🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 175.5 - Minisode 175.5

I think Nathan For You is one of the greatest comedies ever. It's one of those shows at first that's just kinda silly and dumb but the more you come to known the character of "Nathan" the richer the show gets.

I recall a handful of episodes from that show, they were funny as hell. I didn't get to finish the series on account of cord cutting, but I'd like to revisit it some day.

Since Ali G was one of my favorite comedy shows of all time (and the movies some of my biggest disappointments), Nathan For You is pretty much directed straight at me.

• Like 2

I just finished the first two episodes. I'll echo the thing about it being well cast, the show is really well cast and it's nice to see non-30 year old teens for a change. Which brings me to my only real problem so far, Molly is too old. The actress playing her is clearly the same age, maybe a year or so off, as the rest but she's suppose to be younger. They've written her younger, she's playing it younger, but she looks like she is the same age which just makes her character seem a little off.

Otherwise I agree, it's similar but different enough to make me guess. In terms of the relationship quibble

It's been awhile but I remember after they kissed it was implied that they'd had feelings about each other for awhile.

Speaking of relationships, it is also implied that Chase's mom and Nico's father might be having an affair or something. Seeing as Molly's parents aren't around (thanks Fox) do you think this is set up for them being the betrayers instead? EDIT: I guess it's not implied anymore, but theory remains.

I agree with you regarding Molly's age. It looks like they aged her up from 12 to 14 just so they could all go to the same school. I don't really have a problem with that, and it might seem like not a huge deal, but there's a huge difference in maturity between a 12-year-old and a 14-year-old. If they were going to make that change, then the way the character was written should really have reflected that. As it stands, she comes off a bit stunted.

That being said, I do like the actress they chose. They just should have rewritten the part a bit.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR RUNAWAYS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I don't recall that about Gert and Chase. Maybe... I guess my problem is is that all the longing seems to be coming from her at the moment and I think that's pretty trite and undermines Gert as a character. I would have been more interested in either seeing no signs of interest whatsoever (until something between them sparks) or shown the longing coming from Chase.

Speaking of Chase, I like the fact that they made him more than just the "dumb jock" in this and that he's the one who designed his own gauntlets. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved Chase - he's the heart of the team in a lot of ways - but once he loses the gauntlets in the book, he kind of loses his reason for being there. He basically just drives them around. (Although, I think he eventually got them back. I can't remember.) The point is, I like the fact that he can make them himself. This means he can always be tinkering with them and improving them. And, yeah, I know he ends up being bonded to Lace, but still...he needs those gauntlets and it's better - at least in the television show - that he designed them.

Do you think they're still going to have Alex betray them? On the one hand, that betrayal is a huge part of the comic book and it would be a real gut punch to see it play out on screen. On the other hand, I kind of want him to be good in this iteration. Or, if they do it, give him a path toward redemption instead of killing him off.

• Like 1

I agree with you regarding Molly's age. It looks like they aged her up from 12 to 14 just so they could all go to the same school. I don't really have a problem with that, and it might seem like not a huge deal, but there's a huge difference in maturity between a 12-year-old and a 14-year-old. If they were going to make that change, then the way the character was written should really have reflected that. As it stands, she comes off a bit stunted.

That being said, I do like the actress they chose. They just should have rewritten the part a bit.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR RUNAWAYS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I don't recall that about Gert and Chase. Maybe... I guess my problem is is that all the longing seems to be coming from her at the moment and I think that's pretty trite and undermines Gert as a character. I would have been more interested in either seeing no signs of interest whatsoever (until something between them sparks) or shown the longing coming from Chase.

Speaking of Chase, I like the fact that they made him more than just the "dumb jock" in this and that he's the one who designed his own gauntlets. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved Chase - he's the heart of the team in a lot of ways - but once he loses the gauntlets in the book, he kind of loses his reason for being there. He basically just drives them around. (Although, I think he eventually got them back. I can't remember.) The point is, I like the fact that he can make them himself. This means he can always be tinkering with them and improving them. And, yeah, I know he ends up being bonded to Lace, but still...he needs those gauntlets and it's better - at least in the television show - that he designed them.

Do you think they're still going to have Alex betray them? On the one hand, that betrayal is a huge part of the comic book and it would be a real gut punch to see it play out on screen. On the other hand, I kind of want him to be good in this iteration. Or, if they do it, give him a path toward redemption instead of killing him off.

Casting all around is great. Even the parents are great. Kevin Weisman is some great comic relief.

COMIC BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I think part of it is they might want to set up a love triangle with Chase interested in Karolina, Gertie into Chase and Karolina discovering her sexuality. For this reason they put it on Gertie to be into Chase or jealous of Karolina. Whether that's right or not, is yet to be seen but seeing as they're already moving on Alex and Nico, they could have pulled back on Chase and Gertie stuff I felt. Much like your Alex question, I wonder if they will kill her like they did in the comics. Given the aging of actors, and the uncertainty of TV I wonder if the show will just do the first volume so we don't have to worry about her death.

As far as Alex and his turn as mole, I think the show has to do it. It will be a big gut punch but it is such a defining part of the comic. The seeds are kinda planted I think. He didn't attend Amy's funeral, and he was insistent that they come over that night. I think those things are related. We still don't know what happened to this Amy, and I think that will remain a mystery until his turn. As a result I think they might make it that he's doing this for revenge for her death or something like that so he's still sympathetic in his reasoning. At first I thought keeping him alive would hurt the development of Nico, but she seems to be going through some of that with the sister stuff so I'm not sure. However, I could easily see the first season ending with the cliffhanger of maybe Alex is lying to them.

