🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 174 - Jason X: LIVE!

Well, when she couldn't get Ted to cheat on his girlfriend with her, Jimmy was the best of what was left.- even if he was a "dead fuck."

That was the other twin,who was trying to get Paul to cheat, and then after Ted, the guy with the invisible fuck calculation computer, tried to basically molest her on the couch in front of everyone, she wanted to leave and have her sister come with her in an act of solidarity, but she was all up in Crispin Glover's biz so she told her to buzz off. This of course led to her getting shanked in the rain.

There's a great documentary called Crystal Lake Memories that covers the entire series and gives in-depth interviews with not just the stars of the films but also smaller characters in order to give a better understanding of the films. It's kinda interesting in that Corey Feldman talks about how he was supposed to have a bigger role in part 5, rather than a teen version of the character, but he was contractually obligated to be in The Goonies, so he could only do a cameo in the cold open of part 5. Feldman actually states that he was furious that he couldn't do a bigger role because he had much more fun in his Friday movie than he did in Goonies. Beware though that the documentary is 8 hours long, but it's definitely worth watching if you're a horror fan.

I know way too much about these movies.

• Like 2

That was the other twin,who was trying to get Paul to cheat, and then after Ted, the guy with the invisible fuck calculation computer, tried to basically molest her on the couch in front of everyone, she wanted to leave and have her sister come with her in an act of solidarity, but she was all up in Crispin Glover's biz so she told her to buzz off. This of course led to her getting shanked in the rain.

Sorry, normally I would defer to your expertise on Horror movies, but this is wrong.

She’s dancing with Ted and puts on his hat. Ted has second thoughts about cheating on his girlfriend. After he leaves, her sister motions for the two of them to leave. Instead, the sister dancing with Ted puts his hat on Crispin Glover’s and they start dancing. He then says, “I thought you wanted to be with Ted?” She replies, “Welll, I did. But now I want to be with you.” Now I’m starting to think she was more interested in fucking Ted’s hat than either of those doofuses. I can’t say I blame her. It’s a nice hat.

That’s interesting, and kind of sad, that Feldman preferred doing this to Goonies, though. I would have thought it would have preferred to be around Kids his own age.

• Like 2

Sorry, normally I would defer to your expertise on Horror movies, but this is wrong.

She’s dancing with Ted and puts on his hat. Ted has second thoughts about cheating on his girlfriend. After he leaves, her sister motions for the two of them to leave. Instead, the sister dancing with Ted puts his hat on Crispin Glover’s and they start dancing. He then says, “I thought you wanted to be with Ted?” She replies, “Welll, I did. But now I want to be with you.” Now I’m starting to think she was more interested in fucking Ted’s hat than either of those doofuses. I can’t say I blame her. It’s a nice hat.

That’s interesting, and kind of sad, that Feldman preferred doing this to Goonies, though. I would have thought it would have preferred to be around Kids his own age.

Okay I see where the disconnect is. That's Paul she was trying to steal from his girlfriend 150full-clyde-hayes.jpg. Ted was going stag as the typical "edgy/cool guy" of the group f13p4-ted-gives-jimmy-a-handy.jpg. After rewatching the scene I concur that they did WWE style "twin magic" and switched who they each were going after at the party.

• Like 1

They briefly touch on doing one of the other "...Goes to Space" movies. I really hope they can because Hellraiser: Bloodline is one of the first roles Adam Scott had. He's mentioned it briefly on either CBB or UTU2TM but it could be fun if it doesn't step on any toes.

I also hope they can get a chat on the mini with Todd Farmer, don't know him personally but I've followed him on Twitter for years and he seems like a genuinely nice dude.

Anyone finish Stranger Things 2 yet?

Hot Take

I thought it was mediocre compared to the first season

• Like 1

Hot Take

Almost done, but so far have really enjoyed the additions of Astin and Reiser.

Okay I see where the disconnect is. That's Paul she was trying to steal from his girlfriend 150full-clyde-hayes.jpg. Ted was going stag as the typical "edgy/cool guy" of the group f13p4-ted-gives-jimmy-a-handy.jpg. After rewatching the scene I concur that they did WWE style "twin magic" and switched who they each were going after at the party.

Yup, you’re right. I guess I got confused because Paul had been blatantly flirting with that one sister (sorry, I don’t know their names) in front of his girlfriend since the moment he met her. So when Jimmy says, “I thought you wanted to be with Ted” my mind automatically made the connection that “Ted” must be the dude he literally just saw her kissing and slow dancing with seconds before and not the shitty troll playing with matches on the couch that she’s been actively ignoring all night.

Perfect.

You see, I was stupidly assuming the movie had given her some agency. I had totally forgot that a couple of fuckwits had already claimed “dibs” on her behind her back and she was supposed to adhere to that arrangement.

(I am almost 100% on board for every motherfucker Jason kills in these movies.)

• Like 2

Almost done, but so far have really enjoyed the additions of Astin and Reiser.

Sean Astin was definitely my favorite addition.

• Like 1

Yup, you’re right. I guess I got confused because Paul had been blatantly flirting with that one sister (sorry, I don’t know their names) in front of his girlfriend since the moment he met her. So when Jimmy says, “I thought you wanted to be with Ted” my mind automatically made the connection that “Ted” must be the dude he literally just saw her kissing and slow dancing with seconds before and not the shitty troll playing with matches on the couch that she’s been actively ignoring all night.

Perfect.

You see, I was stupidly assuming the movie had given her some agency. I had totally forgot that a couple of fuckwits had already claimed “dibs” on her behind her back and she was supposed to adhere to that arrangement.

(I am almost 100% on board for every motherfucker Jason kills in these movies.)

Yeah I had to look again at the twins to see if there was a way to tell them apart, which ended up being their shirts, so I didn't catch the switch at first. And of course all the characters except for the Final Girl are supposed to be incredibly terrible and killable, since they basically represent the deadly sins. If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend The Final Girls starring Malin Ackerman and Taissa Farmiga about a group of people who get sucked up into a cult B-slasher that starred one of their moms. It doesn't play the satire as straight-faced as Cabin In the Woods, but is still amazing in how it breaks down the tropes of the genre, to the point they basically have to tie up the slutty counselor so she doesn't take her clothes off and in turn start the final act/massacre of the film. With this Friday film, I was honestly surprised that the first one killed was the smart girl of the group, because they made it appear as if she could have been the Final Girl for the film, especially since the only other actress who came close to non-shittiness was the female doctor. Also, if you haven't heard it, Pablo Francisco has a great bit about the stupidity of Friday kids and how they end up on the wrong end of a blade.

Sean Astin was definitely my favorite addition.

Yeah he was great in that my mom has dated guys like that who were that affable and truly trying to be my friend. Reiser I liked as he seemed to me that he could either be a total villain or a guy just having to do his job, unlike Matthew Modine was an uber asshole from the first time you saw him and you knew he was up to no good.

• Like 4

Yeah I had to look again at the twins to see if there was a way to tell them apart, which ended up being their shirts, so I didn't catch the switch at first. And of course all the characters except for the Final Girl are supposed to be incredibly terrible and killable, since they basically represent the deadly sins.

This has quickly become “the first 10 minutes of Sleepaway Camp” for me, so I think I’m going to bow out and leave the Horror movie analysis to the experts ;)

• Like 2

This has quickly become “the first 10 minutes of Sleepaway Camp” for me, so I think I’m going to bow out and leave the Horror movie analysis to the experts ;)

Oh Sleepaway Camp is easy, divorced dad is at beach with his kids and gay lover while his understanding sister, who is certifiably insane, is coming to meet them after she dropped her son off at a summer camp.

• Like 2

I think the real takeaway from 4 was that Crispin Glover has excellent bone structure and you'd be crazy not to hit it, candy stripe wallpaper blouses and other conventionally attractive boys aside.

• Like 3

If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend The Final Girls starring Malin Ackerman and Taissa Farmiga about a group of people who get sucked up into a cult B-slasher that starred one of their moms. It doesn't play the satire as straight-faced as Cabin In the Woods, but is still amazing in how it breaks down the tropes of the genre, to the point they basically have to tie up the slutty counselor so she doesn't take her clothes off and in turn start the final act/massacre of the film.

Just want to second the recommendation of Final Girls.

Hot Take

I thought it was mediocre compared to the first season

I'm not done with it because Mario Odyssey came out the same day and is amazing. But I agree fully with your hot take so far.

Paul Reiser's character makes the common mistake that Reese's Pieces are peanut butter and chocolate. I knew he was evil the second he said that.

