🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 25 Preview (Kateacola’s 2nd Pick)

This is the only Bollywood(ish) movie I've watched. I've seen clips of others and have been interested in watching Bollywood films, but I had no idea where to start.

I watched this one earlier this year cause I thought it could be a baby-step into the genre, since it's a story I already know and love.

I remember it was a fun watch and it did make me excited to check out more, but I'm still not sure what to check out next, lol.

I'm not any kind of expert because I've only seen a handful of Indian movies. I didn't have a plan either. I just saw imdb had a handful and there were a bunch on Netflix at the time. I generally liked what I saw but they all had flaws and they were all the same flaws (too long and kind of genetic feel good plots).

I'd recommend checking out the Apu trilogy by Satyajit Ray. They aren't what people think of for Indian cinema but they are great movies.

• Like 4

I GOTS OPINIONS! When I went back to school to get a teaching degree (didn't happen; long boring story), my favorite English class was actually a Focused study on the works of Jane Austen. After a week or so, it was me and a bunch of female English majors who loved to read and watch BBC dramas and it was THE BEST. Of course we watched this film, along with discussing the various strengths and weaknesses of the BBC Pride & Prejudice and the 2005 Joe Wright film. I love the 2005 film for a variety of reasons; I find it to be constantly moving and alive, full of emotion and color. It takes that stereotype of a staid, Austen/BBC sitting room drama and explodes it with passion. It is less faithful to the book and has its flaws, but I love it. I also... have a Keira Knightley thing THAT I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR.

I had never read any Austen before that class but it turned out to be a lot of fun since almost everyone was game for discussing Old Literature in a mature yet fun fashion. Nice.

Also, fuck Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. That was one of the worse reading experiences of my life.

• Like 5

I'm not any kind of expert because I've only seen a handful of Indian movies. I didn't have a plan either. I just saw imdb had a handful and there were a bunch on Netflix at the time. I generally liked what I saw but they all had flaws and they were all the same flaws (too long and kind of genetic feel good plots).

I'd recommend checking out the Apu trilogy by Satyajit Ray. They aren't what people think of for Indian cinema but they are great movies.

Genetic feel-good plots? There's a Bollywood version of Repo!?

Is Pride & Prejudice everyone's favorite Jane Austen novel? If not, what is? If it is, what's your second favorite? I'd say Pride is definitely my number one, but I've always had a soft spot for Northanger Abbey.

• Like 3

I can't speak to the various versions of Pride and Prejudice but they can't compete with the Semaphore Version of Wuthering Heights.

DecisiveConcernedHornet.gif

• Like 3

Is Pride & Prejudice everyone's favorite Jane Austen novel? If not, what is? If it is, what's your second favorite? I'd say Pride is definitely my number one, but I've always had a soft spot for Northanger Abbey.

I've only read 3 of her novels so my list is very short. #1 is Emma.

Quasar - I didn't mind Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I couldn't finish the movie.

• Like 4

I can't speak to the various versions of Pride and Prejudice but they can't compete with the Semaphore Version of Wuthering Heights.

DecisiveConcernedHornet.gif

Then I guess the question is, who would win in a fight: Jane Austen or Emily Brontë? No superpowers.

• Like 2

I've only read P&P and Emma. I'm not sure which I enjoy more novel-wise. It's been awhile since I've read either.

Northanger Abbey I've never read but recently watched the movie adaptation (with Felicity Jones) and I really liked it. I was trying to watch all Jane Austen movie / series adaptations that I've never seen a few months ago. I watched quite a few adaptations I've never seen before, and out of that run Northanger Abbey was my favorite.

Quasar - I didn't mind reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I couldn't finish the movie.

Yea I tried watching P&P & Zombies twice and could never get past the first 15 mins.

• Like 3

We already know who wins the Darcy off

200.gif#26-grid1

I think the Darcy-off is too easy. Next week, we should do a Mister-off. Darcy vs Knightley.

• Like 4

Then I guess the question is, who would win in a fight: Jane Austen or Emily Brontë? No superpowers.

Team Austen for me despite my love of Monty Python. I read Wuthering Heights and hated almost every minute.

