🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 175.5 - Minisode 175.5

From coffee to a special phone call from someone on their wedding night on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Ultraviolet, gives us his Pick of the Week, and the Movie Bitches review Kidnap. Plus, you’ll find out which movie we will be covering next!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

Yay! The Jazz Singer! That was the show *I* was at. I was the asshole holding the sign that Paul mentions during June's intro. (I had a June quote on my sign. She did not recognize it. I was pleased.)

I had a lot of sign board thanks to this President. I almost made one that said "The Theme Song Should Be Longer."

Congrats to the forum for winning and to Cameron H. (how are you today, Cameron?) for being a fan fave!

• Like 10

So strange that they made a movie out of that Krusty episode of The Simpsons. Especially since they changed to be about jazz singer who doesn't sing jazz, instead of being about a clown like in the original source material.

• Like 4

Neil Diamond became the first ever Razzie Worst Actor winner thanks to this film, while Laurence Olivier became the first Worst Supporting Actor winner (for which he was tied with the little kid from "Gloria").

• Like 3

(how are you today, Cameron?)

I’m well, Elektra. How are you?

I’m super excited to hear them talk about your sign! Do we get to hear you as well? If so, I think all you have to do is get a Explanation Hope Line call in to get the equivalent of a HDTGM EGOT. Good luck!

Just to let everyone know, Jazz Singer is free on Tubi TV right now.

I bought this the second it was announced. There’s not even the slightest chance that I’m going to allow a single piece of Neil Diamond content to slip through my fingers. I’m “Forever in Blue Jeans,” baby!

(I’m listening to him as I jog, right now!!)

• Like 6

I think we're all in agreement. When it comes to Cameron H.

tumblr_nxgxvp57Ui1ujv5ioo3_r1_540.gif

• Like 9

I think we're all in agreement. When it comes to Cameron H.

tumblr_nxgxvp57Ui1ujv5ioo3_r1_540.gif

And I’m a huge fan of yours, Cam! You’re kindness and humor is a huge part of what makes this forum a great place to visit!

In fact, in the spirit of the season, I just want to thank all you nerds. Undoubtedly, HDTGM attracts nothing but the best people as fans, and I’m grateful to each and every one of you for sharing your humor, intelligence, opinions, and lives with me every single day.

You are all my favorites!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

So I just finished the first episode of The Punisher...

Pro: I like how sweet dreams about his wife are the nightmares that keep him up at night.

Con: I don't like how his wife in those dreams speaks to him like he's a 6-year-old with a mild fever that she's decided to keep home from school. Icky.

• Like 4

I'm only vaguely familiar with Nathan For You. I've seen bits of it and liked what I saw. I Just never committed to it. But Paul's pick made me check it out the Finding Frances episode and it really is great. I'm glad he mentioned it (and mentioned it being free on the Comedy Central website) because I would have missed something really special.

• Like 2

So I just finished the first episode of The Punisher...

Pro: I like how sweet dreams about his wife are the nightmares that keep him up at night.

Con: I don't like how his wife in those dreams speaks to him like he's a 6-year-old with a mild fever that she's decided to keep home from school. Icky.

I'm enjoying what I've seen so far, though I'm a bit biased as I've been a devout Punisher reader for since the 2001 regular Ennis run. In regards to the dreams, those have always been portrayed in the comics in a similar way as Frank's mind has warped over the years as he can't truly remember his family since he's been having his war for so long. His memories are usually a mix of Leave It To Beaver and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so it may not transfer as well to screen. Also, Bernthal is doing a fantastic job as the Punisher, though Ray Stevenson is still number one for me, though that could easily change. I also have to say that whatever the song was at the end of the first episode at the build site sounded like if Rammstein was asked to do a soundtrack for a Disney film, just terrifying.

