Episode 131 — Honorary Mayor of Hollywood

62 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

It's sure been a while since Jason Mantzoukas popped in for an episode of Comedy Bang Bang. And I don't know about you, but I could really use a good interruption from a total stranger! We get the best of both worlds this week as Scott and Jason are joined by Chip Gardner, former television personality and (hopefully) future Honorary Mayor of Hollywood. Enjoy, and if Chip's spiritual wellness inspires you to give, consider buying The Complete Comedy Bang Bang Christmas Collection. All proceeds go to the LA Regional Food Bank.

#2 Inspectah Shrek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:28 AM

Maybe the Darrell Hammond cutting jokes are funny in a vacuum or something but if you've listened to his interview on Fresh Air and still think it's the height of comedy you're probably a sociopath hope this helps. Didn't stick around for the inevitable Jerry Sandusky jokes.

#3 Pod Pooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

Jason looks evil. Cool.

#4 Kaitis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:04 AM

That's not Earwolf Studios in the pictures is it?

#5 JoshuaDRazo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

I don't think it's the one they usually record in.
The first Jason Mantzoukas and Andy Daly was great, and I wished they would appear on a episode again. This one is as hilarious

#6 Julia Hays

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey native. New to Los Angeles.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

When Jason talks about Chip's leaky face, I imagine it looks much like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

[attachment=10411,241]

#7 Gerard Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:02 AM

Oh why do Andys characters all end up being evil? :D

#8 djwetmouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:22 AM

I loved the episode! If we can't laugh about cutting, putting children in danger, and suicide by traffic what can we laugh about?

#9 Sheldon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

I love how annoyed they are getting with chip.

#10 Julia Hays

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey native. New to Los Angeles.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

Me too, Sheldon. It seems like Chip just can't learn to shut his leaky face the f*ck up.

#11 Rashid Harris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

Please, please, please, for the love of god, more dirty talking Don Knotts. That impression was cut that off way too quickly. Perhaps he could be an "open door policy" guest in the future? Never before today had I considered a world with a dirty Knotts and now I can't get enough of it.

#12 Phil Ochs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

That 6th picture of Jason with the mountains in the background is the most glamorous image of podcasting as I've ever seen. Since The Moment, I've liquidated all my funds, bestowed the appropriate farewells upon my family, friends, and more-tolerated dealers, and, after much reflection, canceled my subscription to Canadian Woodworking.

#13 Shahruz Shaukat

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

it's room 2: 'the sunset lab'

#14 David Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

Wowww. My grandfather was a radio personality for a while, and Chip Gardner sounds JUST LIKE HIM.
Very... mixed-feelings-y.

#15 Jeff1326657679

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

Jason's photo on the Earwolf homepage looks like a serial killer's mugshot.

#16 Alex Steinm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Wasn't crazy about the cutting jokes...hit a little close to home. I dunno maybe I'm a tad biased, I enjoy dark humor, but for some reason how lightly it was taken I found the cutting stuff...not funny.

Other than that a fucking amazing episode. PLEASE BRING JASON BACK!

#17 marcin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Jason Mantzoukas plays angry like very few comedians can. I honestly get a little scared while laughing at him. Also, Scott, thank you so much for the Spaceballs theme. I watched that movie twenty times as a kid, and from the opening chords, I knew it immediately, and it made me very happy.

#18 spriest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

As much as I enjoyed the majority of the episode, I wish Jason Mantzoukas would have relaxed a little bit and let Andy Daly drive his own character a little bit more. I get that that was the "game" at certain points, but... yknow, the guy's a professional, you don't need to keep "setting him up" every single minute. That's all, minor quip with an overall enjoyable episode.

#19 Zach Moffatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

The way Jason and Andy played off of each other in this episode was amazing. Jason was setting Andy up so well for crazy jumping off points. There's a noticeable difference when all the guests are familiar with the show and know a lot of the old references. To me this episode is one of the best. It's like an improv clinic. Sorry to be so gushing, but this episode was stellar, to me.
-
Also, Hot Saucerman, if you're still doing those 'Making of the Bread' blogs. Then, I think this episode should get that treatment.

#20 Steve Henel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

I haven't heard Scott give one of Andy's characters such a hard time since the Irish limerick episode. As yoozj, Andy really stepped up to the plate.