitive and makes no sense, the clothes are ridiculous. You're telling me space travel between galaxies is a thing but they can't use auto pilot to dock at Solaris and you have to launch the escape shuttle from a totally separate part of the ship; why not just get in and fly away? Then they have robots for scientific research but why not robot marines? More importantly, given how horny this crew is, why not sex robots? When the pilot,"Fat Lou," hears the group has recovered a 400 year old frozen female specimen from Earth 1, his reaction is basically, "Is she hot?" What the hell? The first thing he thinks is how much he wants to bone this 450 year old person from a different place and time. Build this poor guy a KM 14 sexbot. Why is everyone so horny in the future?

Not to mention they're doing surgery with machetes and iron hooks:

Jason+X+2.JPG

Also, I agree about how sex bots would totally exist in such a horn-dog future. I mean, IRL sexbots are only like two years away ... in 400 years, they will have replaced us entirely.

• Like 4

Why does Paul say he didn't make his own website? Didn't he tell us he did and it was easy with Squarespace before? Is everything he says a lie?

• Like 9

No way, i so want to read one now. I wonder how bad or good they are.

Anyone rewatched Jason goes to Hell lately? Does it hold up? It definitely was the most original on the series with the body transferring going on and the Doctor doing the autopsy eating Jason's heart.

I read a brief bit about the Jason X novels on the Friday the 13th Wiki. Spoiler alert - apparently Jason has a son somehow and his son ultimately kills him by trapping his clone in an escape pod and sending him to a remote moon.

• Like 2

Not to mention they're doing surgery with machetes and iron hooks:

Jason+X+2.JPG

Also, I agree about how sex bots would totally exist in such a horn-dog future. I mean, IRL sexbots are only like two years away ... in 400 years, they will have replaced us entirely.

It's possible that in this movie, every character apart from Alexa Doig were actually really realistic sex cyborgs/robots that have revolted, killed off humanity and continued civilization, just made it a whole lot sexier. Would explain why they're so horny and wear such little clothes, all part of their programming.

• Like 5

I'm having a slow work day an I'm hooked on this Friday the 13th wiki. I think maybe you guys were a little hard on poor Kane Hodder. He clearly has a soft spot for children and animals - guy just needs to make a buck after being left out of Freddy vs. Jason. Here's an interesting bit I just read regarding Jason Vorhees's feelings on killing children or animals:

Whatever his motivations, Kane Hodder believes there is a limit to what he will do. According to Hodder, Jason might violently murder any person he comes across, but when Jason Takes Manhattan called for Hodder to kick the lead character's dog, Hodder refused, stating that, while Jason has no qualms against killing humans, he is not bad enough to hurt animals. Another example from Jason Takes Manhattan, involves Jason being confronted by a street gang of young teenage boys one of whom threatens him with a knife, however Jason chooses not to kill them and instead scares them off by lifting up his mask and showing them his face. Likewise, director Tom McLoughlin chose not to have Jason harm any of the children he encounters in Jason Lives, stating that Jason would not kill a child, out of a sympathy for the plight of children generated by his own death as a child.

• Like 10

Man, it's 2PM EST and the Sticher Premium app still doesn't have the episode up.

I'd note that the new eps are never ad-free (as promised) but that doesn't really bother me.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone mentioned that all the spacecraft in the movie are named after literary monsters. The main ship they're on is called "The Grendel," which is the monster from Beowulf. Incidently, Beowulf kills Grendel by ripping her arms off, which kinda parallels the way the ship is "dismembered" in the way they blow it apart piece by piece:

stufftoblowyourmind-23-2014-04-beowulf_grendel-feature.jpg

The ship they hail for rescue toward the end is called "The Tiamat," which was a Sumerian goddess that was depicted often as a multiheaded dragon:

Video_ToD.jpg

• Like 6

Omission: Towards the end of the movie when they communicate with a ship that has picked up their "distress beacon" the ship tells them they are 4 parsecs away and that it will take them 45 minutes to get to them. That blew my mind so I did some math.

A parsec maybe doesn't sound like much but it's a huge distance, equal to 3.26 light-years (the distance it takes light to travel in space during 1 YEAR). So 4 parsecs is 13.04 LY, or 6,853,824 Light Minutes (the distance light travels in a minute).

In other words, this ship is more than 150,000 times faster than light! First of all, that's impossible according to the currently-known laws of physics. Second of all, even if they did discover some way to travel faster than light in this future, how come it took them so long to arrive to the base? Unless it was halfway across the galaxy it should have taken them nanoseconds to arrive there.

[Edit: forgot some words]

• Like 7