🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 26 The Muppet Movie

Same. It makes me tear up.

12d642e3fca2d3a462291dc75544fdc7.gif

Me, too.

As I said in the other thread I definitely saw this movie as a kid, but I don't know it nearly as well as Caper or Manhatten.

Regardless, Kermit singing Rainbow Connection in the swamp turns me into a blubbering baby every time.

Fun story... I cried THROUGH THE ENTIRE new Muppet Movie (particularly when they got to Rainbow Connection.) I know this is dumb but I had this realization at some point when watching it- here's Jason Segel with his Muppet brother, traveling and meeting Muppets and having Muppet adventures- and he's my age almost exactly. He would have been a little kid watching Sesame Street, The Muppet Movie, maybe Caper and Manhatten... he very likely grew up with them just like I did. And I have to think that was no accident. "Me" and my generation were being included because it is a big part of our collective lives. That movie was for me.

Anyhoo... I love how this one starts with the meta/breaking the 4th wall style the Muppets have always used and then gives the Muppets an origin story.

• Like 9

Anyhoo... I love how this one starts with the meta/breaking the 4th wall style the Muppets have always used and then gives the Muppets an origin story.

But I also love how, because it is so much a breaking of the fourth wall in the beginning, it doesn't have to be their origin story. It's a story that feels right, that feels magical. There are so many references to The Screenplay and such, that the Muppets themselves are acknowledging the outside forces molding their destinies. Fate puts them on this path together. Yet, it is only through their dedication to each other that they succeed. Kermit will always have "Rainbow Connection" in his heart because he and his friends made that connection with each other on this road trip, even if fate set them on that road trip in the first place.

• Like 7

12d642e3fca2d3a462291dc75544fdc7.gif

Me, too.

As I said in the other thread I definitely saw this movie as a kid, but I don't know it nearly as well as Caper or Manhatten.

Regardless, Kermit singing Rainbow Connection in the swamp turns me into a blubbering baby every time.

Fun story... I cried THROUGH THE ENTIRE new Muppet Movie (particularly when they got to Rainbow Connection.) I know this is dumb but I had this realization at some point when watching it- here's Jason Segel with his Muppet brother, traveling and meeting Muppets and having Muppet adventures- and he's my age almost exactly. He would have been a little kid watching Sesame Street, The Muppet Movie, maybe Caper and Manhatten... he very likely grew up with them just like I did. And I have to think that was no accident. "Me" and my generation were being included because it is a big part of our collective lives. That movie was for me.

Great, now this post is making me tear up. LOL.

• Like 8

This for sure. Movin' Right Along is a song I could hum or get stuck in my head. But Rainbow Connection is on another level of greatness for me. So, yes, I start crying about 10 seconds into this.

Then I cry again throughout the movie because it just works so well. The positive, endearing message of friendship, and sticking to your dreams.

That's definitely a great take on The Muppets.

I think it weirdly mirrors The Muppet Movie because that is clearly Jim Henson telling his life story and trying to make it in Hollywood.

• Like 6

I've been humming "Moving Right Along" all day. I want to learn it on banjo.

This has been fun ... I realized that I didn't remember anything about this movie besides the Big Bird cameo, meeting Sweetums at the car dealer, and Arthur Pendleton's part as the villain henchman ... he stood out to me because another favorite childhood movie of mine was Short Circuit, where Pendleton played Gutenberg's boss at the military base.

Also, I think I would've liked The Jazz Singer 1000% better if, at some point, Neil Diamond had just signed a "standard rich-and-famous" contract.

mm1.jpg

Great pick, Jammer!

Oh by the way ... the Muppets did 9/11

• Like 7

Also, I think I would've liked The Jazz Singer 1000% better if, at some point, Neil Diamond had just signed a "standard rich-and-famous" contract.

mm1.jpg

I love old/fat Orson Welles. It always makes me think of this from The Critic - They've really distilled OF-OW.

• Like 7

I love old/fat Orson Welles. It always makes me think of this from The Critic - They've really distilled OF-OW.

Any excuse to share this

• Like 4

Any excuse to share this

All this begs the questions, how drunk was O/F-OW during his turn as Lew Lord?

Or how much did he quibble about the syntax of his single line?

