đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 22 - Uncle Buck

John Hughes month concludes on Cracked Movie Club! By 1989, John Hughes was closing out a decade of wild success with teen comedies and had been steadily branching out into more adult-oriented fare, most of which starred John Candy. Hughes kept that train rolling with Uncle Buck, starring Candy as the titular uncle who has to care for his brother’s kids after a family tragedy. Out of the surprisingly few films of which Candy was the star, Uncle Buck was the most successful, and its production inspired John Hughes to create Home Alone, which isn’t bad for a movie most of you probably haven’t seen.

On this week’s episode, Tom is joined by Cracked’s David Bell and The Bechdel Cast’s Jamie Loftus as they discuss how the movie was almost not filmed in Hughes’ home state of Illinois, whether or not Uncle Buck is in the mob, and why every teen in Winnetka is goth.

I'm still catching up on this podcast (in the Nolan month), but I'd love to suggest doing a month on Terry Gilliam. Obviously you can't leave off Brazil, but Time Bandits reminds me of my childhood more than any other movie. It would also be interesting to include 12 Monkeys, as a movie he didn't write and how it was different. Your choice if you want to go down the rabbit hole of the failed The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

• Like 1

I'm still catching up on this podcast (in the Nolan month), but I'd love to suggest doing a month on Terry Gilliam. Obviously you can't leave off Brazil, but Time Bandits reminds me of my childhood more than any other movie. It would also be interesting to include 12 Monkeys, as a movie he didn't write and how it was different. Your choice if you want to go down the rabbit hole of the failed The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

Umm ... hello?

tumblr_ohmf5dkFdu1v5mkg1o1_500.gif

I realized two things while listening to this:

1. Oh THAT'S where I know Gabbi Hoffman from!

2. This is the movie that I think of when I think of John Candy. My parents loved this moved and totally signed off of us watching it as kids. I don't know why ... the cuteness of the kids obscured the total rapeyness of this flick.

For me, it goes Uncle Buck, Spaceballs, Heavy Metal (he's the voice of Dan of Earth), Vacation, and Home Alone. PT&A doesn't really ping for me.

Sign in to follow this