🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 26 Preview (Jammer Lea's 2nd Pick)

A "parkitect." He also quotes poetry (literate/sensitive), has a cottage in the woods (outdoorsy), hokey player (athletic), a church goer (obviously important for the intended audience), and arrives to events 2 hours early (punctual/reliable).

I feel like being two hours early is a little insane tbh. And he orders a beer for her?! How rude is that? And what about when he... ok I’ve got nothing else.

I have a lot of thoughts about this movie but I’ll wait til tomorrow so I can type it at work lol.

Also I just watched The Muppets on dvd and there was anti smoking ad after all the Disney movie previews. With a website and everything. Weird.

• Like 4

We're all in agreement that Toby is the Verizon guy, yes?

I seriously thought it was a Ben Gibbard cameo.

Let's run down Miles charm points shall we?

Want to add that he's super polite and he still eats fried cheese and drinks beer while looking like this.

(link slightly NSFW)

• Like 6

I feel like being two hours early is a little insane tbh. And he orders a beer for her?! How rude is that? And what about when he... ok I’ve got nothing else.

I have a lot of thoughts about this movie but I’ll wait til tomorrow so I can type it at work lol.

Also I just watched The Muppets on dvd and there was anti smoking ad after all the Disney movie previews. With a website and everything. Weird.

A con for Miles is he can get pretty pissy. Like, sometimes it's justifiable, but sometimes he just storms off. I'm not saying she's not wrong, but he never gives her even a second to explain before he's out the door.

• Like 5

A maybe con for Miles is that being from New York and a hockey player he probably is a Rangers fan. If he's not, that's a definite pro.

• Like 3

I watched this last night and was surprised it was less than 90 minutes. They packed a LOT into 90 minutes.

The dog was my big question. They should never have set it up that way to just abandon it later. I think the TV was their way of "modernizing" Groundhog Day's radio. (IMDB trivia says her clock was the same style as the one in Groundhog Day.) I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Amy Smart's character was very unlikable but she played it well. The few flashes the character had came off nicely and she is so cute. (Plus she's an HDTGM favorite from the Crank movies.) Mark-Paul Gosselaar (sp?) did VERY well. Except for the petulance at not letting her explain the old boyfriend I really liked his character.

I ordered The Muppet Movie on Blu-Ray and it didn't get delivered as expected yesterday so I hope to watch it tonight. I will jump in the discussion though as I remember plenty from repeated viewings. I got to meet Austin Pendleton (Max) once in New York. If I can find the picture i'll post it.

• Like 4

I watched this last night and was surprised it was less than 90 minutes. They packed a LOT into 90 minutes.

The dog was my big question. They should never have set it up that way to just abandon it later. I think the TV was their way of "modernizing" Groundhog Day's radio. (IMDB trivia says her clock was the same style as the one in Groundhog Day.) I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Amy Smart's character was very unlikable but she played it well. The few flashes the character had came off nicely and she is so cute. (Plus she's an HDTGM favorite from the Crank movies.) Mark-Paul Gosselaar (sp?) did VERY well. Except for the petulance at not letting her explain the old boyfriend I really liked his character.

I ordered The Muppet Movie on Blu-Ray and it didn't get delivered as expected yesterday so I hope to watch it tonight. I will jump in the discussion though as I remember plenty from repeated viewings. I got to meet Austin Pendleton (Max) once in New York. If I can find the picture i'll post it.

The problem is there's way too many plots, they don't have time to show her getting the dog every time. There's no way that Kate even goes on the date with Miles on every day, half of them are her either stalking her ex or hanging out with the other girl characters. Also, who shares a dog with an ex? That seems like more trouble than its worth.

Here are some stray observations from over the years:

1) For each 'new' day, the lyric from the song 12 Days appears (someone walks by carrying three hens with a french flag, the kid's hockey team is the Lords and on day 10 he jumps over that pile of garbage, I also haven't seen this in a year so I have no other examples)

2) Where the hell did Kate get her cookie decorating prowess from? She went from never baking to the next day doing intricate designs. Didn't they just bake the Cherry Chip loaf?

3) The neighbor has the best apartment I've ever seen. I love her. I hope her and the guy from the department store have a long happy life together.

4) Why would the star couple (who I find adorable) go to Kate's dad's house on Christmas Eve. In their eyes, this weirdo came over and butted into their lives, they got engaged and they decided to go to a party full of strangers? Why are any of those people there?

5) Do you think she made Toby pay for all those new clothes or she bought them for him? Also, I liked his glasses.

6) I would like to see the entire last day from start to finish to see how she manages to get all of these people together and become best friends with Toby, the star couple and Miles' kids.

7) I would have called the cops if I was her ex and she showed up while I was engagement ring shopping.

• Like 5

A maybe con for Miles is that being from New York and a hockey player he probably is a Rangers fan. If he's not, that's a definite pro.

Didn't he say he was from Long Island? Maybe he's an Islanders fan.

