46 replies to this topic

#21 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yaay, I watched this last night! It was fun to revisit, though some parts were a little slow, I definitely appreciate all the effort and creativity that went into its production.

Favorite song is probably Rainbow Connection, but Moving Right Along gets stuck in my head too.

I pretty much see The Muppets as kind of adult entertainment, but at a level that kids can appreciate. Again with this, and the original Muppet Show, I never really knew who the human guest stars were until I was older, but The Muppets definitely gave me an appreciation for them early on. I don't think there was anything particularly adult in this movie that I recall, aside from a few obscure references as mentioned above.

I wish there was more Sam the Eagle in the movie lol. Also I wish that Max had completely defected from Doc Hopper after the showdown and just gone to Hollywood with them. He deserved better.

#22 JammerLea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostDan Engler, on 04 December 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Since (I assume) most of you watched the movie digitally, check out this camera test footage from the "Kermit's 50th Anniversary Edition" DVD. Henson & co. were great even when they were just goofing around.

This was another thing I love about the Muppet performers, is how they can just goof around completely in character. It's very silly and endearing. My favorite still is the outtakes video from when John Oliver and Cookie Monster did a parody news show.

#23 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

View Postkateacola, on 04 December 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

Rainbow Connection always gets me in the feels.

Same. It makes me tear up.

#24 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostCameron H., on 04 December 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

What was everyone's favorite song? I think they'r all great, but I'm giving the edge to:

This is hard because almost all of them are good songs. For me though I'd say Movin' Right Along because it is fun and catchy. Plus it rhymes Saskatchewan!
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#25 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

If Paul Williams did nothing else but the music and lyrics to the songs in this movie, he (along with Kenneth Ascher) deserves to be in the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Of course, he has a whole other host of brilliant moments, including God damn Phantom of the Paradise. What a delightful little sprite of a composer. Or is he...?

Posted Image

Also, I kind of backed my way into loving this movie. I never watched it growing up. In fact, my first exposure to the Muppets as a kid outside of Sesame Street (which I loved as a child) was Muppet Babies, which I also loved, but certainly doesn't hold up the way the Sesame Street or the Muppet Films do. I'm pretty sure the fist Muppet film I saw was Muppet Christmas Carol, which I remember seeing in theaters. I would have been eight, which was probably too young to know who Michael Caine was, but I did take delight in my parents obviously knowing who he was and being entertained by him singing with the Muppets.

ANYWAY, I didn't sit down and watch this through until I was in college because... teenagers are terrible, I guess? It doesn't make sense as to why I waited a decade, considering how much I loved my first exposures to Henson's creations. I dunno. I saw it, I was in love, and I quickly obtained all the other Muppet movies. I have never looked back. I read and loved Henson's biography and I will defend the recent Muppets TV show on ABC until I die (COME AT ME!), even when other Muppet fans told me it sucked (they are wrong).

But God, the one-liners and cheesy jokes in this thing. I love it.

Kermit: Where did you learn to drive?
Fozzie: I took a correspondence course.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#26 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 04 December 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Same. It makes me tear up.

Posted Image
Me, too.
As I said in the other thread I definitely saw this movie as a kid, but I don't know it nearly as well as Caper or Manhatten.
Regardless, Kermit singing Rainbow Connection in the swamp turns me into a blubbering baby every time.

Fun story... I cried THROUGH THE ENTIRE new Muppet Movie (particularly when they got to Rainbow Connection.) I know this is dumb but I had this realization at some point when watching it- here's Jason Segel with his Muppet brother, traveling and meeting Muppets and having Muppet adventures- and he's my age almost exactly. He would have been a little kid watching Sesame Street, The Muppet Movie, maybe Caper and Manhatten... he very likely grew up with them just like I did. And I have to think that was no accident. "Me" and my generation were being included because it is a big part of our collective lives. That movie was for me.

Anyhoo... I love how this one starts with the meta/breaking the 4th wall style the Muppets have always used and then gives the Muppets an origin story.

#27 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 04 December 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

Anyhoo... I love how this one starts with the meta/breaking the 4th wall style the Muppets have always used and then gives the Muppets an origin story.

But I also love how, because it is so much a breaking of the fourth wall in the beginning, it doesn't have to be their origin story. It's a story that feels right, that feels magical. There are so many references to The Screenplay and such, that the Muppets themselves are acknowledging the outside forces molding their destinies. Fate puts them on this path together. Yet, it is only through their dedication to each other that they succeed. Kermit will always have "Rainbow Connection" in his heart because he and his friends made that connection with each other on this road trip, even if fate set them on that road trip in the first place.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#28 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image
Me, too.
As I said in the other thread I definitely saw this movie as a kid, but I don't know it nearly as well as Caper or Manhatten.
Regardless, Kermit singing Rainbow Connection in the swamp turns me into a blubbering baby every time.

