🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 175.5 - Minisode 175.5

I'm not entirely sure how one could do what the Wachowskis (and the original novel) were attempting without some race and gender swapping. I guess that's just a white person making excuses for yellowface though. I definitely understand people having complaints about it.

I didn't realize it was a novel to begin with, which I believe probably the story works better as. It's one of those things that you watch and you're like "okay I understand that concept but did we honestly need to see this played out where Jim Sturgess and Huge Weaving are in yellowface?"

• Like 1

I didn't realize it was a novel to begin with, which I believe probably the story works better as. It's one of those things that you watch and you're like "okay I understand that concept but did we honestly need to see this played out where Jim Sturgess and Huge Weaving are in yellowface?"

I'll preface this by saying I'm not the most analytical reader. So, the themes could have been obvious to everyone but me.

I read the book before seeing the movie and I, in no way, picked up that all the characters were represented in the other stories. There were references to the main character having a birthmark or tattoo or something like that but all the characters having an analogue was surprising to me (or maybe created by the Wachowskis??? idk). Even having some idea of what was coming, it was weird seeing the race swapping.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this