Jump to content


Episode 174 - Jason X: LIVE!


121 replies to this topic

#41 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostSeaSkunk, on 27 October 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Any theories on why the ants rebuilt him like that? And it raises some questions about whether they were not only able to rebuild the brain, but also the memories. Or does Jason just have a murdery brain? Nature vs Nurture.


Okay, lol, this sounds insane, but I thought what blonde doctor pulled out of his eye socket was his brain! I just figured he was just an avatar of evil and really didn’t have his own agency.

As for the ants, I just didn’t understand why all the future people weren’t upgraded like that. What makes Jason so special that he gets to be a cyborg?
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#42 ChunkStyle

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostCameron H., on 27 October 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Great ep, guys! I listened with my infant son. He loved your antics!

While I agree that Janessa’s demise was extremely grisly, my main issue with that scene was that Jason was able to punch a hole in a freaking spaceship! I honestly have no idea where Jason’s strength levels are at (especially after his nano-ant upgrade), but the strength it would take to punch through the hull of a futuristic, military spacecraft seems like it would have to be pretty considerable. So, yeah, sure he has the strength to wield a sleeping bag cudgel with relative ease, but it didn’t exactly come off as effortless, you know? And if the answer is “maybe the hull’s not that thick” then maybe the marines shouldn’t be firing off their weapons all willy-nilly.



Yes! The space marines being so stupid to fire their weapons inside the ship had me wondering what their purpose was in the first place. They wouldn't be needed on old Earth it is a dead planet what is going to attack the students there? And obviously there is no such thing as space piracy because if there was the marines would be prepared to deal with an intruder in a way that wouldn't cause catastrophic hull damage.

#43 PollyDarton

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

I really enjoyed this movie you guys. I know they mentioned that the people who wrote this had never seen a F13, but it seems to me that the WHOLE movie was written completely tongue-in-cheek to the point where it is only a few Kardashian jokes and sight gags away from being a "Scary Movie" installment... I mean seriously Jason is blasted awake/alive by the sheer proximity to people having sex. How fucking hilarious is that?

[Edit] It would not take much to re-cut this movie into a parody. NOT MUCH.

#44 Jrgolden42

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Long time listener, first time poster. Great episode.

I have two things. The first isn't related to the film itself but the trailer. I haven't found any positive confirmation on this online anywhere, but I am certain that the voiceover narrator for the trailer was Peter Cullen, aka the voice of Optimus Prime and Eeyore! Comparing the voice to this Transformers Armada promo from the same time period () really proves it to me. Cullen has a history of doing trailer voiceovers so it's not a huge surprise, but this is the first time I've heard him on the show.

Second, in the 2008 portion of the film, Cronenberg says that he wants to take Jason to their Scranton facility. This makes me with that the film had gone in a completely different direction. In this alternate take Cronenberg does take him to their facility in Scranton, PA, but Jason escapes. He makes his way to a business park in the city, that happens to be home of the Dunder-Mifflin paper company circa season 4 of The Office!

#45 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:23 PM

View Postjimkiler, on 27 October 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

The team talked about David Cronenberg being in this movie. But no one asked why was he in this movie. It does not make sense. Cronenberg made lots of horror movies but they always have an existential theme. Videodrome's message is that TV programs us, eXistenZ questioned what is reality, The Fly questioned death and disease so why would a director of substance be in a movie without any substance?.

Cronenberg has a weird history of cameos, made more so as he has made some snooty comments about various film genres like superhero and comic book adaptations, despite making one himself with A History of Violence. Not only did he appear in this one, he was the hitman in To Die For with Nicole Kidman, also had a cameo in the Tom Arnold megahit The Stupids.

View Postjimkiler, on 27 October 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:


Jason Goes to Hell (the best one, but i have not seen it in a whole time so don't quote me) starts off with an FBI sting to capture Jason and they circle him and shoot him dead and amazingly enough never have a friendly fire issue. The electrocution has not done except to ressurrect him at the beginning of 6 and there never was any courtroom or sentence. Sorry to dissappoint you.

