🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 24 Reefer Madness

b79nr8w.gif

And Girls, of course

Give me a couple of hours and I'll post my views about "Reefer Madness"

In the meantime, were any of you shown any AntiDrug PSAs/Movies when you were in high school??? I'm dying to know

The only video that they played for us more than 15 years ago was the french film The Red Balloon for psychology class

5f11e099925095f59e958e807c939975674d03e0_hq.gif

BRB

Hey Max, great to have you back! Are you settled in Spain already?

I’m sure I watch some PSA’s, but I must have blocked them out. The only one I have any real memory of is the Helen Hunt PCP one and that’s just through cultural osmosis.

• Like 4

b79nr8w.gif

And Girls, of course

Give me a couple of hours and I'll post my views about "Reefer Madness"

In the meantime, were any of you shown any AntiDrug PSAs/Movies when you were in high school??? I'm dying to know

The only video that they played for us more than 15 years ago was the french film The Red Balloon for psychology class

5f11e099925095f59e958e807c939975674d03e0_hq.gif

BRB

Welcome back!

The only anti drug PSA I remember is the one with the eggs, and even that is a little fuzzy because the two version I pulled up on youtube don't match with what I remember.

• Like 5

Welcome back!

Welcome back!

Hey Max, great to have you back! Are you settled in Spain already?

Thank you SaraK, Thank you Cinco DeNio and Thank you Cameron

I'm getting there, I have a lot of chores and documents to sort out and Wednesday 15 next week I get to go to my Italian grandmother's place in Licusati, Italy and I'll be back again in Spain December 5th

I'll be in touch but if I tell you in advance or I'm not here to post my 2nd M.M. pick please swap me to the next week... If its not too much to ask ;)

P.S.: Was Cinco DeNio screen name Cinco DeNiro at some point or am I imagining things??? (by that I mean read it wrong all this time) :P

• Like 3

Welcome back, Max. What city in Spain did you move to if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 3

Welcome back, Max. What city in Spain did you move to if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you tomspanks

I'm in Madrid... And so far It's awesome, and better than I expected! It's like Paris and New York (both cities I have visited #humblebrag) combined where most of the people speak spanish but also many other languages as well... (There may be some of Rome in it as well but I can't "compare notes" cuz I went there like 20 years ago and IMHO Rome mantains more old OLD Architecture that is unique and sticks out as more old historic than old modern... I'm mini-rambling Is close to 2am local time ;) and Jimmy just left the Diner/Shake Shop and entered the Reefer Den where he is having a Drug Trip/ Musical Number and I'm only halfway)

• Like 6

I was subjected to the DARE program, not many PSAs though.

I do remember Life Stories: Families in Crisis. Perhaps best known for Ben Affleck's performance as a steroid abuser

1c12a340-2ffe-0133-5b31-0aecee5a8273.gif?w=320

(I don't think he killed that cat, although I recall being worried that he might).

• Like 4

P.S.: Was Cinco DeNio screen name Cinco DeNiro at some point or am I imagining things??? (by that I mean read it wrong all this time) :P

I think you're on a contact high from the movie. No, it was never Cinco DeNiro but I get DeNiro from time to time. (Never figured out how to make that work for me.) It has to be Cinco DeNio because it rhymes with Cinco de Mayo, the Mexican holiday.

As for your screen name, I apologize for not posting the appropriate image when I said Welcome Back! Allow me to correct that mistake.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Speaking of Jesus, I will ask people to be on the honor system and not look it up. Jesus was in a previous MM selection. Does he look familiar? (It was NOT Jesus Christ Superstar but it should have been.) If no one gets it overnight I'll post the answer tomorrow.

I recognize him from Law & Order (? ... or some-such legal procedural).

Yes! I was shown a ton of them in middle school because our guidance counselor was kinda crazy and close to retirement and over the whole "working hard" thing. The one that springs to mind is called "Cracked Up":

https://archive.org/...pClosedCaptions

I remember this specifically because he prefaced his screening of this movie with a diatribe about how people do drugs like these because they make you feel really good.