• Like 1

Okay, Runaways is on hold while I watch The Jazz Singer. I’m only about a half an hour in and I’m not sure why this one got picked. Aside from that opening scene and Neil’s low energy, it hasn’t been all that crazy. I kind of like it so far. I guess my biggest question is he playing his part younger? If he’s supposed to be in his Twenties I can see where the movie is going, but at the time, Neil was pushing Forty. Even that’s not a huge deal, though.

• Like 1

Okay, Runaways is on hold while I watch The Jazz Singer. I’m only about a half an hour in and I’m not sure why this one got picked. Aside from that opening scene and Neil’s low energy, it hasn’t been all that crazy. I kind of like it so far. I guess my biggest question is he playing his part younger? If he’s supposed to be in his Twenties I can see where the movie is going, but at the time, Neil was pushing Forty. Even that’s not a huge deal, though.

Please tell me Sweet Caroline is in this.

• Like 2

Please tell me Sweet Caroline is in this.

Not so far, this seems to be a “Love on the Rocks” showcase (one of my least favs). However, the song he does in black face is pretty great...

ETA: Hold the phone. They’re having an “I just got fired” hoedown. Things just got (moderately) more interesting.

• Like 3

He is in Black face in the first 15 minutes! Not that crazy?

And also Sir Laurence is WAY over the top. He's got that "the guy I am opposite is giving me nothing so I am going to do everything" Pretzie disease. (Why did they cast him as a Jewish father?)

My face Sir Laurence is when they are at the end concert (which goes on for like half an hour) and when the people clap, he looks around like "what are they doing here?"

• Like 4

He is in Black face in the first 15 minutes! Not that crazy?

And also Sir Laurence is WAY over the top. He's got that "the guy I am opposite is giving me nothing so I am going to do everything" Pretzie disease. (Why did they cast him as a Jewish father?)

My face Sir Laurence is when they are at the end concert (which goes on for like half an hour) and when the people clap, he looks around like "what are they doing here?"

The black face thing is what I meant by the opening scene, but after that, nothing really matched that moment in terms of craziness. At least, not for me. Especially when you compare it to other HDTGM movies.

• Like 1

When did black face become too offensive for movies? I know this is a remake of a 1930s era movie, but did that grandfather in black face or was it still okay?

I guess there are always exceptions...

paicCKA.gif

• Like 2

When did black face become too offensive for movies? I know this is a remake of a 1930s era movie, but did that grandfather in black face or was it still okay?

I guess there are always exceptions...

paicCKA.gif

Portraying a Black man was still being done as late as Soul Man (1986).

Convincing-e1447458575547-300x295.jpg

And Fisher Stevens was playing an Indian man as late Short Circuit 2 (1988)

stevens2-203x300.jpg

I’m not sure if there are any later (non-ironic) examples.

• Like 1

I think it was always offensive to black people, the mainstream media just didn't care.

I'm sorry. I don't think I worded my response well . We weren't trying to suggest that it wasn't always offensive. SeaSkunk was just trying to pinpoint when Hollywood itself finally recognized it as being such.

• Like 3

Yes, I didn't mean to be insensitive. I was just questioning when the entertainment industry decided it was time to acknowledge black face was offensive.

• Like 3

Portraying a Black man was still being done as late as Soul Man (1986).

Convincing-e1447458575547-300x295.jpg

stevens2-203x300.jpg

I’m not sure if there are any later (non-ironic) examples.

If we're talking black face specifically, Soul Man is the most recent major movie I can think of where black face was done without intentionally pointing out how offensive it is. Obviously, there are incidents of people doing it on their own every year but not in a major movie to my knowledge.

If we're talking any other sort of white people browning up, Ashton Kutcher was in those popchips commercials five fucking years ago. And I don't think Mike Myers used makeup, but Love Guru is close enough.

• Like 4

stevens2-203x300.jpg

Aziz Ansari doing the running joke in Master of None that even Indians didn't know this was brown face was one of the funniest moments in that show's first season.

Also the Wachowski's did do a lot of race bending in Cloud Atlas that made a lot of people go ummmm

• Like 3

Aziz Ansari doing the running joke in Master of None that even Indians didn't know this was brown face was one of the funniest moments in that show's first season.

Also the Wachowski's did do a lot of race bending in Cloud Atlas that made a lot of people go ummmm

I'm not entirely sure how one could do what the Wachowskis (and the original novel) were attempting without some race and gender swapping. I guess that's just a white person making excuses for yellowface though. I definitely understand people having complaints about it.

• Like 1

Since we're talking about inappropriate and uncomfortable instances of blackface in Hollywood (as if there are appropriate and comfortable examples) and over-the-top Lawrence Olivier performances, we get both in the 1966 historical epic, Khartoum, in which Olivier plays the self-proclaimed messianic ruler (Mahdi), Muhammad Ahmad (1844-1884):

:

Khartoum-01.jpg

• Like 3

My two favourite examples of "Wait, what?" racial casting are John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror and Charlton Heston as Mexican in A Touch of Evil which manages to be good despite that.

• Like 3

For a second, I was very worried the Golden Girls had an episode with blackface.

• Like 2

Yeah I was like, "No, Betty White with an urn of ashes!"

Thank God.

Anyway back to Jazz Singer. I watched it awhile ago obvs. I remember thinking it was boring in parts (like a giant Neil Diamond concert movie) but odds bits have stuck in my head and will not go away. His hair. His glittery top. The very old baby.

Not sure why it has staying power.

• Like 2

Sorry! I should have included “Happy Thanksgiving!”

Don't worry I got it.

Happy Turkey Day to all my American friends here!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this