Having just re-watched the entire franchise for my annual October horror film binge and they are my favorite horror franchise, they weren't completely circling Jason in the opening of Jason Goes to Hell, but rather a semicircle and then just unloaded on him, the scene did hold the Guinness record for most squibs used in a single scene for about a decade).

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 27 October 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

Are you counting the two Holodeck versions of the guys playing the game?

I was going off the F13 wikia and those two weren't counted, but neither were the millions in the space station that was blown up. Also, writer Todd Farmer upped the ante of his cameos as in both Drive Angry and My Bloody Valentine, he showed full frontal before being killed in both films.

One correction I have is about how Jason is revived by the nanites. When he is killed by the cyborg he knocks over the surgery table as he falls back and damages the system. The table then glitches and tries to revive him, but because he's all dead tissue and there's nothing readily available on the table to use in it's place it pulls material from the surrounding technology and furniture to rebuild him, making Uber Jason.

In regards to a Jason film in an urban area, Jason Takes Manhattan technically was that film, even though only the third act of the movie took place in the city. Jason in the snow was also going to be the plot setting for the cancelled F13 film that was supposed to come out this year but was shelved after Rings and Blair Witch tanked at the box office. As to Jason's apparent powers of teleportation and sneaking up on people, he really didn't develop those until he was resurrected in part 6. From parts 2-4, which take place over the course of a few weeks in the film timeline, was very human in how he acted, running after victims and sneaking around to attack but was fairly clumsy at times. After being completely killed in part four, he is resurrected two films later and that's when it seems like he can teleport at will or just appear behind a person since he's now a supernatural being. So much so that it's a part of the recent F13 game that was released this year, where he can teleport around the game map or zip around after victims or sneak up behind people.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#46 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

Also, the whole hologram Crystal Lake scene was basically them doing a Scream-esque nod to the camera about the tropes of the series it is a part of and how Jason always killed the kids who smoked dope or had sex everywhere. And as mentioned previously the sleeping bag kills were an homage to the scene from part 7 where he slammed a woman against a tree after she thought hiding in her sleeping bag would protect her.

2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#47 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

I have a crazy theory about this movie and I hope you bear with me. This movie is actually not a continuation of the Friday the 13th franchise as we know it, but rather an in universe Friday the 13th movie. In other words the people that live inside the world of Friday the 13th made this movie.

Okay, hear me out. As I've previously mentioned one of the more interesting things about the Friday the 13th movies is there is a sense of continuity and actions come around and aren't forgotten. Jason never cared about any particular weapon of his, he didn't care if people were having sex, and yes while he was made into a zombie in Jason Lives Friday the 13th Part VI he was never impervious to bullets with a regeneration factor. Up through to part XVIII Jason Takes Manhattan every movie Jason starts in the same location and state as he was left in the previous movie. Both Jason X and the prior film Jason Goes to Hell disregard this fact in addition to making up lore and abilities for Jason.

So if you lived in the Friday the 13th universe you'd be very well aware of who Jason was but as few who encountered him lived information about him would be spotty at best. Elements like his ability to survive injury, his strength, and his weapon of choice would be more wrapped up in legend than in reality. Not only does this explain why in these movies he's so out of character but how much more of a "movie" Jason X is. In all the prior films there were only a few lighter or intentional comical bits but in Jason X its dialogue is straight up comedic and certain scenes are definitely played for laughs. This being a "movie" would also explain the horrible 90s names, Alien and other movie and 20th century references and disregard for any knowledge of future technology. It would explain also why a 25th century space ship would look cheap and bare, like the set of a low budget Canadian movie.

So in one hand you have eight films and ten years of maintained detail and story that is consistent and films that produce thrills with very few comedic moments while in the other you have Jason X with its straight out comedic moments, unfamiliar characterization and numerous illogical elements. While it's easy to dismiss Jason X as just a bad movie it's more interesting to think of the meta nature that this is how people in a Friday the 13 universe view the urban legend known as Jason.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#48 gelsol

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

View PostCameron H., on 27 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

Okay, lol, this sounds insane, but I thought what blonde doctor pulled out of his eye socket was his brain! I just figured he was just an avatar of evil and really didn’t have his own agency.

As for the ants, I just didn’t understand why all the future weren’t upgraded like that. What makes Jason so special that he gets to be a cyborg?


