🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 25 - Bride & Prejudice

Finally a Pride & Prejudice movie for people who have always pictured Mr. Darcy as a racist mound of flavorless jello.

We watched:

large_znf82qBFcZ2G7lzjW6uKiqTyRN1.jpg

• Like 4

I really liked this a lot in the beginning the more it was like a Bollywood movie. As it left India for London and the USA, it became less of a Bollywood movie which I thought was an interesting way of presenting the story.

What I thought was not interesting was the guy playing Darcy.

• Like 5

I really liked this a lot in the beginning the more it was like a Bollywood movie. As it left India for London and the USA, it became less of a Bollywood movie which I thought was an interesting way of presenting the story.

What I thought was not interesting was the guy playing Darcy.

Even the cast didn't find him interesting. There was no chemistry and the end credits never show him singing.

• Like 4

Even the cast didn't find him interesting. There was no chemistry and the end credits never show him singing.

I watched a little bit of the special features on the DVD. Someone, I believe the director, said the actor really enjoyed visiting places and learning about India.

• Like 4

As soon as Naveen Andrews walked out I was like "OH!" and then the white dude walked out behind him and I was like "NO!"

I legit came into this movie knowing nothing other than it was an Indian interpretation of P&P and that fucking poster did not scream white dude to me for some reason. Like either they darkened his skin to match hers or lightened hers to match his. Either way fuck that poster and it getting a boring ass white dude by me.

• Like 6

As soon as Naveen Andrews walked out I was like "OH!" and then the white dude walked out behind him and I was like "NO!"

I legit came into this movie knowing nothing other than it was an Indian interpretation of P&P and that fucking poster did not scream white dude to me for some reason. Like either they darkened his skin to match hers or lightened hers to match his. Either way fuck that poster and it getting a boring ass white dude by me.

Same! I guess I wasn’t paying attention to the poster either. And when Mush-mouth showed up at the wedding, and knowing what I knew about Darcy - and hearing him complain about “Delhi Belly” - I was like “uh-oh...here we go.”

• Like 6

Plot wise it seemed to me that they were trying really hard to follow the book exactly but then realized they were running out of time and shoved in 3 major plot points into the last 15 minutes, which failed miserably. The Wickham story line is supposed to be waaay more traumatizing for the family and it was instead super anti-climatic. But I did like that Lahki ended up punching him in the face instead of being forced to marry him lmao.

• Like 6

In the other thread, taylor pointed out the Harvey Weinstein cameo. Well, Roger Ebert notes this in his review of the movie:

Darcy makes tactless remarks, disagrees with the custom of arranged marriages, seems stuck-up, is distracted by business, and creates the possibility that Lalita may have to follow her mother's instructions and marry the creepy Hollywood mogul Mr. Kholi (Nitin Chandra Ganatra). Things could be worse; Harvey Weinstein is also visiting India.
  • Like 7

While we're taking about Naveen Andrews, him breaking out those dance moves are the beginning blew my mind.

I'm pretty sure they lightened Aishwarya Rai's skin in that poster and darkened Darcy's. The DVD wasn't nearly so egregious and I knew who this was a love story between.

https://goo.gl/images/9lNG7Q

• Like 5

While we're taking about Naveen Andrews, him breaking out those dance moves are the beginning blew my mind.

I'm pretty sure they lightened Aishwarya Rai's skin in that poster and darkened Darcy's. The DVD wasn't nearly so egregious and I knew who this was a love story between.

https://goo.gl/images/9lNG7Q

They definitely dyed her hair lighter for the movie.

Actually I noticed every movie that is an American production that she's in she suddenly has highlights...

• Like 5

That part was one of the highlights of the movie. I searched for other movies/clips for Naveen Andrews dancing, but nothing came up. Is it possible this is the one and only Bollywood musical he did?

• Like 4

That part was one of the highlights of the movie. I searched for other movies/clips for Naveen Andrews dancing, but nothing came up. Is it possible this is the one and only Bollywood musical he did?

Is this a true Bollywood musical? I've never actually seen one before but this felt way too American to really count it.

• Like 4

Is this a true Bollywood musical? I've never actually seen one before but this felt way too American to really count it.

No, I guess it's not a true one. On further Googling, I found out Naveen Andrews doesn't speak Hindi, so I'm sure that's a factor for why he hasn't done any other Bollywood movies.

And speaking of Hindi, I can't be the only person who wondered what this meant.

Balle Balle is a phrase used in many Panjabi songs to depict a feeling of happiness. It is used in the same way as the English expressions, "Hooray!" or "Hurrah!" It comes from the Persian word بله (baleh), which means "yes". It is used in Bhangra songs and dances generally set in the Punjab.
  • Like 6

The commentary mentioned Naveen Andrews was worried Abbott learning the dance. So, I get the feeling he's not a great dancer.

