Jump to content


Episode 174.5 - Minisode 174.5


72 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

    Earwolf Buddy

  • Administrators
  • 5,204 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

A missing movie, how to tell your co-worker to stop whistling, and much more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Jason X, opens up the Mail Bag, gives us his Pick of the Week, and the Movie Bitches review Girls Trip. Plus, you’ll find out which movie we will be covering next!


Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 Elektra Boogaloo

    Mistress of All Agonies

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

I don't believe Paul's "story" about his flip flop on his website!

#3 EvRobert

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

My first C&O! And Paul mispronounced my name!

#4 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 03 November 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

I don't believe Paul's "story" about his flip flop on his website!


Neither do I! The guy is up then down, left then right. “We don’t do Physics on our show!” then awards C&O of the week to a post dealing with physics. I don’t know if this guy is coming or going...
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#5 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

Regarding the call from the "helpful" friend who was making dinner for her friend after the birth of her child, obviously I don't know exactly how close she is with her friend, but if her friend is telling her "she doesn't have to do that anymore" I would suspect that she should respect that and take a step back.

According to the caller, this baby is only a month old and they also have a toddler. With the birth of both of my kids (5 and 1) there was definitely a period of adjustment where you just want to get to know the new member of your family. We didn't even want immediate family members to come by. It was our time to bond as a family and we didn't need or want some interloper butting in. I know you think you're helping, and to some extent you are, but the fact of the matter is, when you come over, it means we now have to make sure the house is clean and doesn't smell like baby poop. It means, even though we've only had a couple hours of sleep, we have to fix ourselves up. And you can say, "well you don't have to clean yourself up, I'm your friend." Well, fuck you because YOU might be fine with us looking and smelling like a couple of homeless heroin addicts, but WE aren't. And you can say, "Well, your house may be a little untidy, but I understand." No, you don't. It might look "a little untidy" to you, but that was because we used the last of our strength to make it look somewhat presentable.

The caller even said something to the effect of "when I come over the toddler has been put to sleep and the baby goes down soon after so we can have a good time." In other words, she's saying that as soon as the two children are asleep, and the parents can finally get some quiet time, they now have to entertain your sorry ass. I'm sure they'd much rather do that than, I don't know, maybe get some much needed sleep.

And this is all just from my cushy perspective as the father, never mind what the mother might be (and probably still is) going through! After only a month, she's most likely she's still feeling a lot of the pain from labor. Her body has gone through an incredibly painful and traumatic event and it takes awhile to recover from that. Shit, she's still got stitches for Christ's sake! Not to mention if she's suffering from postpartum or something.

The fact of the matter is, newborns do three things: they sleep, they poop, and they eat. They're really not all that hard to take care of. In fact, her presence is probably keeping the baby awake! Toddler's are much harder to take care of, and the caller said she doesn't even get there until the toddler is ASLEEP!

All we as parents want is a little peace and quiet. If that means we end up living in filth and eating shitty food for a couple weeks, then so be it. And, if the mother has a decent enough partner, it won't even come to that.* They are adults who have had a child already. They've got this. Back the fuck off.

*If this is a single mother situation or the partner is a deadbeat, some of this might need to be amended. Regardless, and I can't stress this enough, STOP COMING OVER WHEN THE KIDS ARE ASLEEP! THAT'S WHEN WE SLEEP!
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#6 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

This has nothing to do with the mini, but I question I want some Americans to answer to satisfy my curiosity.

Last night I went to see Thor Ragnarok in theaters and is the case with any super hero movie on opening night the theater is majority foreigners. In Japan they don't let you into the theater until 10 minutes before the movie starts and about 7 or 8 minutes before the movie starts they start to play a short pre-packed combination of mini-trailers, some "here's what's coming soon" information, and some random short animations usually. Then once it's show time the lights go down you get a few full length commercials and trailers plus a manners reminder. So again I'm surrounded by foreigners and one of them says to their friend, "why is this on before the trailers?" His friend replies "Don't they do this in America?" and he responses "No, we'd never do this. You get trailers when the movie starts and that's it."

Now, that seems true to when I was a kid but the last time I saw a movie in North America was about seven years ago and I definitely recall watching commercials and that while waiting for the movie to start. Has this changed this? Is that guy right? What plays before movies where you're from?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#7 taylor anne photo

    A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 03 November 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Now, that seems true to when I was a kid but the last time I saw a movie in North America was about seven years ago and I definitely recall watching commercials and that while waiting for the movie to start. Has this changed this? Is that guy right? What plays before movies where you're from?