• Like 1

I think the real takeaway from 4 was that Crispin Glover has excellent bone structure and you'd be crazy not to hit it, candy stripe wallpaper blouses and other conventionally attractive boys aside.

Maybe it's because i've only ever really known him from Back to the Future, but I agree, he was surprisingly handsome.

• Like 2

Correction: It's stated that Jason X was profitable since it had a budget of $11 million and made $16 million. But that doesn't mean that the studio made $5 million profit! Some of the $16 million went to the movie theaters' cut rather than back to the studio, and $11 million to make the movie doesn't include the expenses of distributing and marketing it. It's difficult to determine how much those costs are (with studios infamously using them to claim that even such mega-blockbusters as the same year's Spider-Man didn't make any profits to avoid contractual obligations to share them), but it's reasonable to assume that they added more than half of the original budget. And the ranks of movies that made more than their budget includes such infamous flops as The Lone Ranger (made $260 million, had a $215 million budget) and Waterworld (made $264 million, had a $175 million budget).

One very simple thing I don't recall anyone bringing up yet: why is the hologram programmed to create only 2 campers for Jason to kill? When buying time is of the essence, why not distract him with 20 or 200? Especially since 2002 was three years after a certain movie famously pushed the imaginative limits of cyberspace (and about two years since everyone else had ripped it off):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZi-wYarDs

With regard to the "he's screwed" pun not getting across what happened to the deceased to those who can't already see it, isn't that the point of action movie kill puns? As exemplfied by one of the legendary Schwarzenegger kill puns in Commando (but I repeat myself)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR9CdLV0xzU

where the whole point of the line is that Ahnuld needs to mislead the flight attendant so that she doesn't realize that the passenger in the next seat is still because he's actually dead, and not merely zonked from exhaustion. In the previous HDTGM movie The Running Man, Arnold's "he had to split" kill pun doesn't really explain what happened to the defeated foe, but the point is that he doesn't consider it worth the bother to do so.

(Then there's the kill pun in the Star Trek Voyager episode "Rise" in which the crew visits a giant "space elevator" that can move people between a planet and orbit. On the way up, the villain attempts to knock one of the Voyager crew off the elevator, explaining that the missing person "returned to the surface" ... only to have that very line used to describe his own eventual fate of actually free-falling to the planet just like Jason X!)

Maybe it's because i've only ever really known him from Back to the Future, but I agree, he was surprisingly handsome.

Ted Neely handsome?

• Like 2

Ted Neely handsome?

For me? In this movie? Definitely.

But you be the judge...

082fb50db0d63b7f0e89ae72499ab01a.jpg

5f46b629d02ad405c39df49c50ac08ee.jpg

(I can’t seem to find a better picture -lol)

• Like 4

I see your clip of the robot dance and shall raise you Crispin Glover's seizure-fu dance from Part IV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgj9tewHso

And just so you all understand, after he danced like THAT, he got laid as apparently chicks who lived in the woods have no taste or concept of good dancing.

To be fair, young Crispin Glover is seductive.

• Like 3

Yeah I had to look again at the twins to see if there was a way to tell them apart, which ended up being their shirts, so I didn't catch the switch at first. And of course all the characters except for the Final Girl are supposed to be incredibly terrible and killable, since they basically represent the deadly sins. If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend The Final Girls starring Malin Ackerman and Taissa Farmiga about a group of people who get sucked up into a cult B-slasher that starred one of their moms. It doesn't play the satire as straight-faced as Cabin In the Woods, but is still amazing in how it breaks down the tropes of the genre, to the point they basically have to tie up the slutty counselor so she doesn't take her clothes off and in turn start the final act/massacre of the film. With this Friday film, I was honestly surprised that the first one killed was the smart girl of the group, because they made it appear as if she could have been the Final Girl for the film, especially since the only other actress who came close to non-shittiness was the female doctor. Also, if you haven't heard it, Pablo Francisco has a great bit about the stupidity of Friday kids and how they end up on the wrong end of a blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgCnXIrjowA

Yeah he was great in that my mom has dated guys like that who were that affable and truly trying to be my friend. Reiser I liked as he seemed to me that he could either be a total villain or a guy just having to do his job, unlike Matthew Modine was an uber asshole from the first time you saw him and you knew he was up to no good.

Not just that but one of the twins has colored pants and the other has white pants.

"Final Girls" rules! Great horror homage in that movie.

Ted Neely handsome?

Slow down there. That's just crazy talk!

• Like 3