The Indian language they spoke was Punjabi according to the subtitles. That would make it, I think, a Pollywood. Im not an expert on the different Indian cinema studio systems. So, someone can probably correct me.

In the commentary, the director kept referring to the film as Bollywood style. I don't know if she was using Bollywood as a catch all for Indian movies though. I know she said at one point "a real Bollywood film would do a slow motion shot when they show Aishwarya Rai seeing Darcy the first time."

• Like 4

The commentary mentioned Naveen Andrews was worried Abbott learning the dance. So, I get the feeling he's not a great dancer.

The Indian language they spoke was Punjabi according to the subtitles. That would make it, I think, a Pollywood. Im not an expert on the different Indian cinema studio systems. So, someone can probably correct me.

In the commentary, the director kept referring to the film as Bollywood style. I don't know if she was using Bollywood as a catch all for Indian movies though. I know she said at one point "a real Bollywood film would do a slow motion shot when they show Aishwarya Rai seeing Darcy the first time."

I'm not sure she's the best expert on Bollywood movies. From IMDB: "Gurinder Chadha was born in Kenya, and grew up in Southall, London, England." Her other credit of note is Bend it Like Beckham.

I'm not sure she's the best expert on Bollywood movies. From IMDB: "Gurinder Chadha was born in Kenya, and grew up in Southall, London, England." Her other credit of note is Bend it Like Beckham.

Well, I don't think an Indian birth certificate is a necessity to become a Bollywood expert.

I mean, look at Barack Obama. He wasn't born in America, but he sure became an American politics expert.

• Like 5

Plot wise it seemed to me that they were trying really hard to follow the book exactly but then realized they were running out of time and shoved in 3 major plot points into the last 15 minutes, which failed miserably. The Wickham story line is supposed to be waaay more traumatizing for the family and it was instead super anti-climatic. But I did like that Lahki ended up punching him in the face instead of being forced to marry him lmao.

I enjoyed the first half of the movie, but then the 2nd half was losing me more and more (but Darcy was not great from the start). But yeah, it started to feel rushed at the end and they were cramming a bunch in all at once. The more it got away from the original story the less and less I was feeling it.

Plus the stronger musical numbers were in the beginning as well, so that also didn't help.

While the Darcy was super miscast and killed some of my enjoyment. I felt like almost everyone else was doing a good job with their P&P characters. I thought Aishwarya did a good job as Lalita (Elizabeth). And I thought the Mr. Collins equivalent (Mr. Knoli) was pretty funny and a good/ more modern take on the character.

And I totally forgot Alexis Bledel was in this. It surprised me for a second time when I was rewatching for this week, lol.

• Like 4

And I totally forgot Alexis Bledel was in this. It surprised me for a second time when I was rewatching for this week, lol.

Oh this reminds me how much they missed the opportunity for Lalita to tell Darcy's mom off! Elizabeth absolutely SLAMMING Lady Catherine is one of my favorite moments and they completely missed that.

• Like 5

Oh this reminds me how much they missed the opportunity for Lalita to tell Darcy's mom off! Elizabeth absolutely SLAMMING Lady Catherine is one of my favorite moments and they completely missed that.

Yeah I don't think I liked that Lady Catherine's character was morphed into being Darcy's mom in this..

I mean, I get why they did that instead.. but yeah there wasn't that satisfying moment of going off on her.

• Like 4

Well, I don't think an Indian birth certificate is a necessity to become a Bollywood expert.

I mean, look at Barack Obama. He wasn't born in America, but he sure became an American politics expert.

Granted. I meant to imply that she had done no other Bollywood movies to date. I should have stuck to her credits and not her background.

• Like 3

This is funny because I completely forgot she was in this and I was so excited when she showed up. I guess this explains why her film career never really took off.

• Like 4

Granted. I meant to imply that she had done no other Bollywood movies to date. I should have stuck to her credits and not her background.

Just kidding around :)

• Like 4

I agree. I know I mentioned earlier that I also was digging the first half quite a bit (minus bland Darcy). And the beginning was when it was more "Bollywood". The song/dance numbers in the beginning I liked a lot (especially the ones with Naveen dancing, lol). It wasn't even that the dancing was that great or complicated. But what I liked about the more "Bollywood" song/dance numbers was that they all looked like they were having fun, which made it fun to watch.

When they moved away from those it became less fun to watch because it caused me to pay more attention to how lame this Darcy is.

• Like 4

They never show him and Lalita kissing either.

There was that moment where it shows their silhouettes on the beach and it looks like they're going to kiss. But they continue hugging.

• Like 2

They never show him and Lalita kissing either.

There was that moment where it shows their silhouettes on the beach and it looks like they're going to kiss. But they continue hugging.

According to IMDB that might have been Aishwarya's choice.

I have never done a kissing scene nor do I have intentions to.
  • Like 4