Idk where that guy has been for the last two decades but he's wrong as fuuuck.

Depending on the theater chain they do some "Inside Look" shit before the trailers, some others do music videos, and then some just play music while they put trivia or local ads on the screen. But 100% every theater I've been to in the last 17 years in my memory has had this.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#8 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 03 November 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:


Idk where that guy has been for the last two decades but he's wrong as fuuuck.


Agreed! That guy is so wrong he might actually be an alien trying to pass as human. (He’s failing - hard)
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#9 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

That's what I thought. Some people are just weird. Though Cameron H has a very plausible theory.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#10 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 03 November 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

I don't believe Paul's "story" about his flip flop on his website!


View PostCameron H., on 03 November 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:


Neither do I! The guy is up then down, left then right. “We don’t do Physics on our show!” then awards C&O of the week to a post dealing with physics. I don’t know if this guy is coming or going...


On a related note:

“We aren’t going to pick a movie people can’t get anywhere!”

*Cameron H. does a Google search for Freejack.*

Posted Image
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#11 The_Triple_Lindy

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostCameron H., on 03 November 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

On a related note:

“We aren’t going to pick a movie people can’t get anywhere!”

*Cameron H. does a Google search for Freejack.*

Posted Image


Here's a link:

http://123hulu.com/w...b-freejack.html

This is a horribly buggy site, and basically the whole screen becomes a banner ad, but the movie is there.

#12 The_Triple_Lindy

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 03 November 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Now, that seems true to when I was a kid but the last time I saw a movie in North America was about seven years ago and I definitely recall watching commercials and that while waiting for the movie to start. Has this changed this? Is that guy right? What plays before movies where you're from?

How I wish I lived in a world where literally everything isn't a commercial. Let us bask, for a moment, in your fellow movie patrons' innocence. I'd like to visit that Osaka place ... if only it were real ...

Posted Image

But I have only fleeting memories of a time when commercials were frontloaded onto any movie, in any venue or format ... even most of my old VHS tapes have ads on them. In fact, Cracked did a video recently that pins the advent of all of that on the Top Gun VHS:


#13 grudlian.

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 03 November 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Now, that seems true to when I was a kid but the last time I saw a movie in North America was about seven years ago and I definitely recall watching commercials and that while waiting for the movie to start. Has this changed this? Is that guy right? What plays before movies where you're from?

Finally, something I am an expert on. I've worked in the theatre industry since 1999 (until next week when I start my new job!!!!).

We definitely play commercials before movies. That started, in my area at least, around the summer of 2000 or so. What this guy might have meant is the order being different. Commercials typically start before the advertised show time and trailers play after the advertised show time. If this person always shows up late, it's theoretically possible he's never seen a proper commercial. But even then, there is, for most theatre chains, still an ad for Coke immediately before the show.

Some independent theatres or small chains may not do this. I've only been to one theatre in the last 20 years that doesn't have commercials but it's super independent and only plays older films.

#14 PollyDarton

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostCameron H., on 03 November 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Regarding the call from the "helpful" friend who was making dinner for her friend after the birth of her child, obviously I don't know exactly how close she is with her friend, but if her friend is telling her "she doesn't have to do that anymore" I would suspect that she should respect that and take a step back.

According to the caller, this baby is only a month old and they also have a toddler. With the birth of both of my kids (5 and 1) there was definitely a period of adjustment where you just want to get to know the new member of your family. We didn't even want immediate family members to come by. It was our time to bond as a family and we didn't need or want some interloper butting in. I know you think you're helping, and to some extent you are, but the fact of the matter is, when you come over, it means we now have to make sure the house is clean and doesn't smell like baby poop. It means, even though we've only had a couple hours of sleep, we have to fix ourselves up. And you can say, "well you don't have to clean yourself up, I'm your friend." Well, fuck you because YOU might be fine with us looking and smelling like a couple of homeless heroin addicts, but WE aren't. And you can say, "Well, your house may be a little untidy, but I understand." No, you don't. It might look "a little untidy" to you, but that was because we used the last of our strength to make it look somewhat presentable.

The caller even said something to the effect of "when I come over the toddler has been put to sleep and the baby goes down soon after so we can have a good time." In other words, she's saying that as soon as the two children are asleep, and the parents can finally get some quiet time, they now have to entertain your sorry ass. I'm sure they'd much rather do that than, I don't know, maybe get some much needed sleep.