• Like 2

I find myself moved by your attestations of tearing up at the 2011 Muppet Movie with Jason Segel (which I also love. SHOCKING TWIST, right guys?). I guess this goes back to my comment in last week's Musical Mondays Pick thread about my soul being a desiccated husk. I NEVER tear up at movies, or at songs or TV shows, for that matter. This is why I love the Muppets so much, they get an actual emotional reaction from me (though not to tears), and I am heartened to see other people tear up at these magically simplistic pieces of puppetry. That they can get grown adult humans to believe in their agency just as strong, or stronger, then "actual human" characters is pretty fantastic, and a testament to Henson's genius.

• Like 5

For those of you who like to cry, I watched I am Big Bird: the Carroll Spinney Story earlier this year. At the end: uncontrollable tears. I was watching on my phone, too. So had you been in the room with me it was it would have looked like: Silence. Silence. Silence. Heart-wrenching sobbing out of nowhere.

• Like 5

All this begs the questions, how drunk was O/F-OW during his turn as Lew Lord?

That's a myth!

Yeth?

the-muppet-movie-comedy.png

• Like 2

This has been and continues to be one of my favorite soldier homecoming videos. As soon as I saw the girl stand up and start to walk to her dad I thought how much she looked like Janice (from the Electric Mayhem) in human form. I mean no disrespect to the girl at all. Her love for her dad still tugs at my heart.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

When Gonzo is singing about "going back there some day" is he singing about space or just as high as he was hanging from the balloons? Is that a foreshadow of Muppets in Space? Also, isn't it him hanging on to the balloons that crash through the studio roof creating the hole the rainbow comes in? Does he keep on flying?

• Like 2

Besides O.F.O.W... any favorite cameos?

I think mine was Cloris Leachman...

5b8ea9fe-b95d-42fa-a394-19521aca08ca_100_h_6.gif

Looking GOOD!

• Like 4

Looking GOOD!

Cloris’ cameo is when it really clicked for me that this was in the 70s lol Steve Martin’s hair was a great clue too, but hair changes so fast.

• Like 6

Looking GOOD!

Frau Blucher really cleaned up nicely.

20120912__20120914_C3_AE14BESTBETS3p1.jpg?w=600

• Like 3

Looking GOOD!

It took me a while to realize this was Cloris ... it's probably the hair ... has kind of a "Sia" effect. Sia-arrives-at-The-Creators-Party-2016-billboard-650.jpg

But my favorite cameo in anything is always Madeline Kahn, and this movie is no exception:

vlcsnap-2009-12-12-04h22m25s223.png

She was always such a knockout ... and she's doing her Blazing Saddles voice, to boot.

• Like 4

Looking GOOD!

My favorite is Carol Kane but only because her voice is so different than what we usually hear (and she's wearing the exact same outfit (as far as I can tell) every time she pops up). Compare her voice with Taxi or The Princess Bride.

• Like 2

It took me a while to realize this was Cloris ... it's probably the hair ... has kind of a "Sia" effect. Sia-arrives-at-The-Creators-Party-2016-billboard-650.jpg

But my favorite cameo in anything is always Madeline Kahn, and this movie is no exception:

vlcsnap-2009-12-12-04h22m25s223.png

She was always such a knockout ... and she's doing her Blazing Saddles voice, to boot.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 2

Though I thoroughly enjoy everyone's cameo, my favorite has gotta be Steve Martin as the Insolent Waiter. It plays like classic sketch comedy that is reminiscent of the best of The Muppet Show or maybe even SNL (though it'd be stretched to three times as long and overstay its welcome). It's short, sweet, and hilarious, and Martin's disgusted sarcasm contrasted with Kermit's naive confidence that he is showing Miss Piggy the pinnacle of luxury, and her accompanying acceptance that he is providing it, delights me to no end.

• Like 4

Though I thoroughly enjoy everyone's cameo, my favorite has gotta be Steve Martin as the Insolent Waiter. It plays like classic sketch comedy that is reminiscent of the best of The Muppet Show or maybe even SNL (though it'd be stretched to three times as long and overstay its welcome). It's short, sweet, and hilarious, and Martin's disgusted sarcasm contrasted with Kermit's naive confidence that he is showing Miss Piggy the pinnacle of luxury, and her accompanying acceptance that he is providing it, delights me to no end.

His short shorts made me LOL.

• Like 2

Guys, I wish I had come back a week earlier because I FUCKING LOVE The Muppet Movie. It's one of those movies that I saw a billion times growing up. I used to hide behind my dad's recliner when the ghost town scene started because "Animal gonna get big and scare me."

• Like 3