• Like 3

I really dig this flick. I agree that the movie goes on just a bit longer than it should, but most musicals feel that way to me. But at some point, it just starts to feel like an extended fantasy scene from That 70's Show. Still, I laughed a lot and the music was decent.

Random notes:

1. Were we really still giving Steven Weber a shot in 2005? I thought we'd cashed in by now ...

2. It dawned on me while watching this that I've never disliked Kristen Bell in anything I've seen her in. (Full disclosure: I've never seen Veronica Mars, but The Good Place is forking awesome. But does anyone remember her crazy, over-the-top character in Deadwood? Where she's so crazy that the other characters are all like, "I know she's only been around for a couple of days, but it's clear that she's nuts ... we should just go ahead and kill her, right?") Anyway, I thought she was great in this.

3. I want a gif of Ana Gasteyer covered in blood ripping out Steven Weber's heart. Somebody please make it for me.

4. Alan Cumming is EVERYWHERE!

5. I LOVE when the electric chair is played for laughs, like in Bugs Bunny or The Green Mile.

6. The whole town would've gotten so high when Jimmy torched those weed plants.

• Like 4

I really dig this flick. I agree that the movie goes on just a bit longer than it should, but most musicals feel that way to me. But at some point, it just starts to feel like an extended fantasy scene from That 70's Show. Still, I laughed a lot and the music was decent.

Random notes:

1. Were we really still giving Steven Weber a shot in 2005? I thought we'd cashed in by now ...

2. It dawned on me while watching this that I've never disliked Kristen Bell in anything I've seen her in. (Full disclosure: I've never seen Veronica Mars, but The Good Place is forking awesome. But does anyone remember her crazy, over-the-top character in Deadwood? Where she's so crazy that the other characters are all like, "I know she's only been around for a couple of days, but it's clear that she's nuts ... we should just go ahead and kill her, right?") Anyway, I thought she was great in this.

3. I want a gif of Ana Gasteyer covered in blood ripping out Steven Weber's heart. Somebody please make it for me.

5. I LOVE when the electric chair is played for laughs, like in Bugs Bunny or The Green Mile.

well to be fair to Steven Weber he was only a year or two away from Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip...

• Like 4

Yes! I felt this was a real missed opportunity!

• Like 3

Sorry for jumping in late but been very sick the last two days and spent most of my free time sleeping or coughing or blowing my nose.

First off, Welcome back Max. I might have missed you again though.

Second, I kinda agree with a lot of what has been said. I enjoyed the movie but it could have been shortened. I liked that they used Alan Cummings character as a narrator, but was the PTA suppose to serve as like a Greek chorus? That aspect of it all just didn't seem to work. They should have had Alan Cummings be like the Amazing Criswell and introduce the film to the audience and he could still serve as a narrator. My biggest complaint with this film was just lack of historical accuracy. I know it's very nitpicky to say but the film has several anachronistic jokes or references which could easily have been changed to fit the late 30s better. Then again that might make it a different kind of film. Overall it was light and fun though with some good laughs.

As far as Max's question goes, I remember being made to watch a lot of them throughout my schooling, along with the odd TV spot. The only really big anti-drug one I remember is Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue in which the biggest cartoons of the 80s stop a kid from doing drugs. However I am reminded of this PSA that use to show on Canadian TV when I was a kid that might be a good idea to be shown in American in these recent years:

• Like 4

I do like this PSA a lot. In it, Captain Lou Albano (dressed as Super Mario) tells his demographic that if they do drugs they’ll “go to Hell before [they] die.”

• Like 4

Just for giggles:

He gives this likes when he says they “can kill” that gives me shivers.

• Like 3

Just for giggles:

http://youtu.be/Nio0GOmsuSI

He gives this likes when he says they “can kill” that gives me shivers.

I want to see the kid who picks up a bowie knife as is like "hey this isn't sharp, no way this could hurt us."

