#121 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 29 November 2017 - 02:20 AM, said:

If covers are okay so should duets right?

God, I love this song - in a completely ironic way. I hope you all have or find someone in your lives that you can duet this with.
Shad: Is this conceivably as big as the yogurt deal?
Striptease (1996)

Chris: Maybe that's why they call themselves "grunts." Cos a grunt can take it. Can take anything.
Platoon (1986)

#122 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostCameron H., on 29 November 2017 - 04:39 AM, said:

God, I love this song - in a completely ironic way. I hope you all have or find someone in your lives that you can duet this with.

It breaks my heart into smithereens. They performed it at the Grammys one year and Neil Diamond's acting during the musical number is a hundred times better than in the Jazz singer!

#123 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

Just a head's up, but Neil Diamond has done - not one- but THREE Christmas albums! All of which are available for purchase, at a very reasonable price, over on iTunes! Onse includes an incredible dreadful version of Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song."

Anyway, you should all buy at least one.

Also, off topic, I've probably (willingly) listened to The New Kids on the Block's "Funky, Funky Christmas" 20 times since Thanksgiving. This is my best possible life.

Striptease (1996)

Chris: Maybe that's why they call themselves "grunts." Cos a grunt can take it. Can take anything.
Platoon (1986)

#124 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

!! Are we talking about awful Christmas songs we love? I have a whole playlist devoted to this.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#125 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 29 November 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

!! Are we talking about awful Christmas songs we love? I have a whole playlist devoted to this.

We can! I think we’ve said everything we need to about The Jazz Singer.

Hanson just released a new Christmas album. Yes, I bought it.

Striptease (1996)

Platoon (1986)

#126 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

Okay, awful Christmas songs that may just do it for you! I'll just do two for now.

First off, remember Aqua? No? Remember that song "Barbie Girl"? Well, that's Aqua! They release a Christmas song which is very... 90s European. I think this song won me over with really weird jabs at Cocacola for making Santa red not green, and Wham! for Last Christmas.

Bon Jovi in the early 80s covered Clarence Carter's "Back Door Santa" which is exactly what you think it's about. However, that wasn't his first Christmas song. He did the main vocals for a song I'll make no apologizes for enjoying, R2-D2 We Wish You A Merry Christmas:

My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...

#127 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

I mean, “awful” is such a subjective term...We had an impromptu, in-the-kitchen, dance party last night to Fred Schneider and the Superions “Fruitcake.” 3/4 of my Family loves this song.

Striptease (1996)

Platoon (1986)

#128 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:38 AM

View PostCameron H., on 30 November 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

I mean, “awful” is such a subjective term...We had an impromptu, in-the-kitchen, dance party last night to Fred Schneider and the Superions “Fruitcake.” 3/4 of my Family loves this song.

Curious who the 1/4 was.

As a big Beatles fan and therefore a Paul McCartney fan what is is your stance on Wonderful Christmas Time?

#129 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:46 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 30 November 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

Curious who the 1/4 was.

The Joyless One :)

Posted Image

As a big Beatles fan and therefore a Paul McCartney fan what is is your stance on Wonderful Christmas Time?

Quite possibly one of his finest songs - after “Temporary Secretary.”
Striptease (1996)

Platoon (1986)

#130 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:05 AM

Speaking of “Wonderful Christmastime,” did you know Jimmy Buffett did a cover it on his album 'Tis the SeaSon (Get it?)

Anyway, her’s a gem of a tune from that album (which I also own)

Striptease (1996)

Platoon (1986)

#131 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:35 AM

View PostCameron H., on 30 November 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

Speaking of “Wonderful Christmastime,” did you know Jimmy Buffett did a cover it on his album 'Tis the SeaSon (Get it?)

Anyway, her’s a gem of a tune from that album (which I also own)

Sadly the video is not available.

I have his Christmas Island CD but not SeaSon(still groaning over that) The titular track.

#132 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:50 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 30 November 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

Sadly the video is not available.

I have his Christmas Island CD but not SeaSon(still groaning over that) The titular track.

Ooh, that's delightful! I'll have to pick that up. I'm sure 2/4 of us will love it.
Striptease (1996)

Platoon (1986)

#133 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostCameron H., on 28 November 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

And since we're on the subject: I did kind of cringe when Gethard pointed out that "Hip Hop was happening at the time." I'm sure it wasn't his intention, but it did come off like, "Black people can't possibly like Neil Diamond; they like rap." Or...maybe people are people and can like whatever the fuck they want? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think this is a good observation. I think we are reacting to Neil Diamond doing a mintrel performance so strongly (and yeah, it's pretty dang bad), that we actually revert to the mentality that led to the writing of the club being offended by Diamond's presence. Like, black people and black culture are so insular that it is INCONCEIVABLE that they might like something not directly associated with that culture? It's like we're running in circles and getting back to being offensive.

But seriously, white people, don't put on race-altering makeup. I mean, holy shit. Come on.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." -Elwood Blues, The Blues Brothers (1980)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#134 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 30 November 2017 - 03:11 AM, said:

Bon Jovi in the early 80s covered Clarence Carter's "Back Door Santa" which is exactly what you think it's about. However, that wasn't his first Christmas song. He did the main vocals for a song I'll make no apologizes for enjoying, R2-D2 We Wish You A Merry Christmas:

Being a Stars Wars fan, I am ashamed that I was unfamiliar with this. Holy shit, this is bonkers. Anyway, my unabashed favorite Christmas album is Rob Halford - Winter Songs. It's half classics, half originals and I love the hell out of it. I mean, I worship at the Halford Altar, but I hope you all can get some enjoyment out of it...

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." -Elwood Blues, The Blues Brothers (1980)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#135 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

I don't even really like Christmas, but this song is my FUCKING JAM! I basically wait all year for it to be Christmas time just to blast this and Last Christmas.

#136 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good crew track. Even a not so good one. I can even tolerate the Ma$e verse.

#137 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:54 AM

Still a week behind on eps so guess who finally got to hear an Elektra shout out!!!
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch