🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 175.5 - Minisode 175.5

Plus a skull vest made out of plot armor.

Super rage to compensate for micro penis.

• Like 2

Cribbed from my Twitter but since we're talking about Punisher, my thoughts are thusly: In the first ten minutes of the Punisher series, we meet characters dumb enough to bully a physically imposing and obviously mentally disturbed man who is obsessed with destroying concrete walls with a sledgehammer. Not exactly Hela: Goddess of Death (or even Kingpin)-level antagonists. There are better-written shows out there.

• Like 2

Anywayyyyys, it was quite an honor to hear Mr. Paul Scheer straight-up describe my comment as "great," especially since the way I write can come off as very.... written and does not sound like how people talk when spoken aloud. I sincerely appreciate the effort in highlighting my self-indulgent musings during the Correction and Omissions section. It is an especially momentous C&O at that, considering it is bookened by a pair of Cameron H. comments, which always makes for a wonderful minisode. We are all winners!

• Like 4

Anywayyyyys, it was quite an honor to hear Mr. Paul Scheer straight-up describe my comment as "great," especially since the way I write can come off as very.... written and does not sound like how people talk when spoken aloud. I sincerely appreciate the effort in highlighting my self-indulgent musings during the Correction and Omissions section

I love your posts, Quasar! They bring an erudition that I feel raises the level of discourse here :)

We are all winners!

anigif_original-7643-1434491446-9.gif

• Like 7

I think Nathan For You is one of the greatest comedies ever. It's one of those shows at first that's just kinda silly and dumb but the more you come to known the character of "Nathan" the richer the show gets. The other thing I think is great is that the kind of people that they get it is very easy to make fun of but in a Tim and Eric sort of way he finds these people and treats them well while at the same time knowing which people he encounters are okay to make fun of like parents willing to have a man expose himself to their children for money. I encourage people to check it out his show.

Nathan Fielder absolutely should be given a MacArthur Genius Grant. And I'll probably put him in my will. He's earned it.

• Like 1

I feel like I am missing out on "The Punisher" snark but I am not watching it. Punisher has never been a favorite hero of mine. (Plus Frank's evil in Spider-Gwen and I'm still mad at him. Don't judge me.) I always wondered why they kept trying so hard for him to have a movie. Although I will admit to liking his storyline on the second season of "Daredevil" better than the ninja storyline. I think he works best when he has another hero serving as his foil. He's too dark for me on on his own. Though obviously he's a very popular character so it works for some people.

This is my fave Punisher appearance:

• Like 4

I feel like I am missing out on "The Punisher" snark but I am not watching it. Punisher has never been a favorite hero of mine. (Plus Frank's evil in Spider-Gwen and I'm still mad at him. Don't judge me.) I always wondered why they kept trying so hard for him to have a movie. Although I will admit to liking his storyline on the second season of "Daredevil" better than the ninja storyline. I think he works best when he has another hero serving as his foil. He's too dark for me on on his own. Though obviously he's a very popular character so it works for some people.

This is my fave Punisher appearance:

This is my reasoning for not liking Punisher as well. I think he'd make a really good limited series run but otherwise he isn't for me.

Knowing that, would others here recommend I bother with the series? He was the only thing I genuinely liked in Daredevil season 2. So, I'm not against him completely but I'm struggling with the idea of dedicating 13 episodes to it.

• Like 2

This is my reasoning for not liking Punisher as well. I think he'd make a really good limited series run but otherwise he isn't for me.

Knowing that, would others here recommend I bother with the series? He was the only thing I genuinely liked in Daredevil season 2. So, I'm not against him completely but I'm struggling with the idea of dedicating 13 episodes to it.

So far, it’s violent and boring. I’ve fallen asleep twice. So, if you like sleeping...

• Like 2

You're not missing out.

• Like 3

Where’s everyone at between this vs. Iron Fist?

I feel like this is better in terms of writing and acting, but I kind of liked Iron Fist more. Not so much because it was enjoyable in and of itself, but because it was so much more fun to make fun of. I’d much rather watch a dumpster fire like Iron Fist than something this lifeless and dull.

• Like 1

So far, it’s violent and boring. I’ve fallen asleep twice. So, if you like sleeping...

You're not missing out.

Looks like I'll be skipping this which I can't say I'm too upset about.

• Like 2

"Iron Fist" actively mad me angry. No way you could fall asleep. But I bet the acting in "Punisher" is better, for example. It depends how you define bad.

Also I came to say I just saw Paul's face on the Hollywood Reporter! James Franco mentions the podcast in the article. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disaster-artists-james-franco-casting-famous-friends-avoiding-parody-pitfalls-1056965

• Like 5

Where’s everyone at between this vs. Iron Fist?

