Musical Mondays Week 25 Preview (Kateacola’s 2nd Pick)

59 replies to this topic

#41 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 15 November 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

I've never read P&P but, in seeing what other adaptations there were, came across a couple that sound unusual and worth checking out. Would like your opinions on them and if they're worth watching. Also, I won't have time to read the novel before watching Bride & Prejudice but would it be worth reading before these (also the BBC "extra-smolder" ediiton)?

Death Comes to Pemberley

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

I fucking loooooooove The Lizzie Bennet Diaries! At first I thought it was gonna be super cheesy and then I hardcore got into it when I was in college and it really revitalized my love for this story.

I say you don't have to read the novel nor watch the 6 hour long BBC version but I do still highly recommend both at some point in your life lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#42 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:00 AM

Yeah, don’t worry about reading the novel, but it is very good. It’s no where near as intimidating as Wuthering Heights. It’s very charming.

I concur with Taylor, though. If nothing else, you should at least watch the miniseries at some point. But don’t feel like you have to for this. It’s not a complex story. I would suggest watch this first. If you like it, then watch the miniseries. And if you like THAT, then read the novel.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#43 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

View PostCameron H., on 15 November 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

Yeah, don’t worry about reading the novel, but it is very good. It’s no where near as intimidating as Wuthering Heights. It’s very charming.

I concur with Taylor, though. If nothing else, you should at least watch the miniseries at some point. But don’t feel like you have to for this. It’s not a complex story. I would suggest watch this first. If you like it, then watch the miniseries. And if you like THAT, then read the novel.

I've seen the Keira Knightly version and enjoyed it okay. Generally, I'm not a fan of any movie set in this time period for no real reason. Should I still plan on watching the miniseries at some point?

#44 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 15 November 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

I've seen the Keira Knightly version and enjoyed it okay. Generally, I'm not a fan of any movie set in this time period for no real reason. Should I still plan on watching the miniseries at some point?

That's an interesting reason to not like it lol. I'd say if you just don't like this time period then you're not going to like the BBC version.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#45 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 15 November 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

That's an interesting reason to not like it lol. I'd say if you just don't like this time period then you're not going to like the BBC version.

I don't have problem with the period. I just start tuning out during so many relationship movies set then and I'm not sure why As I say I liked the Keira Knightly version andI liked the Laurence Olivier Wuthering Heights. But a lot of the ones I've tried to watch were adaptations of the Bronte sisters and maybe it's their writing. I don't know.

#46 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 15 November 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

I don't have problem with the period. I just start tuning out during so many relationship movies set then and I'm not sure why As I say I liked the Keira Knightly version andI liked the Laurence Olivier Wuthering Heights. But a lot of the ones I've tried to watch were adaptations of the Bronte sisters and maybe it's their writing. I don't know.

Is it the empire dresses?

#47 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 15 November 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

It just isn't that flattering depending on the individual woman and her figure!

I mean, no, that doesn't factor in.

#48 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

I'm just gonna leave this here...

#49 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostCinco DeNio, on 15 November 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

I've never read P&P but, in seeing what other adaptations there were, came across a couple that sound unusual and worth checking out. Would like your opinions on them and if they're worth watching. Also, I won't have time to read the novel before watching Bride & Prejudice but would it be worth reading before these (also the BBC "extra-smolder" ediiton)?

Death Comes to Pemberley

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

I haven't watched either of those. But curious to check out now.

I did watch Lost in Austen during my Austen adaptation watching spree (Taylor recommended to me on Letterboxd). I liked it a lot and binged it in one day because I have no self-control, lol. But that one is a mini-series too and is a P&P adaptation but with a twist.

Like Cameron said, it's not too complicated of a story. Bride & Prejudice may not be the best adaptation of P&P, but if you generally like the story then I'd say definitely check out some others.

View Postgrudlian., on 15 November 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

I'm the opposite, lol. Movies and shows in that time period are my jam.

#50 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

View Postkateacola, on 15 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I'm the opposite, lol. Movies and shows in that time period are my jam.

#51 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 15 November 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

LOL
Maybe a little bit

#52 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

View Postkateacola, on 15 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I did watch Lost in Austen during my Austen adaptation watching spree (Taylor recommended to me on Letterboxd). I liked it a lot and binged it in one day because I have no self-control, lol. But that one is a mini-series too and is a P&P adaptation but with a twist.

Omfg yes everyone should also watch Lost in Austen.

#53 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 15 November 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Finally got a chance to watch this video. I started cackling at the first few beats.

#54 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 15 November 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

Like this? Oh, wait, that's the Chrysler Building.
Posted Image
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#55 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

Did anyone watch through the credits? Cause there is definitely a certain disgusting producer that pops up and now I don't know what to think...

#56 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 16 November 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Did anyone watch through the credits? Cause there is definitely a certain disgusting producer that pops up and now I don't know what to think...

Like...in a cameo?
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#57 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostCameron H., on 16 November 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

Like...in a cameo?

The credits are just a reel of "bloopers" where the cast and crew sing along to one of the Indian songs and he pops up in one of them and I legit screamed "NOOOOOO!"

Posted Image

#58 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:37 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 16 November 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

The credits are just a reel of "bloopers" where the cast and crew sing along to one of the Indian songs and he pops up in one of them and I legit screamed "NOOOOOO!"

Posted Image

Gross. Thanks for the head's up.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#59 kateacola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 16 November 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yeah, gross. I had no idea.

#60 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

Just finished watching this. Oh boy am I ready for tomorrow!

In the meantime enjoy this clip of KBell and John Kassir Off-Broadway in 2001.

(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)