• Like 3

I want to see the kid who picks up a bowie knife as is like "hey this isn't sharp, no way this could hurt us."

That’s what made me laugh, too. I get guns, but “Hey man, let me just stab you a little - it ain’t sharp” is hilarious.

• Like 3

That’s what made me laugh, too. I get guns, but “Hey man, let me just stab you a little - it ain’t sharp” is hilarious.

So now we need KARE in schools to go along with DARE?

• Like 2

"Just the tip"

• Like 1

I swear I planned to watch this Sunday and last night but I keep getting distracted by binging Bojack Horseman. I promise sometime this week I'll join up in the conversation!

• Like 3

Random notes:

Steven Weber was in the show iZombie last year as a ludicrous evil guy making zombies from energy drinks. So this felt very similar to me.

tumblr_onuf1qU57B1qgnqg7o7_250.gif

And I completely agree the town would have gotten high - I seriously thought that's where it was going.

• Like 5

Speaking of Jesus, I will ask people to be on the honor system and not look it up. Jesus was in a previous MM selection. Does he look familiar? (It was NOT Jesus Christ Superstar but it should have been.) If no one gets it overnight I'll post the answer tomorrow.

Since it's almost noon Eastern it's time for the answer.

You've seen Jesus as Mr. Downtown himself, Freddy Fredrickson!

24.jpg?resize=600:*

He's also been in the Disney universe, in the Suite Life shows. (A sort-of tie-in to the HSM discussion.)

suite30.jpg

• Like 6

I recognize him from Law & Order (? ... or some-such legal procedural).

He was on Criminal Minds earlier this year. Good job!

• Like 2

Much like taylor anne photo I wabt to join the conversation ASAP I did finish watching the Reffer Madness musical but I had to delay my note taking and subsequent posting of those notes because....

Today I went to an early Early Screening/Spanish Premiere of...

THE DISASTER ARTIST

OMG! It was soooooooo good and Paul gets all the oscars in MY book!!! (An Im not even being biased)

June and Jason kicked serious butt as well and on top of everythin I gives y'all an "excuse" to rewatch the room and relisten to HDTGM's Room Directors Edition Ep

P.S.: Stay until the very end of the credits ala Marvel

On the opening logos enjoy the NEW Point Gray logo

I'm writing from my cellphone and thats when I have the worst typos and I hard for me to attach photos... I'll do it as soon as I can as well as giving my opinion on Reefer Madness Cross My Heart and hope to cry ;-)

P.P.S.: Thank you for letting me hijack this thread for this post only I LOVE YOU GUYS

• Like 5

Much like taylor anne photo I wabt to join the conversation ASAP I did finish watching the Reffer Madness musical but I had to delay my note taking and subsequent posting of those notes because....

Today I went to an early Early Screening/Spanish Premiere of...

THE DISASTER ARTIST

OMG! It was soooooooo good and Paul gets all the oscars in MY book!!! (An Im not even being biased)

June and Jason kicked serious butt as well and on top of everythin I gives y'all an "excuse" to rewatch the room and relisten to HDTGM's Room Directors Edition Ep

P.S.: Stay until the very end of the credits ala Marvel

On the opening logos enjoy the NEW Point Gray logo

I'm writing from my cellphone and thats when I have the worst typos and I hard for me to attach photos... I'll do it as soon as I can as well as giving my opinion on Reefer Madness Cross My Heart and hope to cry ;-)

P.P.S.: Thank you for letting me hijack this thread for this post only I LOVE YOU GUYS

You go ahead and write as much as you like, Max! You know we love you too!

I’m super jealous you got to see The Disaster Artist already. I mean, it looks really good, but I’m glad you could confirm. :)

• Like 1

I really enjoyed a lot of the clever lyrics/dialog in this movie. A couple of my favorite lines were:

"The wafers don't taste so great, they won't transubstantiate."

"You once had all the brains, now they're just carpet stains."

• Like 2