đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
bjornr-g

Waterworld (1995)

The 90s WERE weird. Kevin Costner was also a sex symbol. This is coming from a heterosexual dude, but I always found him about as exciting or interesting as white bread.

Waterworld, starring soggy

White-Bread.jpg

Let's give this a bump here thanks to its troubled production and poor domestic box office.

Just saw this pop up on HBO and watched it since first seeing it in cinemas back in 1995.....

Wow, it is truly a straight up remake of The Road Warrior but set on the water. Almost beat for beat.

Is there another example of a lavish Hollywood remake of a smaller, grittier genre film?

Costner is wildly miscast; he is literally anti-charisma. Once again, Kurt Russell would have made this passable.

Also, imagine building such elaborate sets for what was such a clear-cut turkey of a film? Literally everything would be green screen if this was made today.

This must have an extended vacation for cast and crew as well as a tax shelter for Universal.

Given the behind the scenes drama, Hopper scene chewing and Costner inertia, this would make a great episode.

I just want to say that several Universal Studios theme parks still do a live “Waterworld set” show, and apparently it’s quite good.

Thing is, as i’ve said elsewhere on this forum, the in-park ads for it on the loudspeakers advertise it as being from “the hit movie” as if everyone didn’t know it wasn’t a notorious flop. Guess they’re in deep denial or something.

Sign in to follow this