• Like 2

My favorite is Pride and Prejudice, but I also I really like Mansfield Park. Maybe it's just because it's more of an outlier in Austen's bibliography; the protagonist is much more quiet and reserved and concerned with her own morality. Since I read so much Austen in such a short period of time, that book seemed unique and unlike the others, so it attracted me.

• Like 4

I've never read P&P but, in seeing what other adaptations there were, came across a couple that sound unusual and worth checking out. Would like your opinions on them and if they're worth watching. Also, I won't have time to read the novel before watching Bride & Prejudice but would it be worth reading before these (also the BBC "extra-smolder" ediiton)?

Death Comes to Pemberley

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

• Like 3

I've never read P&P but, in seeing what other adaptations there were, came across a couple that sound unusual and worth checking out. Would like your opinions on them and if they're worth watching. Also, I won't have time to read the novel before watching Bride & Prejudice but would it be worth reading before these (also the BBC "extra-smolder" ediiton)?

Death Comes to Pemberley

I fucking loooooooove The Lizzie Bennet Diaries! At first I thought it was gonna be super cheesy and then I hardcore got into it when I was in college and it really revitalized my love for this story.

I say you don't have to read the novel nor watch the 6 hour long BBC version but I do still highly recommend both at some point in your life lol.

• Like 4

Yeah, don’t worry about reading the novel, but it is very good. It’s no where near as intimidating as Wuthering Heights. It’s very charming.

I concur with Taylor, though. If nothing else, you should at least watch the miniseries at some point. But don’t feel like you have to for this. It’s not a complex story. I would suggest watch this first. If you like it, then watch the miniseries. And if you like THAT, then read the novel.

• Like 4

Yeah, don’t worry about reading the novel, but it is very good. It’s no where near as intimidating as Wuthering Heights. It’s very charming.

I concur with Taylor, though. If nothing else, you should at least watch the miniseries at some point. But don’t feel like you have to for this. It’s not a complex story. I would suggest watch this first. If you like it, then watch the miniseries. And if you like THAT, then read the novel.

I've seen the Keira Knightly version and enjoyed it okay. Generally, I'm not a fan of any movie set in this time period for no real reason. Should I still plan on watching the miniseries at some point?

• Like 4

I've seen the Keira Knightly version and enjoyed it okay. Generally, I'm not a fan of any movie set in this time period for no real reason. Should I still plan on watching the miniseries at some point?

That's an interesting reason to not like it lol. I'd say if you just don't like this time period then you're not going to like the BBC version.

• Like 3

That's an interesting reason to not like it lol. I'd say if you just don't like this time period then you're not going to like the BBC version.

I don't have problem with the period. I just start tuning out during so many relationship movies set then and I'm not sure why As I say I liked the Keira Knightly version andI liked the Laurence Olivier Wuthering Heights. But a lot of the ones I've tried to watch were adaptations of the Bronte sisters and maybe it's their writing. I don't know.

• Like 2

I don't have problem with the period. I just start tuning out during so many relationship movies set then and I'm not sure why As I say I liked the Keira Knightly version andI liked the Laurence Olivier Wuthering Heights. But a lot of the ones I've tried to watch were adaptations of the Bronte sisters and maybe it's their writing. I don't know.

Is it the empire dresses?

• Like 3

It just isn't that flattering depending on the individual woman and her figure!

I mean, no, that doesn't factor in.

• Like 3

Death Comes to Pemberley

I haven't watched either of those. But curious to check out now.

I did watch Lost in Austen during my Austen adaptation watching spree (Taylor recommended to me on Letterboxd). I liked it a lot and binged it in one day because I have no self-control, lol. But that one is a mini-series too and is a P&P adaptation but with a twist.

Like Cameron said, it's not too complicated of a story. Bride & Prejudice may not be the best adaptation of P&P, but if you generally like the story then I'd say definitely check out some others.

I'm the opposite, lol. Movies and shows in that time period are my jam.

• Like 5

I'm the opposite, lol. Movies and shows in that time period are my jam.

• Like 6