I feel like this is better in terms of writing and acting, but I kind of liked Iron Fist more. Not so much because it was enjoyable in and of itself, but because it was so much more fun to make fun of. I’d much rather watch a dumpster fire like Iron Fist than something this lifeless and dull.

MTE! I never thought I'd say this, but I had more fun watching (and making fun of) Iron Fist. It was easier to pay attention to IF for this reason alone. I watched all of Punisher, but sometimes it felt like background noise. One minute people are bonding over sandwiches and the next time I look up, they're in a shootout somehow?

Looks like I'll be skipping this which I can't say I'm too upset about.

M watched the 1st episode and the last episode. He might have enjoyed the series more than I did?

• Like 4

Also I came to say I just saw Paul's face on the Hollywood Reporter! James Franco mentions the podcast in the article. https://www.hollywoo...itfalls-1056965

I know this is a long shot, but if the Oscar Buzz for Disaster Artist pans out, it would be true serendipity to have the HDTGM crew at the ceremony along with Franco who, directed that film and stars as Tommy Wiseau, and Wiseau himself, who is responsible for The Room, which was the focus of a classic HDTGM episode. It'd be like a Bad Movie Baked Alaska; layer upon layer of seemingly impossible delightful sweetness. In any case, any success that Paul, Jason, and June receive is both welcome and well-deserved.

• Like 3

I always thought The Punisher worked best when he was like Jaws. He's a constant threat and danger, but works better in small doses. Teased throughout and then bam comes on big at the end.

I'm only just past half way through, but here are two main problems I am having. One, the story just feels like an extension of DD season 2. He's fighting a shadowy military conspiracy again. This is fine but I'm kind checked out because it feels a lot like been there done that but with the same formula of the other Marvel Netflix shows (nothing happens until the end of the first episode, around the middle the main character is gravely injured, things gear up at the point at which screeners for critics stopped and the story seems to shift. etc.) The other problem is that almost all the characters are the same. Everyone is head strong and stubborn and thinks they can do it on their own and it just is so blah. Just a lot of this gets boring to me and their doesn't seem to be any unique characters or points of view.

• Like 4

I also don’t think Ponyboy would fare quite that well against The Punisher. Stay gold.

• Like 2

I also don’t think Ponyboy would fare quite that well against The Punisher. Stay gold.

Ehhhh....

• Like 1

Ehhhh....

You’re right. I guess he did cut his teeth in that rumble with the Socs...

tumblr_m7omm97CI41qakh43o2_500.gif

• Like 2

Um...Marvel’s Runaways premiers on Hulu tonight? Sorry, Punisher, I believe this is where you and I part ways...

RUNAWAYS_post_master.jpg

• Like 3

Um...Marvel’s Runaways premiers on Hulu tonight? Sorry, Punisher, I believe this is where you and I part ways...

Is it going all up at once or once a week? I'm almost finished Punisher. I would have last night but much like you I feel asleep on it..

• Like 1

Is it going all up at once or once a week? I'm almost finished Punisher. I would have last night but much like you I feel asleep on it..

It looks like just the first three episodes right now...which is dumb. Get it together, Hulu! I like to binge my shows and move on with my life!

• Like 3

Runaways UPDATE: ‪Not super stoked by the use of xenophobia and racial stereotypes in the cold open to establish tension...:(

Also, a relationship quibble. Don’t open if you’ve never read the comic and want to be surprised.

I don’t remember Gert being quite so head over heels for Chase right away. I always felt like he had to earn her affection. I get it, but it’s a little disappointing.

Otherwise, everyone is really well cast, and it’s different enough from the comic that I’m not entirely sure what’s going to happen in the long run (although, I have my theories)

Overall, I’m enjoying it much more than Punisher.

• Like 2

I just finished the first two episodes. I'll echo the thing about it being well cast, the show is really well cast and it's nice to see non-30 year old teens for a change. Which brings me to my only real problem so far, Molly is too old. The actress playing her is clearly the same age, maybe a year or so off, as the rest but she's suppose to be younger. They've written her younger, she's playing it younger, but she looks like she is the same age which just makes her character seem a little off.

Otherwise I agree, it's similar but different enough to make me guess. In terms of the relationship quibble

It's been awhile but I remember after they kissed it was implied that they'd had feelings about each other for awhile.

Speaking of relationships, it is also implied that Chase's mom and Nico's father might be having an affair or something. Seeing as Molly's parents aren't around (thanks Fox) do you think this is set up for them being the betrayers instead? EDIT: I guess it's not implied anymore, but theory remains.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this