Jump to content


Episode 176.5 - Minisode 176.5


24 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

    Earwolf Buddy

  • Administrators
  • 5,289 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

From the first actor ever CGI’d to whether The Jazz Singer actually being good is covered on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Jazz Singer, Blake J. Harris chats with The Jazz Singer producer Jerry Leider about the movie, and the Movie Bitches review Mother. Plus, you’ll find out which movie we will be covering next!




Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli...wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.
listen to scott aukerman on the latest ep of my podcast trends with benefits twb.cool

#2 grudlian.

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:19 AM

For anyone interested, here's a list of albums selling over 10 million copies in the US: https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

I must confess that the only reason I knew diamond was a certification is because I remember MTV News covering Britney Spears getting the award for one of her albums.

#3 SeaSkunk

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:26 AM

Wow, Paul abandoned Cameron H on that ep. Poor guy is going to die on his Neil Diamond love hill alone. :P

#4 Cinco DeNio

    The Mark of the group

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

I'm surprised they don't plug Jason in Big Mouth on Netflix. Wound up watching most of the season on Thanksgiving Day and it was HILARIOUS!
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#5 Cinco DeNio

    The Mark of the group

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

Thanks, Paul, for mentioning local screenings of The Room. Found one in Philadelphai next Friday and I'm looking forward to it! Never seen the movie so this will be awesome.
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#6 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

 SeaSkunk, on 01 December 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

Wow, Paul abandoned Cameron H on that ep. Poor guy is going to die on his Neil Diamond love hill alone. :P


I read this before I listened to the episode and I was like, "uh-oh..."

"I Got the Feelin'" that although some days feel like a "Coldwater Morning," I live a "Free Life." I don't mind being a "Solitary Man." "I am the Lion." And while some of you think that "You Got to Me," "I'm a Believer" in civil discourse. I believe that even when we disagree, we can still travel this road together - "Forever in Bluejeans" - toward greater understanding. Even if sometimes it requires a lot of "Red, Red Wine" to get there. :P
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#7 Cinco DeNio

    The Mark of the group

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

 Cameron H., on 01 December 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:


I read this before I listened to the episode and I was like, "uh-oh..."

"I Got the Feelin'" that although some days feel like a "Coldwater Morning," I live a "Free Life." I don't mind being a "Solitary Man." "I am the Lion." And while some of you think that "You Got to Me," "I'm a Believer" in civil discourse. I believe that even when we disagree, we can still travel this road together - "Forever in Bluejeans" - toward greater understanding. Even if sometimes it requires a lot of "Red, Red Wine" to get there. :P

What does your friend Shilo think of your win?
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#8 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

 Cinco DeNio, on 01 December 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

What does your friend Shilo think of your win?


I have no idea. She and “Desiree” ran off to join “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show.”
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#9 Cinco DeNio

    The Mark of the group

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

 Cameron H., on 01 December 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:


I have no idea. She and “Desiree” ran off to join “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show.”

I like discussing this with you. Some might call it "Beautiful Noise" but I like it. I just tell them to mind their own business "And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind". "If You Go Away" I would be sad.
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#10 LTL

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Correction of the correction GOLD is 500 000 in the U.S. and several albums have gone Diamond plus ++ ex.: Alanis Jagged Little Pill , Adele 21 ...Shania Twain Women In Me to name a few.

#11 ironicmerman

    Sentient hot dogs

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

 Cameron H., on 01 December 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:


I have no idea. She and “Desiree” ran off to join “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show.”

That takes some real Stones. Do you think they're still in America?
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#12 Cinco DeNio

    The Mark of the group

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

 ironicmerman, on 01 December 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

That takes some real Stones. Do you think they're still in America?