I think the computer system that regenerates body parts just made an educated guess based of the body matter. The hockey mask is essentially a part of Jason at this point, so that figured in the regeneration, hence the armor.

#49 muttnik

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:35 AM

So that Halloween tagline and the fact that the trailer uses that Drowning Pool song, I'm guessing this was supposed to come out in October of 2001 but was shelved after 9/11? That song was one of the many kept off radio play lists after the attacks, and I don't remember any heavy or horror movies coming out the rest of that year. I know studios push movie dates around all the time, but I can't imagine them wanting to release a movie where a spacecraft crashes into and obliterates a space station full of people so soon after.

#50 muttnik

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:14 AM

View Postdickhoff3, on 27 October 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'm having a slow work day an I'm hooked on this Friday the 13th wiki. I think maybe you guys were a little hard on poor Kane Hodder. He clearly has a soft spot for children and animals - guy just needs to make a buck after being left out of Freddy vs. Jason. Here's an interesting bit I just read regarding Jason Vorhees's feelings on killing children or animals:

Whatever his motivations, Kane Hodder believes there is a limit to what he will do. According to Hodder, Jason might violently murder any person he comes across, but when Jason Takes Manhattan called for Hodder to kick the lead character's dog, Hodder refused, stating that, while Jason has no qualms against killing humans, he is not bad enough to hurt animals. Another example from Jason Takes Manhattan, involves Jason being confronted by a street gang of young teenage boys one of whom threatens him with a knife, however Jason chooses not to kill them and instead scares them off by lifting up his mask and showing them his face. Likewise, director Tom McLoughlin chose not to have Jason harm any of the children he encounters in Jason Lives, stating that Jason would not kill a child, out of a sympathy for the plight of children generated by his own death as a child.


So this has never been my favorite horror franchise, but I've seen each one so many times I have a soft spot for them.* I’ve honestly always felt that you're supposed to sympathize with Jason. Unlike serial murdered and possible molester Freddy, or super messed up cult kid Michael Myers, Jason was just a happy, developmentally challenged boy who went swimming at the summer camp his mother worked at and drowned because the teens who were supposed to be watching him were too busy necking to notice. Now, his mother going HAM and killing the first group of teens/twentysomethings to come back to the camp to reopen it was definitely not okay. And how his mother’s death caused his unrested soul to enter the body of a fully-grown undead man will always be a mystery, but he was kind of protecting that lake from further needless child death. He always went after the teens and adults, who with very few exceptions were lousy people. I think in the sixth installment there’s a big to do over him possibly hurting the children at the camp, but other than scaring them I don’t remember him hurting any.** And he was pretty lukewarm to Tommy in the fourth movie, it was only when Tommy aged up that he became an issue. And Child Jason pops up numerous times to help the Final Teens and be at odds with Adult Hell Vessel Jason. I think in his own weird way Jason was making sure no child ever died again on Crystal Lake, and in his mind adults and teens would always be a threat.

*Not for this one though, it totally looks and sounds like a budget CW show and I was happy to hear Paul agree.
**I could be wrong; it’s been a while since I’ve seen that one.

#51 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:08 AM

View Postgelsol, on 28 October 2017 - 01:18 AM, said:

I think the computer system that regenerates body parts just made an educated guess based of the body matter. The hockey mask is essentially a part of Jason at this point, so that figured in the regeneration, hence the armor.

While your theory is sound the giant blast he takes to the head basically destroys the entire mask which begs the question how did the bugs know he was wearing a mask? There is a little left but if these things can figure out from a tiny scrap that he was wearing some 400 year old form of protection, why didn't they rebuild that instead of uploading him?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#52 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:22 AM

View Postmuttnik, on 28 October 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:


So this has never been my favorite horror franchise, but I've seen each one so many times I have a soft spot for them.* I’ve honestly always felt that you're supposed to sympathize with Jason. Unlike serial murdered and possible molester Freddy, or super messed up cult kid Michael Myers, Jason was just a happy, developmentally challenged boy who went swimming at the summer camp his mother worked at and drowned because the teens who were supposed to be watching him were too busy necking to notice. Now, his mother going HAM and killing the first group of teens/twentysomethings to come back to the camp to reopen it was definitely not okay. And how his mother’s death caused his unrested soul to enter the body of a fully-grown undead man will always be a mystery, but he was kind of protecting that lake from further needless child death. He always went after the teens and adults, who with very few exceptions were lousy people. I think in the sixth installment there’s a big to do over him possibly hurting the children at the camp, but other than scaring them I don’t remember him hurting any.** And he was pretty lukewarm to Tommy in the fourth movie, it was only when Tommy aged up that he became an issue. And Child Jason pops up numerous times to help the Final Teens and be at odds with Adult Hell Vessel Jason. I think in his own weird way Jason was making sure no child ever died again on Crystal Lake, and in his mind adults and teens would always be a threat.

*Not for this one though, it totally looks and sounds like a budget CW show and I was happy to hear Paul agree.
**I could be wrong; it’s been a while since I’ve seen that one.

It's been awhile since I watched them all as well, but you're right. From what I recall after being resurrected at the start of VII his body was buried elsewhere and he's making his way back to Camp Crystal Lake which has been renamed and reopened. So at the end when he shows up at camp there are kids there and they are scared but he is clearly going after the camp counselors.

Now if I remember correctly everybody thought he drowned but he survived and started living in the woods as a hermit. Then as an adult he witnesses his mother being murdered and then we get the Jason we know. The whole kid at jumping out of the water is revealed in the beginning of Part 2 to be in her head. Basically his MO really is protect the area around the lake from teenagers and to some extent adults. Who can blame him though? I mean he was picked on by them, nearly drowned by them and he didn't know his mom was murdering them so to him they also murdered his mom. Who can blame him for acting out?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#53 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

You know what’s an insane profession to choose if your goal in life is to be a “rich sonuvabitch?” College professor.

Also, when Doig runs down the absurd list of ways that they’ve tried to execute Jason, the professor gives her, quite possibly, the most ridiculous response I've ever heard. Since nothing could kill him, she tells him that they decided to put him into cryostasis, to which he casually responds “seems sensible.” Really, bro? You don’t have, like, any questions you might want to ask? Like maybe, “Holy Crap, that’s insane! Why couldn’t he be killed” or even a “What IS Jason?”
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#54 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:52 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 28 October 2017 - 03:22 AM, said:

It's been awhile since I watched them all as well, but you're right. From what I recall after being resurrected at the start of VII his body was buried elsewhere and he's making his way back to Camp Crystal Lake which has been renamed and reopened. So at the end when he shows up at camp there are kids there and they are scared but he is clearly going after the camp counselors.

Now if I remember correctly everybody thought he drowned but he survived and started living in the woods as a hermit. Then as an adult he witnesses his mother being murdered and then we get the Jason we know. The whole kid at jumping out of the water is revealed in the beginning of Part 2 to be in her head. Basically his MO really is protect the area around the lake from teenagers and to some extent adults. Who can blame him though? I mean he was picked on by them, nearly drowned by them and he didn't know his mom was murdering them so to him they also murdered his mom. Who can blame him for acting out?

Jason is meant to be more sympathetic than the other killers in various franchises, solely for starting as a handicapped kid who was thought killed via negligence. He was pushed into the lake but bullies while the two counselors were meant to be watching him were off having sex, causing Pamela Voorhees to snap. He someone survived and because he was a model camper, as shown in the reboot, he thrived in the wilderness with the survival skills he learned at camp, only to see his mother decapitated. He then takes up her cause of seeing the park stay closed so that nothing like what happened to him happens to another child.

As for the story of Kane Hodder and the kid, I can almost guarantee you that him charging 20 bucks was him being incredibly nice to the kid. In many instances at these conventions the biggest names are always paid in advance, so any money they are charging for autographs or photos are price set by the company who hired them in order to recoup their cost and make some profit hopefully. And at a horror convention, Hodder would be THE top-tier name, so he would cost probably 75-100 for a photo/autograph combo. When I met Robert Englund at one of these I think I paid 85 for a combo with him, so for the kid to get a photo with the most famous actor to play Jason Voorhees at 20 dollars was definitely a nice guy thing on Hodder's part.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#55 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:07 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 28 October 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:


Jason is meant to be more sympathetic than the other killers in various franchises, solely for starting as a handicapped kid who was thought killed via negligence. He was pushed into the lake but bullies while the two counselors were meant to be watching him were off having sex, causing Pamela Voorhees to snap. He someone survived and because he was a model camper, as shown in the reboot, he thrived in the wilderness with the survival skills he learned at camp, only to see his mother decapitated. He then takes up her cause of seeing the park stay closed so that nothing like what happened to him happens to another child.

