πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 1 - The First One

Jon & Lauren are so excited to kick off Raised By TV that they spend the whole hour brainstorming ideas for future episodes. They touch on Supermarket Sweep, TGIF, Saved By The Bell, The Real World, theme songs, an infamous Oprah moment, why it’s creepy that Clarissa kept a ladder next to her window, and the 90s trend of keeping tarantulas as pets.

• Like 1

So...about the hot pepper/pogo stick guy: I'm going to get pedantic for a second. First off, it was a nerdy white guy. He was on Jenny Jones or Ricki Lake because he had set the most records in the Guinness book. That was his whole deal, he was obsessed with the Guinness book. One of the records had involved a pogo stick. Also it wasn't "mind over matter" exactly, so much as "you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it," which was why he loved the book so much. Even nerdy white guys could do useless crap and get into a book. Well at some point he popped the hottest pepper into his mouth and Jenny is like "You're just eating that???" and he's all "I've had hotter," with a big smirk on his face. A little while later, the camera cut back to him and his eyes were watering and he was really in a bad way. I remember he wiped his nose and a HUGE glob of snot came out. So they spirit him away backstage, and after the commercial break he comes hopping back onto the stage on a pogo stick and explained that he had gotten some of the oil from the pepper in his eye. I do not remember him crashing through any glass table, I think the John might be conflating that detail with something else.

My Mom dated the host of SUPERMARKET SWEEPS in highschool and we've heard ALL OUR LIVES about how she COULD'VE/SHOULD'VE been "Mrs. SUPERMARKET SWEEPS"!

Β 

She said he used to sing Everyly Brothers songs to her in our Grandma's backyward.

• Like 1

I hope when they start digging deeper into specific topics that they'll go back and rewatch some of the stuff.

I hope when they start digging deeper into specific topics that they'll go back and rewatch some of the stuff.

Β 

I think the whole vibe of bouncing around and half-remembering things and openly wondering whether something was real or not is a big part of why this is so fun. But yeah, it will probably eventually get to the point where they start doing a whole episode on one specific episode or something, in which case it would make sense. It kind of feels like the possibilities are endless. Exciting!

• Like 1

I loved ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?

Β 

Reacently I searched the "I'm Cold" episode and discovered that Melissa Joan Hart was the big sister of the kid that sees the ghost and It blew my mind

Β 

http://www.media4.hw-static.com/wp-content/uploads/2015-07-06-Are-You-Afraid-of-the-Dark-Melissa-Joan-Hart-Nickelodeon.png

So absolutely excited to have Lauren and Jon working on something together. This podcast is already one of my favorites, and I hope it continues for a long time.

Β 

(Created an Earwolf forum account specifically to comment on this podcast and this podcast only.)

• Like 1

After hearing ads for this I felt like the podcast gods went into my brain and made a podcast specifically for me. Lapkus and Gabrus freestyling about 90s TV. Turns out I was right. If they're as pumped and excited every episode as they were in this first time this'll be an all time great.

• Like 1

So...about the hot pepper/pogo stick guy: I'm going to get pedantic for a second. First off, it was a nerdy white guy. He was on Jenny Jones or Ricki Lake because he had set the most records in the Guinness book. That was his whole deal, he was obsessed with the Guinness book. One of the records had involved a pogo stick. Also it wasn't "mind over matter" exactly, so much as "you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it," which was why he loved the book so much. Even nerdy white guys could do useless crap and get into a book. Well at some point he popped the hottest pepper into his mouth and Jenny is like "You're just eating that???" and he's all "I've had hotter," with a big smirk on his face. A little while later, the camera cut back to him and his eyes were watering and he was really in a bad way. I remember he wiped his nose and a HUGE glob of snot came out. So they spirit him away backstage, and after the commercial break he comes hopping back onto the stage on a pogo stick and explained that he had gotten some of the oil from the pepper in his eye. I do not remember him crashing through any glass table, I think the John might be conflating that detail with something else.

Β 

I absolutely love that someone is confirming this half-remembered story. Now we just have to find the clip.

two of my favorites finally doing a show together. Really looking forward to listening in on this nostalgia ride!

I'm just listening to this show and episode for the first time, and holy crap! I thought that I did more than watch TV when I was growing up, but apparently not. This is amazing and hilarious.

Sign in to follow this