And this is all just from my cushy perspective as the father, never mind what the mother might be (and probably still is) going through! After only a month, she's most likely she's still feeling a lot of the pain from labor. Her body has gone through an incredibly painful and traumatic event and it takes awhile to recover from that. Shit, she's still got stitches for Christ's sake! Not to mention if she's suffering from postpartum or something.

The fact of the matter is, newborns do three things: they sleep, they poop, and they eat. They're really not all that hard to take care of. In fact, her presence is probably keeping the baby awake! Toddler's are much harder to take care of, and the caller said she doesn't even get there until the toddler is ASLEEP!

All we as parents want is a little peace and quiet. If that means we end up living in filth and eating shitty food for a couple weeks, then so be it. And, if the mother has a decent enough partner, it won't even come to that.* They are adults who have had a child already. They've got this. Back the fuck off.

*If this is a single mother situation or the partner is a deadbeat, some of this might need to be amended. Regardless, and I can't stress this enough, STOP COMING OVER WHEN THE KIDS ARE ASLEEP! THAT'S WHEN WE SLEEP!


Posted Image
Right on brother.

#15 PollyDarton

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 03 November 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Now, that seems true to when I was a kid but the last time I saw a movie in North America was about seven years ago and I definitely recall watching commercials and that while waiting for the movie to start. Has this changed this? Is that guy right? What plays before movies where you're from?


Yes I will join in and say the American movie theater experience is just like sitting a watching a giant TV before the movie comes on. It's usually commercials, commercials disguised as short films, commercials for TV shows, "Turn off your cellphone" comedy bits, and then a little digital welcome video that advertises popcorn and stuff. Then about 5 or 6 trailers?

#16 Cameron H.

    This Charming Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 03 November 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:


Here's a link:

http://123hulu.com/w...b-freejack.html

This is a horribly buggy site, and basically the whole screen becomes a banner ad, but the movie is there.


Thanks, Lindy. I'm still going to make fun of Paul for being a big, Hollywood fake-o, though ;)
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#17 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 03 November 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

Finally, something I am an expert on. I've worked in the theatre industry since 1999 (until next week when I start my new job!!!!).

If I may ask are the ads there to offset the costs? As I said I remember this not being the case as a kid, so in recent years has the amount of money a theater makes off a movie gone down and they need to offset that by showing ads?
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#18 grudlian.

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 03 November 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

If I may ask are the ads there to offset the costs? As I said I remember this not being the case as a kid, so in recent years has the amount of money a theater makes off a movie gone down and they need to offset that by showing ads?

The answer is a bit above my pay grade. I'm not necessarily privy to how much we make off of an individual movie. I'll say it varies movie to movie, week to week. Deals are made all the time by a film booker (I'm just a manager). The most I typically see film rental being high or low. That information is not really applicable to my daily job. So, I don't look into it and I'm sure higher ups wouldn't give me exact figures anyway. I don't know if we, on average, make less than we used to.

I assume what happened is someone suddenly realized we had people passively looking at a blank screen and more money. Its another revenue stream but I don't know if it's to offset loss of income.

When I started we had a slide projector running slides with ads before the movie. You might remember dumb trivia questions or rearrange the letters to the name of a movie or actor. These slides typically had ads already. You're reading movie trivia but its brought to you by Coke or some other company. So ads of some kind have been on movies since at least the mid 1990s.

Eventually tech just got better making this possible or just easier to put videos instead of slides.

View PostCameron H., on 03 November 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:




On a related note:

“We aren’t going to pick a movie people can’t get anywhere!”

*Cameron H. does a Google search for Freejack.*

Posted Image

Freejack might be the hardest to find yet. At least Virtuosity and Garbage Pail Kids were on YouTube. I can't find Freejack on Netflix's DVD shipping or my library even. Used DVDs are on sale on Amazon. That's all I've found outside of piracy.

#19 EvRobert

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s, my little town I grew up in (about 6000 people) opened up a second movie theater, and they started doing local ads. You know "shop Ma & Pa's Corner Grocery" "For a great burger go to Al's Drive-In" and then it became a Coke commercial with the "trivia questions" (Batman's sidekick is...) with a coke commercial, then BMW or something along with coke and so on and so on. Now all I see are national commercials.

#20 EvRobert

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 03 November 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:


But I have only fleeting memories of a time when commercials were frontloaded onto any movie, in any venue or format ... even most of my old VHS tapes have ads on them. In fact, Cracked did a video recently that pins the advent of all of that on the Top Gun VHS:



I have memories of VHS tapes with "Stay tuned after the movie for upcoming releases"