As for the story of Kane Hodder and the kid, I can almost guarantee you that him charging 20 bucks was him being incredibly nice to the kid. In many instances at these conventions the biggest names are always paid in advance, so any money they are charging for autographs or photos are price set by the company who hired them in order to recoup their cost and make some profit hopefully. And at a horror convention, Hodder would be THE top-tier name, so he would cost probably 75-100 for a photo/autograph combo. When I met Robert Englund at one of these I think I paid 85 for a combo with him, so for the kid to get a photo with the most famous actor to play Jason Voorhees at 20 dollars was definitely a nice guy thing on Hodder's part.


Or he could have said, “Great costume young child! You look adorable. How’s your day going?” and maybe waived the fee or covered it himself....
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#56 The_Triple_Lindy

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:10 AM

View Postdickhoff3, on 27 October 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

It's possible that in this movie, every character apart from Alexa Doig were actually really realistic sex cyborgs/robots that have revolted, killed off humanity and continued civilization, just made it a whole lot sexier. Would explain why they're so horny and wear such little clothes, all part of their programming.

View PostSeaSkunk, on 27 October 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Any theories on why the ants rebuilt him like that? And it raises some questions about whether they were not only able to rebuild the brain, but also the memories. Or does Jason just have a murdery brain? Nature vs Nurture.

View PostCameron H., on 27 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

As for the ants, I just didn’t understand why all the future people weren’t upgraded like that. What makes Jason so special that he gets to be a cyborg?

Could it be that the nanobugs rebuilt him as a cyborg because, as dickhoff suggested, everyone in the future has already been replaced by sexbots, and therefore rebuilt Jason out of metal because the machine was calibrated to rebuild sexbots?

#57 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 28 October 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:




Could it be that the nanobugs rebuilt him as a cyborg because, as dickhoff suggested, everyone in the future has already been replaced by sexbots, and therefore rebuilt Jason out of metal because the machine was calibrated to rebuild sexbots?


This makes sense to me.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#58 jimkiler

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

View PostNutRumpus, on 27 October 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the sleeping bag kill in this movie is a reference to Friday the 13th Part VII, where he kills a girl by bashing her against a tree while she's in a sleeping bag.

View PostSeaSkunk, on 27 October 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:


The sleeping bag kill was my favorite part. I love sleeping bags. More people should have premarital sex or be killed in them.

From IMDB:


Too bad HDTGM did not realize this was a funny scene that poked fun of the whole Friday the 13th franchise and was the kind of joke that i would expect in a good movie like Scream. Without the context of watching the prior movies where Jason preyed upon horny teenagers this scene was lost on our favorite podcast hosts. It really is the only good thing in a bad movie and if the writer never watched any prior movies i highly doubt he would have been the one to write that scene in the script.

#59 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

The ship they are on, Grendel, is described by the professor as a "catamaran type transport vessel" but I ask you this what are they transporting? Are they just transporting people? There are a half dozen or so soldiers, a half dozen or so students, one professor, one engineer and one pilot. Seems small for such a large ship. Also why are the soldiers even there? They didn't go down on the planet with them for protection, so are they just hitching a ride? Is space piracy a thing they need to protect against? Also why does a transport vessel have numerous medical labs and armories?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#60 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

It seems insane to me, that in the future, humanity will have the ingenuity and wherewithal to develop a self-sustaining space station like Solaris, yet not have a single contingency plan in place to protect itself from “deadly spaceship collisions.” Honestly, if a spaceship the size of Grendel is getting too close, and doesn't show any signs of slowing down, they should be well within their rights to blow that shit right out of the space-sky.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)