• Like 4

The problem is there's way too many plots, they don't have time to show her getting the dog every time. There's no way that Kate even goes on the date with Miles on every day, half of them are her either stalking her ex or hanging out with the other girl characters. Also, who shares a dog with an ex? That seems like more trouble than its worth.

2) Where the hell did Kate get her cookie decorating prowess from? She went from never baking to the next day doing intricate designs. Didn't they just bake the Cherry Chip loaf?

3) The neighbor has the best apartment I've ever seen. I love her. I hope her and the guy from the department store have a long happy life together.

This is my biggest problem with the movie. She only has 12 days (and she doesn't know that) to get everything done. In Groundhog Day Phil must have had hundreds of days and they showed him slowly picking things up (learning the piano, for instance). Both movies, though, suffer the same problem in that Phil only has the one day to do things.

Also, what time did she hit her head? I thought it was mid-afternoon/early evening since she left the holiday party to go shopping. Yet one time she learns Jack is going ring shopping at noon and she shows up. Even if she hit her head mid-morning that gives her less than a day each time since the day resets at midnight.

I liked the spritzer lady but both her big moments came in response to Amy so their constant repetition seemed off. At least sniffing the bottle made a little sense even if Amy hadn't said something just before that the first time. The "I spritzed you. You passed out." every other time made no sense because Amy never asked what happened.

• Like 5

1) For each 'new' day, the lyric from the song 12 Days appears (someone walks by carrying three hens with a french flag, the kid's hockey team is the Lords and on day 10 he jumps over that pile of garbage, I also haven't seen this in a year so I have no other examples)

4) Why would the star couple (who I find adorable) go to Kate's dad's house on Christmas Eve. In their eyes, this weirdo came over and butted into their lives, they got engaged and they decided to go to a party full of strangers? Why are any of those people there?

5) Do you think she made Toby pay for all those new clothes or she bought them for him? Also, I liked his glasses.

6) I would like to see the entire last day from start to finish to see how she manages to get all of these people together and become best friends with Toby, the star couple and Miles' kids.

7) I would have called the cops if I was her ex and she showed up while I was engagement ring shopping.

I think you hit the nail on the head about how people seemingly remember her or her actions sometimes but not others. Like Bill who watches over her fallen body. She gets up, calls him by his name, and gives him a gift. Now imagine you are Bill, a kindly older gentleman. You see a stranger fall down in a mall and nobody is helping her so you go over to help. You ask if she's okay and she calls you by your name and gives you a gift. You think to yourself "boy that's strange" and go on with your day as planned. You go to the botanical gardens, hopefully those pesky rollerbladers aren't around, and look at your favourite plants. Then the girl from before shows up and sets you up with her neighbour. Then she invites you over to her parent's house for a party. Why are you not more weirded out by this series of events? It's not normal.

• Like 6

I think you hit the nail on the head about how people seemingly remember her or her actions sometimes but not others. Like Bill who watches over her fallen body. She gets up, calls him by his name, and gives him a gift. Now imagine you are Bill, a kindly older gentleman. You see a stranger fall down in a mall and nobody is helping her so you go over to help. You ask if she's okay and she calls you by your name and gives you a gift. You think to yourself "boy that's strange" and go on with your day as planned. You go to the botanical gardens, hopefully those pesky rollerbladers aren't around, and look at your favourite plants. Then the girl from before shows up and sets you up with her neighbour. Then she invites you over to her parent's house for a party. Why are you not more weirded out by this series of events? It's not normal.

My favorite is thinking about Toby's day. He has a nice blind date planned for Christmas Eve (which...why are so many people going on blind dates on Christmas Eve?) and decides to get to the bar hours early, or at least waits for hours at a bar for her. Some random woman shows up, announces that this date is never going to show up. She then bullies him into changing his wardrobe and takes him to the mall for a shopping spree. Afterwards returning him to the same bar where her co-worker/best friend is waiting. After she has a quick drink with her own date, she then invites him over to her dad's house in another few hours. And he goes. And apparently falls in love with the co-worker immediately.

His day is insane. Not to mention the other time where a weird woman slammed him against a wall and yelled at him for making her relive a day over and over.

• Like 5

I'd really love to see a breakdown of each day by hour. Some days it send like she's spending scrambling around to do everything. Other days she's spending hours baking. Is it physically possible to do everything she does in the time she's given? I don't think it is.

This is my biggest problem with the movie. She only has 12 days (and she doesn't know that) to get everything done. In Groundhog Day Phil must have had hundreds of days and they showed him slowly picking things up (learning the piano, for instance). Both movies, though, suffer the same problem in that Phil only has the one day to do things

I think Harold Ramis said Bill Murray probably spent over a decade reliving the same groundhogs day.

This leads me to a question someone else hinted at: did Amy Smart only have 12 days no matter what? I know its a play on the song but let's say Amy Smart didn't fix anything. Let's say she spent 12 days learning piano. At 12 days was she done? Did she need to solve everyone's problems and (arguably) grow as a Pierson like Bill Murray did in Groundhogs Day?

