🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 3 - Cartoons

Jon & Lauren are especially animated on today’s episode because it’s all about cartoons! Lauren explains which Animaniac is hottest, Jon was Lil in his Rugrats fan club, and both of them wonder if they have more cartoon memories of childhood than real memories. Plus: Tiny Toons, Inspector Gadget, Little Bits, Ninja Turtles, Arthur, Alvin & The Chipmunks, and a Very Special Episode with Scott Aukerman & Betsy Sodaro!

This may be from my generation which probably precedes by about 5-7 years, but I was exposed to the Japanese exports such as Battlestar Galactica and Robotech, which I loved, despite the sci-fi genre, were "realistic" where war and conflict resulted in deaths. Deaths of major characters! Robotech probably produced, through the Transformer toyline, the best toy, Skyfire/Jetfire, which was based off the Robotech Veritech YF-1J.

Also, there were some dark tones with shows like Galaxy Rangers, Orbots, etc.

With respect to G.I.Joe, they did finally kill off a main character, Duke. Also, there's the transformation of Cobra Commander to a well... giant cobra. In Transformers The Movie: TONS of deaths. Ironhide, Prowl, ...everyone on the shuttle coming to Earth, eventually to Optimus Prime.. and that was just the "good guys".

Last but not least, touching on the "PSA" portions of cartoons, look up G.I.Joe PSAs on youtube. I imagine they will entertain greatly.

P.S. noteable mentions: Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Bionic 6, Gummy Bears (the whole disney onslaught of the early 90s, Ducktales, Chip n Dale, Gizmo Duck, etc.), Freakazoid, X-Men and Spiderman, Batman of the early 90s with that style of futuristic art-deco, anyway.. i could go on.. but thats my $.02.

• Like 2

Cartoons is a hell of a category because there are so many that are just products of their times. You could do an episode solely on celebrities who had cartoon series.

Life with Louie got mentioned as did Bobby's World. But there was Mr. T, Little Rosey (Rosanne Barr), MC Hammer, New Kids on the Block, Happy Days (they time travelled!), Punky Brewster, Chuck Norris, Hulk Hogan.... it was pretty nuts!

• Like 1

This is so completely unhinged from the get-go (including the ads), it's amazing. I love how they alternate between moments of getting completely lost in the moment and then having moments of self-awareness where they talk about how insane it all is.

(Also, how can you talk about Arthur without mentioning the fist meme?)

Oh man, when Animaniacs did the song with all the state capitals, I memorized it and got a 50 out of 50 on a test. Now I know maaaaaybe 11.

It's funny that they were talking about not wanting to watch "serious" shows and just wanting to watch cartoons, but they love Doug. I never liked Doug because it seemed too "serious" to me lol. like, it's basically about real life. He goes to school and maybe he had a job I dunno. and shows where the main character has a perpetually unrequited crush always frustrated the hell out of me. (side note: did Doug & Patti ever get together? I feel like maybe they did at one point.)

I was into the cartoons that they mentioned that were just insane, like Ren & Stimpy, Animaniacs, Freakazoid!, Pinky & The Brain. Rocko's Modern Life I loved, and it was sort of about real life, but it was also weird as hell.

I never liked Rugrats. I feel like I spent a lot of my childhood sitting in the living room of my mother's friends with all of my mother's friends' children, or my babysitter and all of her children. Real life Rugrats soured me on cartoon Rugrats.

also I agree w/ Lauren re: Wacko, except if Wacko were a girl.

completely unrelated thought: if Wacko were a girl, she'd be Jessica McKenna. hmm.

great episode, though did cartoon network get the shaft? powerpuff girls, dexters lab, courage, all great stuff. and cartoon planet/space ghost coast to coast. does anyone remember how they debuted the space ghost stuff with this big countdown of the top superheroes, #2 was superman and then #1 was space ghost. haven't seen any talk of that online before.

one thing I loved about cartoon network and disney channel was that it was in the early days where they had no original content, I'd get to see weird 80s cartoons like Pirates of Dark Water that were just slightly before my time, shitty hannah barbara limited animation garbage from the 60s and 70s, and all sorts of disney/looney tunes/fleischer shorts from 30s to 70s. I was all about that, except for the Hannah Barbara stuff, which I hated.

if bk kids club doesnt come up in the next ep I hope they come up in the cartoons sequel, because those are the most 90s cartoon characters of all.

I can't believe I'd forgotten about this, but when they brought up Rocko's Modern Life, it reminded me of this scene in one of the early episodes where Mrs. Bighead straight up tries to date rape Rocko.

I don't remember it exactly, but I think Mrs. Bighead is being neglected by Mr. Bighead, so she gets Rocko to come over and help around the house. She offers to make him a drink, goes over to a spice rack and they play out a visual gag panning across jars labeled something like "German Fly" (flies in lederhosen), "French Fly" (flies in striped shirt/berets), obviously building up to the jar labeled "Spanish Fly", which was an old slang term for roofies. I don't think he actually ends up drinking it, but I swear that happened in an episode.

Am I crazy, does anyone else remember this?

• Like 1

Cartoons not mentioned in the pod with theme songs burned into my memory:

Ducktales woowoo...

Snorks - Sing along with the Snorks...

Gummybears bouncing here and there and everywhere

Muppet babies we make our dreams come true

• Like 2

they play out a visual gag panning across jars labeled something like "German Fly" (flies in lederhosen), "French Fly" (flies in striped shirt/berets)

I love how you were right, but your memory apparently invented this part. Perfectly fits the spirit of this podcast.

• Like 1

They also skipped the whole Disney afternoon lineup (all with great theme songs): Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Chip n Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, Goof Troop, Aladdin, Gargoyles.... also, it's not Disney, but no mention of Batman: The Animates Series either!

• Like 2

Listened to the whole ep waiting for Batman the animated series. I'd get so mad at my mom if i got picked up late from school and missed it...

This show is so pointless and insane. I'm gonna listen to every episode.

Two "boy" shows I loved when I was a kid were Johnny Quest and Mighty Max. Mighty Max had those Polly Pocket style playsets, pretty dope.

Two "boy" shows I loved when I was a kid were Johnny Quest and Mighty Max. Mighty Max had those Polly Pocket style playsets, pretty dope.

Fuck yea I had so many of those Mighty Max ones. They were so pointless.

Yes to Jayce and Bionic 6. So-so show and toys, but great animation and earwormy, rockin' themes.