🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 23 — The Room: Director\'s Edition

We're very fortunate to have two experts this week joining us to discuss The Room. First off we have Steve Heisler from The AV Club who has made it his journalistic duty to learn everything he can about this disaster. Also joining us is Mark (Oh, hi Mark!), aka Greg Sestero who also worked behind-the-scenes as a producer. Tuxedo football, outdoor green screens, unnecessary double casting, Mark knows how it all came to be and he's here to share it all with us. Enjoy!

I've enjoyed so many YouTube clips of this film, and thanks to this episode, I can't wait to finally watch the full-length movie. It sounds EPIC. Any listeners want to share what their favorite scenes are? I love that the HDTGM crew played the flower shop scene twice. This episode was 'tearing me apart'... with laughter.

[attachment=10477,245]

You're really doing yourself a disservice if you listen to this before watching the movie. Also, the Newgrounds The Room game is pretty amazing. You have to check it out, it does a good job of distilling the essence of this movie in playable form.

• Like 1

Amazing. Ugh-Mazing. You're my favorite podcast.

Julia, how can someone even BEGIN to chose a favorite scene? It's all glorious. The flower shop, the conversations between Lisa and her mother, the weird entrances and exits in scenes, the line delivery...You really have to let the entire film wash over you. Just soak it all in.

I'm about to listen to this podcast and everyone at work can't wait for me to bring it through, ever since I exposed them to this film last year.Just in case, you guys are keeping track of your overseas listeners, South Africa is definitely on the list. You guys are all brilliant and I can't wait to hear your comments.

@ Anne: You're right the entire thing is hilarious, but the ending is in a class of its own, especially when he humped the red dress, - I died on the spot!

So was "me underwears" in the script or one of the few ad-libs that snuck past Wiseau? Please tell me he wrote that line.

my favourite part of this episode was the description of Tommy Wiseau as an action figure that was put in the microwave for a few seconds. that, and the clip of Wiseau explaining the football in tuxedos scene!

I loved how Greg imitated Tommy's accent every time he talked about a conversation they had. I feel like there was SO MUCH stuff they didn't get into with Greg there. Maybe he is saving it all for his book?

And did anyone else feel like there was some holding back from Paul, Jason and June? Maybe they were being cautious with Greg there, but I expected this episode to be nuts. I was excited to hear Jason go apeshit with his anger. I would have loved for half of it to be with just them first.

It's true these DIRECTORS COMMENTARY episodes are more interviews and less of our regular rants. I see the benefits in both. However I thought Greg told some AMAZING tales that I've never heard and really gave you a lot of insight on the making of this wonderful disaster. Also Robin you are right, Greg couldn't get too into detail as his book publisher needed him to be selective with the stories that he told. Suffice to say the stuff we heard off air will make an amazing book.

So happy to have another excuse to watch this epic! It is true that it holds up to repeated viewings- or at least skipping the sex scenes and stock exteriors...Favorite scene? Just so hard to choose from the sublime flower shop to the acting tour-de-force of the final scene or the deft psychoanalysis dialogue related to the feminine mystique. Great to hear Jason's virgin experience of it too...I only wish that story of the guy who claimed to really direct The Room had been brought up...See Proudly Resents for that and check out this typically cagey and guarded interview with Tommy:
http://proudlyresents.com/tommyw/

@Ghost There's also another episode in which they interview the REAL director of the movie- Tommy never gave him credit. This seems to hold up because Greg briefly mentioned that Tommy had someone stand in for him as director when he was acting in a scene (which was most scenes).

Picking apart this movie never gets old. Can't wait for the book.

Has anyone ever heard from the actress that plays Lisa? Poor girl.

i know exactly how this movie got made. because its fucking fantastic. guess i can skip this episode...

There's a cinema in London (just off Leicester Square) called Prince Charles Cinema where they regularly show this - if you're ever in town you can find it here and more than likely catch a showing:
http://princecharlescinema.com/
I've teased myself repeatedly with Youtube clips and not yet seen the main event but goddamn, it's right up at the top of the list. Thanks for the episode!

Great episode! I watched The Room about a year ago and this was an incredibly fun and interesting take on the movie. Thanks for the fantastic show. Very funny stuff!

The fact that Tommy keeps changing his answer of how he got the $6M makes me wonder if he is more of a Denny in this story than he would like to admit.

• Like 1

One of my favorite things about the rooftop set is the fact the door is on the same plane as the wall. So, the stairwell down into the apartment building would be extending off the side of the building. Instead, it just looks like a little shed with no stairs in it. You can see it here (aslo, a great excuse to post this video):

http://youtu.be/mQ4KzClb1C4

Great episode. Before the podcast I had never heard of The Room, but the more I hear, read and see, the more I know I have to expose my family and friends to this experience!

Loved this episode. The Room will always have a special place in my heart.

Also, Mom DEFINITELY has breast cancer.