• Like 6

This leads me to a question someone else hinted at: did Amy Smart only have 12 days no matter what? I know its a play on the song but let's say Amy Smart didn't fix anything. Let's say she spent 12 days learning piano. At 12 days was she done? Did she need to solve everyone's problems and (arguably) grow as a Pierson like Bill Murray did in Groundhogs Day?

I would say yes at 12 days she was just done because of the images of the 12 Days of Christmas lyrics. But she never saw them, so its not like she knew "ok I have one more try to make this right". Which honestly makes the 'spending all my money' day and the day where she just gave up a whole day after the kid jumped over garbage all the more baffling. Why waste it?

• Like 5

Which honestly makes the 'spending all my money' day and the day where she just gave up a whole day after the kid jumped over garbage all the more baffling. Why waste it?

To be fair, that was a pretty large pile of garbage. I think I would call it a day, too.

• Like 5

I would say yes at 12 days she was just done because of the images of the 12 Days of Christmas lyrics. But she never saw them, so its not like she knew "ok I have one more try to make this right". Which honestly makes the 'spending all my money' day and the day where she just gave up a whole day after the kid jumped over garbage all the more baffling. Why waste it?

I guess the answer to your question of why waste it is: she doesn't know she's wasting it. She may think she has infinite repeats. So, why not waste it?

• Like 4

I guess the answer to your question of why waste it is: she doesn't know she's wasting it. She may think she has infinite repeats. So, why not waste it?

I guess personally, I wouldn't assume that it was going on forever until like day 30. Then I'd start spending all my money. Or buy a plane ticket outta there.

• Like 3

I guess personally, I wouldn't assume that it was going on forever until like day 30. Then I'd start spending all my money. Or buy a plane ticket outta there.

Unplug the TV.

• Like 2

Unplug the TV.

This assumes Amy Smart knows what is causing the repeating days if the tv is even the cause. What do we all think Amy Smart thinks it is? If I were her, I would assume the perfume spray or possibly a head injury since that's where she starts over every day.

• Like 1

Re 12 days spell:

It seemed to me that she had a 12 day sentence no matter what her actions were. She assumes that the only way to break the cycle is to "do everything right" ala Groundhog Day (which as we have established, doesn't exist in this universe) but that's bullshit. There was at least one day where she really didn't do anything wrong. I certainly can't remember which day, but the only thing she got "wrong" was distracting her ex from buying the engagement ring. At the end of that "day" she speeds off to the country cabin to make sure he proposes... which we learn that he had indeed done so, just without a ring. (Please note - the dog is not at the cabin or with her when she screeches in - but I'm digressing)

I kind of thought of it like she had 12 chances to get her shit in order because Zack Morris just landed and it's either win him now or lose him forever. If my theory is true (doubtful) then she could have tucked-in to her apartment and eaten donuts for 11 days and on the last one made sure he was into her and BAM... curse over.

• Like 2

Re 12 days spell:

It seemed to me that she had a 12 day sentence no matter what her actions were. She assumes that the only way to break the cycle is to "do everything right" ala Groundhog Day (which as we have established, doesn't exist in this universe) but that's bullshit. There was at least one day where she really didn't do anything wrong. I certainly can't remember which day, but the only thing she got "wrong" was distracting her ex from buying the engagement ring. At the end of that "day" she speeds off to the country cabin to make sure he proposes... which we learn that he had indeed done so, just without a ring. (Please note - the dog is not at the cabin or with her when she screeches in - but I'm digressing)

I kind of thought of it like she had 12 chances to get her shit in order because Zack Morris just landed and it's either win him now or lose him forever. If my theory is true (doubtful) then she could have tucked-in to her apartment and eaten donuts for 11 days and on the last one made sure he was into her and BAM... curse over.

So, what if she did everything right and was a good person on day 11 then blows off day 12 because being a good person didn't end the cycle? Is she stuck with whatever she did on day 12 no matter what? That seems like a potentially cruel message from the universe (or potentially great depending on when your lazy day is in the cycle).

• Like 2

So, what if she did everything right and was a good person on day 11 then blows off day 12 because being a good person didn't end the cycle? Is she stuck with whatever she did on day 12 no matter what? That seems like a potentially cruel message from the universe (or potentially great depending on when your lazy day is in the cycle).

The cruel emotionless void of the universe... that's what all Christmas movies are about, right?

• Like 5

The cruel emotionless void of the universe... that's what all Christmas movies are about, right?

This lady certainly thinks so...

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 2

I should clarify my post about The Room/The Disaster Artist.

I have never seen either nor read the Disaster Artist book. I had ordered The Room on DVD and the book when Paul mentioned local screenings of The Room. I will see The Room for the first time on Friday night at midnight in a Philadelphia theater. Local screenings of The Disaster Artist are few and far between so far. My local theater has had posters of it so I assume they'll get it. Hoping to see TDA this Sunday as a double feature with the TCM showing of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

• Like 1

Last night I had my annual viewing of 12 Dates of Christmas and was reminded that Sally, the step mom, is the best character in that movie. Her attitude with Amy Smart’s awfulness is just fantastic

• Like 3