Maybe we should ask Holly Holy.
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#13 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

I just wanted to say, I’m really excited about The Disaster Artist. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to watch it until it’s available to stream, but I wish everyone involved - especially our wonderful hosts - the best of luck! (Although, from what I’ve heard it’s an absolutely brilliant film)
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#14 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

I too am very excited for The Disaster Artist but unfortunately have no idea when that will make it's way over here. If it wasn't for the fact James Franco is involved I don't know if it would ever come over to a wide release anyway. Hopefully it'll get some Academy awards attention and that way I don't have to wait a year or more.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#15 Ryan Sz

    Technically a scientist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

Having listened to The Room episode when it originally came out, it's fun to realize that that episode basically set up the hosts being in The Disaster Artist. I am kinda bummed that while I'm on vacation next week for my birthday I'm going to see The Disaster Artist, but there are apparently no midnight showings of The Room, as I would love to see it in a theater at least once.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#16 Quasar Sniffer

    Elitist Prick

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

I do have a fairly local indie theater that is getting The Disaster Artist. I'm really looking forward to it, as I greatly admire the people involved and am fascinated by The Room. Not so fascinated that I can watch it more than once without Rifftrax, but the phenomenon and the personality of Wiseau is just one-of-a-kind bizarre. And I am just all-in on James Franco. I really admire him as an artist even if I don't like everything he does. Plus, now that Johnny Depp is revealed to be a dirtball wife-beater, I really need a quirky, independent-minded, creative, handsome actor/writer to admire. Franco's got it, babyyyyy. He better not turn out to be a creep!

And I agree with everything Paul said about Cameron H.'s post. Way to raise the level of discourse on the entire Internet single-handedly, good sir!
Posted Image
"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat - a Studebaker."
- The Muppet Movie (1979)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#17 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 02 December 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I do have a fairly local indie theater that is getting The Disaster Artist. I'm really looking forward to it, as I greatly admire the people involved and am fascinated by The Room. Not so fascinated that I can watch it more than once without Rifftrax, but the phenomenon and the personality of Wiseau is just one-of-a-kind bizarre. And I am just all-in on James Franco. I really admire him as an artist even if I don't like everything he does. Plus, now that Johnny Depp is revealed to be a dirtball wife-beater, I really need a quirky, independent-minded, creative, handsome actor/writer to admire. Franco's got it, babyyyyy. He better not turn out to be a creep!

And I agree with everything Paul said about Cameron H.'s post. Way to raise the level of discourse on the entire Internet single-handedly, good sir!
Posted Image


Thanks, Quasar! You’re too kind!

Speaking of Franco, did you hear he’s developing a Multiple Man movie?

Posted Image

I would assume they would be adapting (to some degree) Peter David’s take on the character - including all the X-Factor investigation. I love that run so hard. And, you know what? I’d love to see Paul in there as Strong Guy.

Posted Image

I know Paul’s a busy guy, but I hope the next time he speaks with Franco he puts that worm in his ear. Hell, if Franco doesn’t want to do it, I’ll write it myself.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#18 Cam Bert

    Foreign Correspondent

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostCameron H., on 02 December 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

I would assume they would be adapting (to some degree) Peter David’s take on the character - including all the X-Factor investigation. I love that run so hard. And, you know what? I’d love to see Paul in there as Strong Guy.

Did anyone other than Peter David ever write a good Multiple Man? I sometimes feel that way about Quicksilver too.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#19 Quasar Sniffer

    Elitist Prick

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostCameron H., on 02 December 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:


Thanks, Quasar! You’re too kind!

Speaking of Franco, did you hear he’s developing a Multiple Man movie?

Posted Image

I would assume they would be adapting (to some degree) Peter David’s take on the character - including all the X-Factor investigation. I love that run so hard. And, you know what? I’d love to see Paul in there as Strong Guy.

Posted Image

I know Paul’s a busy guy, but I hope the next time he speaks with Franco he puts that worm in his ear. Hell, if Franco doesn’t want to do it, I’ll write it myself.


I AM aware of the Franco-spearheaded Multiple Man project! As my initial post probably indicates, I duly hope it comes to fruition. And Paul Scheer as Strong Guy would be magnificent. Worth it for just the behind-the-scenes photos of Paul in a black and pink MoCap suit, standing on four foot stilts, gabbing with Multiple Francos.
"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat - a Studebaker."
- The Muppet Movie (1979)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#20 Cameron H.

    Neil Diamond Super Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 02 December 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:


Did anyone other than Peter David ever write a good Multiple Man? I sometimes feel that way about Quicksilver too.


Other writers just tend to kill him off by some kind of disease until Peter David to resurrects him and reminds everyone how awesome he is.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a shame because Maddrox written by David is a Top 5 Character for me.

I probably agree with you on Quicksilver, too. Written by anyone else he’s like a less interesting Northstar.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)