The scene also reminds me of a moment from Red Hood and the Outlaws where the team has to give a cosmic entity their worst memory in order to gain access to an ancient group of fighters. Red Hood (Jason Todd) in the end doesn't want the worst memory back in the end because he has new terrible memories to drive him towards justice, like dying at the hands of the Joker or being ressurrected by Talia Al Ghul. What's eventually revealed to be the terrible memory that drove him was a night when he was Robin and had a horrible flu, so he wasn't able to go out on patrol with Batman, whom Jason now blames for his death and that he was replaced by Tim Drake as Robin. Seeing that he's sick and in need of moral support, Batman decides to take the night off and keep Jason company with soup and a movie along with Alfred. It's a real shock of a scene as the entire volume of the paperback shows Red Hood with a vocal disdain for Batman and his tactics, but with his mind warped from the Lazarus Pit, even the love from Batman only created more hatred and anger in him.

• Like 3

tumblr_ll7k6j3gU71qfp25u.gif

Cmon y'all at least give it the weekend lol. I can't start watching until tomorrow night!

Don’t worry! None of this is plot relevant. ;)

• Like 1

I'm only vaguely familiar with Nathan For You. I've seen bits of it and liked what I saw. I Just never committed to it. But Paul's pick made me check it out the Finding Frances episode and it really is great. I'm glad he mentioned it (and mentioned it being free on the Comedy Central website) because I would have missed something really special.

I think Nathan For You is one of the greatest comedies ever. It's one of those shows at first that's just kinda silly and dumb but the more you come to known the character of "Nathan" the richer the show gets. The other thing I think is great is that the kind of people that they get it is very easy to make fun of but in a Tim and Eric sort of way he finds these people and treats them well while at the same time knowing which people he encounters are okay to make fun of like parents willing to have a man expose himself to their children for money. I encourage people to check it out his show.

• Like 1

Thomas Jane will always be my Punisher...

The Thomas Jane Punisher movie is not particularly good, but I thought the Dirty Laundry short was really good.

• Like 2

Wouldn't it be neat if The Punisher was at least a little charismatic? You're bumming me out, bro!

• Like 4

Thomas Jane will always be my Punisher...

Jane was a good representation of the mid 90s Punisher with a slight dash of Ennis' early run of the character in that he was willing to kill but went in a roundabout way of doing it, as the Punisher had to with content limitations of the 90s. Dolph Lundgren's version was sort of a starting point to what would appear in Punisher comics in the 90s and 2000s, but otherwise was a mess. Stevenson was a perfect representation of the MAX version of the Punisher in that he's being waging his war for decades and sees the world in very stark black/white contrast but can understand the gray when needed to. Bernthal is a mix of Jane and Stevenson in that he's more bleak and reckless as his family was recently killed, but he's still a finely tuned fighting machine wanting to strike out at those who go against him.

The Thomas Jane Punisher movie is not particularly good, but I thought the Dirty Laundry short was really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

I thought that was a good short, but there is no way that the Punisher would allow the assault to occur against that woman for as long as it did, if at all. The kid getting the shit beat out of him would have never happened, let alone with him watching it for minutes on end, as many times in the comics the Punisher has shown a soft spot for children and taking more extreme measures against those who harm them. I will admit that Ari Shankar has a real love for comics and making them feel authentic to the source material, Dredd being a prime example, but this short missed a bit of the Punisher's essence for me.

As for him being charismatic, here he is showing Wolverine his standup skills:

1761632-the_punisher_v4_17___aim_low___21.jpg

For those not wanting to Google, here's a Pine Marten

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm watching the Punisher series now and what exactly are his "powers"? That he's a sharpshooter and has anger issues?

• Like 2

I'm only three episodes in but I for one am hoping The Punisher ends with him being killed and coming back as either a angel of vengeance or a Frankenstein monster.

• Like 1

I think his powers are gets-a-13-episode-series-despite being-boring-as-fuck.

• Like 5

I think his powers are gets-a-13-episode-series-despite being-boring-as-fuck.

Plus a skull vest made out of plot armor.

• Like 1

I'm only three episodes in but I for one am hoping The Punisher ends with him being killed and coming back as either a angel of vengeance or a Frankenstein monster.

The less said about Frankencastle the better.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this