Fun story... I cried THROUGH THE ENTIRE new Muppet Movie (particularly when they got to Rainbow Connection.) I know this is dumb but I had this realization at some point when watching it- here's Jason Segel with his Muppet brother, traveling and meeting Muppets and having Muppet adventures- and he's my age almost exactly. He would have been a little kid watching Sesame Street, The Muppet Movie, maybe Caper and Manhatten... he very likely grew up with them just like I did. And I have to think that was no accident. "Me" and my generation were being included because it is a big part of our collective lives. That movie was for me.

Great, now this post is making me tear up. LOL.

#29 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

This for sure. Movin' Right Along is a song I could hum or get stuck in my head. But Rainbow Connection is on another level of greatness for me. So, yes, I start crying about 10 seconds into this.

Then I cry again throughout the movie because it just works so well. The positive, endearing message of friendship, and sticking to your dreams.

That's definitely a great take on The Muppets.

I think it weirdly mirrors The Muppet Movie because that is clearly Jim Henson telling his life story and trying to make it in Hollywood.

#30 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

I've been humming "Moving Right Along" all day. I want to learn it on banjo.

This has been fun ... I realized that I didn't remember anything about this movie besides the Big Bird cameo, meeting Sweetums at the car dealer, and Arthur Pendleton's part as the villain henchman ... he stood out to me because another favorite childhood movie of mine was Short Circuit, where Pendleton played Gutenberg's boss at the military base.

Also, I think I would've liked The Jazz Singer 1000% better if, at some point, Neil Diamond had just signed a "standard rich-and-famous" contract.

Posted Image

Great pick, Jammer!

Oh by the way ... the Muppets did 9/11

#31 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 05 December 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Also, I think I would've liked The Jazz Singer 1000% better if, at some point, Neil Diamond had just signed a "standard rich-and-famous" contract.

Posted Image

I love old/fat Orson Welles. It always makes me think of this from The Critic - They've really distilled OF-OW.

#32 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 05 December 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

I love old/fat Orson Welles. It always makes me think of this from The Critic - They've really distilled OF-OW.
Any excuse to share this

#33 The Triple Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:43 AM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 05 December 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Any excuse to share this

All this begs the questions, how drunk was O/F-OW during his turn as Lew Lord?

Or how much did he quibble about the syntax of his single line?

#34 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:53 AM

I find myself moved by your attestations of tearing up at the 2011 Muppet Movie with Jason Segel (which I also love. SHOCKING TWIST, right guys?). I guess this goes back to my comment in last week's Musical Mondays Pick thread about my soul being a desiccated husk. I NEVER tear up at movies, or at songs or TV shows, for that matter. This is why I love the Muppets so much, they get an actual emotional reaction from me (though not to tears), and I am heartened to see other people tear up at these magically simplistic pieces of puppetry. That they can get grown adult humans to believe in their agency just as strong, or stronger, then "actual human" characters is pretty fantastic, and a testament to Henson's genius.
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

#35 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:48 AM

For those of you who like to cry, I watched I am Big Bird: the Carroll Spinney Story earlier this year. At the end: uncontrollable tears. I was watching on my phone, too. So had you been in the room with me it was it would have looked like: Silence. Silence. Silence. Heart-wrenching sobbing out of nowhere.
Max: You know what? I can’t do this for another second.
Geostorm (2017)

"Pack up!"
Om Shanti Om (2007)

#36 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 06 December 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

All this begs the questions, how drunk was O/F-OW during his turn as Lew Lord?

That's a myth!

Yeth?
Posted Image
(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Mary Lane, Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

#37 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

This has been and continues to be one of my favorite soldier homecoming videos. As soon as I saw the girl stand up and start to walk to her dad I thought how much she looked like Janice (from the Electric Mayhem) in human form. I mean no disrespect to the girl at all. Her love for her dad still tugs at my heart.

(singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."

#38 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:06 AM

When Gonzo is singing about "going back there some day" is he singing about space or just as high as he was hanging from the balloons? Is that a foreshadow of Muppets in Space? Also, isn't it him hanging on to the balloons that crash through the studio roof creating the hole the rainbow comes in? Does he keep on flying?

#39 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Besides O.F.O.W... any favorite cameos?

I think mine was Cloris Leachman...
Posted Image
Looking GOOD!

#40 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 07 December 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

Besides O.F.O.W... any favorite cameos?

I think mine was Cloris Leachman...
Posted Image
Looking GOOD!

Cloris’ cameo is when it really clicked for me that this was in the 70s lol Steve Martin’s hair was a great clue too, but hair changes so fast.